Start by marking “Clever: Leading Your Smartest, Most Creative People” as Want to Read:
Clever: Leading Your Smartest, Most Creative People

Clever: Leading Your Smartest, Most Creative People

If your company is like most, it has a handful of people who generate disproportionate quantities of value: A researcher creates products that bankroll the entire organization for decades. A manager spots consumer-spending patterns no one else sees and defines new market categories your enterprise can serve. A strategist anticipates global changes and correctly interprets

Published August 25th 2009 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Clever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clever

Patrick Neylan
Dec 28, 2014 Patrick Neylan rated it did not like it
Is this the worst business book ever published? I could write all night and still not find enough insults to throw at it, and every one of them justified. It's terrible.

This quivering slab of moist platitudes reminds me of the sort of patronising, vapid nonsense peddled on daytime TV, usually in the name of self-improvement. The glibness and shallowness are astounding, such that I had to stop reading every few paragraphs to scratch my head and marvel that such drivel could ever have got publishe
Jorge Edgar
Oct 07, 2016 Jorge Edgar rated it it was amazing
Goffee, me parece, es un sabio de la administración y gestión empresarial. Leerlo y escucharlo demanda total atención y enfoque.
Académico, investigador, autor, ha realizado trabajos en colaboración con varios especialistas del tema de liderazgo, cultura organizacional, cambio y manejo directivo de personas, en este último tema, sobre todo en la dirección de personas creativas y de perfiles altos.
El presente trabajo, además de otorgar bases de liderazgo y administración del talento, inspira y o
E
May 03, 2010 E rated it really liked it
A thoughtful guide to managing clever workers

Clever employees dream up intriguing new products and services, and develop revolutionary processes that catapult their organizations over their competitors. As such, they are crucial to a company’s success. However, as consultants Rob Goffee and Gareth Jones explain, leading them can be a huge challenge. Manage them too much, and they will leave and take their brilliant ideas to your competitors. Manage them too little, and they may waste precious co
Mark Dongen
Apr 22, 2013 Mark Dongen rated it really liked it
I like Goffey & Jones, when they write together. Having been in lectures of Garath, the story takes on a whole new life, as he is a great story teller. The basis of the book is solid research, I like that the businesscases he uses are companies we can imagine, not unknown ones, but companies to a certain extend symbolic for their products or their brands. This is one of the books that inspired me to do a PhD on Leadership development of high potentials, so I am biassed I will admit.

A very go
Steve Goodyear
May 13, 2013 Steve Goodyear rated it really liked it
I loved the insights and perspective this book brought for managing clever people. It gave me some insights into how I fit as a clever person on a team or in a workplace, and where the source of some of my frustrations or challenges lay. I found it useful both in looking at my own career and at how to engage with other clever people.
Denis Korsunov
May 21, 2013 Denis Korsunov rated it it was amazing
Authors proclaim the beginning of clever economy era where clever companies will prevail and key source of success of such companies will be clever people (smart, talented, creative individuals capable to create huge amounts of value for their organizations). And leading (not managing) is keystone to unleash of full potential of clever people.
Gerard Brown
Generally I am not a fan of management books, but this is interesting...especially if you spend time around artists, designers and other creatives. If you're one of them, you might recognize yourself in the descriptions. If you're working with them, you'll be subconsciously saying, yes, that's so-and-so they're writing about...
Sean
Jan 25, 2012 Sean rated it liked it
The book uses a few companies as case studies. Would have preferred more examples as it can feel pretty stale even though it is focusing on different lessons.
Gopalkrishna Sahu
Gopalkrishna Sahu rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Vartika
Vartika rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Wes Patterson
Wes Patterson rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2012
Paris Nikolopoulos
Paris Nikolopoulos rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Andrew Aus
Andrew Aus rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Kenneth Mikkelsen
Kenneth Mikkelsen rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Elinor
Elinor rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Adam Maikkula
Adam Maikkula rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Siby Philip
Siby Philip rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Brad Rushworth
Brad Rushworth rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Santosh
Santosh rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Tricia Friedman
Tricia Friedman rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Ashley Thompson
Ashley Thompson rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Ian Mann
Ian Mann rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Danilo Barbieri
Danilo Barbieri rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Kevin Peck
Kevin Peck rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2009
Irina
Irina rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Alissa Perlman
Alissa Perlman rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • "I Love You More Than My Dog": Five Decisions That Drive Extreme Customer Loyalty in Good Times and Bad
  • Leadership Presence
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • Working for You Isn't Working for Me: The Ultimate Guide to Managing Your Boss
  • The Living Company
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Exploiting Chaos: 150 Ways to Spark Innovation During Times of Change
  • Power Friending: Demystifying Social Media to Grow Your Business
  • Agile Coaching
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • The Laws of Subtraction: Six Simple Rules for Winning in the Age of Excess Everything