Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  4,944 ratings  ·  75 reviews
This significantly expanded edition of W. H. Auden’s Selected Poems adds twenty poems to the hundred in the original edition, broadening its focus to better reflect the enormous wealth of form, rhetoric, tone, and content in Auden’s work. Newly included are such favorites as “Funeral Blues” and other works that represent Auden’s lighter, comic side, giving a fuller picture ...more
Published February 12th 1979 by Vintage (first published 1958)

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
58th out of 1,553 books — 1,723 voters
Leaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanCrush by Richard SikenThe Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara by Frank O'HaraThe Fact of a Doorframe by Adrienne RichHowl by Allen Ginsberg
Gay/Queer Poetry
8th out of 136 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Florencia Brino
I would love to say that I chose this book because I saw it in some library and thanks to my keen eye and awesome brain, I decided to read it because I had this weird hunch that it was going to be amazing. Unfortunately, the reason why I chose it is far less poetic. I think a lot of us got to know this poet because of that movie. From the first time I watched it, I couldn't get a particular poem out of my head. It was recited by a man at his partner's funeral. Such a beautiful and intense poem. ...more
May 05, 2013 AC marked it as browsing
Shelves: poetry
This is something really new for me. I only began reading literature again, after a multi-decades long hiatus, 2 yrs ago. Poetry in particular has always been inaccessible to me – I mean, I read a lot of Greek and Latin poetry, of course – but somehow that’s different – but I’ve *never* been able to read poetry in my own language, and have never understand any modern poetry at all. So that I’ve now come to the point of reading Auden is a mark of the progress I’ve made – difficult as it’s been.

I bought this book just for the inscription:

For Heather...
Because poetry can heal the soul.
With love,
(Dec. 2001)

I've spent many an hour wondering about Jason and Heather, whether poetry did in fact heal her soul, and why a gift given with love ended up on the discount clearance rack at Hastings.

I'm not so hot on Auden's brand of rhyming poetry. It just doesn't speak to me. Neruda, Whitman, Wordsworth -- these are the poets of my soul.
Lovely stuff. One of my favorites is a poem he wrote for Sigmund Freud after his death - it's long, so here's a bit of it:

"In Memory of Sigmund Freud

When there are so many we shall have to mourn,
when grief has been made so public, and exposed
to the critique of a whole epoch
the frailty of our conscience and anguish,

of whom shall we speak? For every day they die
among us, those who were doing us some good,
who knew it was never enough but
hoped to improve a little by living.

but he would have us re
Patrick Gibson
I have had a hard bound copy of this volume for many years. I contains fragments and restorations of many unknown or unpublished poems. There are moments here where your hear soars.

The life of man is never quite completed;
The daring and the chatter will go on:
But, as an artist feels his power gone,
These walk the earth and know themselves defeated.

Some could not bear nor break the young and mourn for
The wounded myths that once made nations good,
Some lost a world they never understood,
Jul 30, 2007 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
He is in my pantheon. A brilliant poet who nevertheless is accessible and understandable. And to have written one poem in your life as good as "In Memory of W.B. Yeats" would be enough to ensure access to heaven. It ends with this wonderful appeal to all poets:

Follow, poet, follow right
To the bottom of the night,
With your unconstraining voice
Still persuade us to rejoice;

With the farming of a verse
Make a vineyard of the curse,
Sing of human unsuccess
In a rapture of distress;

In the deserts
Jerome K
I have a much older edition of Auden's Selected Poems, when his Funeral Blues poem was still part of Two Songs for Hedli Anderson. I love Auden. More and more over the years actually. He's not as quotable as Frost. Or as monumental as Yeats and TS Elliot. He's more like a longtime friend who's not always steady on his feet, occassionally overreaching, a bit heartbroken, a bit bitter, a bit sweet, a whole lot of queen (LOL). If I could meet any poet from the past, I'd choose Auden.
No sé cómo reseñar un libro de poesía. No tengo la menor idea. No sé cuándo un poeta es bueno, cuándo la calidad es superior, no sé nada, sólo puedo juzgarles por lo que me han transmitido. Para mí una persona que es capaz de escribir poesía es un Dios, me parece algo maravilloso, digno de otro mundo y disfruto más que nada leyéndola.
En Auden he encontrado a un autor diferente a los que he leído por el momento. He disfrutado con sus referencias a la mitología griega, con esas pequeñas pullas, es
Lexi (Pink Jellyfish)
i really loved it....he has some poems that move you to tears...
my favourite is Funeral Blues
I really enjoyed finally sitting down with Auden -- though I definitely need to read him and Joseph Brodsky side-by-side, and I'd like to read more about his queerness and how it might have influenced his work. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. But I'm keen for more!
B the BookAddict
Auden is a true genius; such a purity of words, thoughts, emotions. A book I studied at uni and have come back to many times over. Not to be read cover to cover; you must read in short bursts, taste these poems a little at a time.

His poem Funereal was featured in the iconic Four Weddings and a Funereal film of the 1990s and that is where a lot of people first heard this wonderful writer's work. For me, it was a joy to have his work recognised in the public eye.

A book which sits on my best of the
Only downside of this selection - it's way too short. It's an introduction at best and makes you want to read more.
Daniella Mejia
I love the book but at the end I did not understand it
Note to the Expanded Edition

--Who stands, the crux left of the watershed
--From the very first coming down
--Control of the passes was, he saw, the key
--Taller to-day, we remember similar evenings
--Watch any day his nonchalant pauses, see
--Will you turn a deaf ear
--Sir, no man's enemy, forgiving all
--It was Easter as I walked in the public gardens
--Since you are going to begin to-day
--Consider this and in our time
--This lunar beauty
--To ask the hard question is simple
--Doom is dark and
reading auden takes such emotional energy for me. he has such a terrific talent, and a completely unique cadence among the modern poets. what hurts is the knowledge that -- too soon -- he left his art. after publishing "September 1, 1939" which drove thousand of spaniards to a grisly grave, auden wrote that his greatest wish was to never again write a single word of consequence. unfortunately for us all, he succeeded.

September 1, 1939

I sit in one of the dives
On Fifty-second Street
Uncertain and
Mar 22, 2012 Jenny added it
Shelves: poetry
I don't think this is exactly the edition I read, although mine (the Everyman Pocket Poet edition, which wasn’t listed on Goodreads) is also edited by Edward Mendelson. My favorites from this volume are A Thanksgiving, Archaeology, The History of Truth, The Shield of Achilles, First Things First, The Fall of Rome, In Memory of W.B. Yeats, Funeral Blues, and At Last the Secret is Out.

After reading through this book of poems, I now want to read everything Auden has written—I love how at least hal
I didn't come to Auden with many preconceptions, so I really didn't know what to expect when I began reading this volume of his poems. Sure, sure, i'd heard "funeral blues", and i had some vague understanding of him as leaning towards the left in the thirties. But his style? His way of writing? Not much.

In his introduction, Mendelson says that Auden was the first poet at home in the twentieth century, and I didn't really understand what this meant until i got to the famous poem "September 1, 193
Bob Hartley
I thought I'd like Auden because some of his quotes are fandabbydosey, but it seems like his best aphorisms were saved for interviews or something because I find it hard to see what merits him as an author widely studied (which is an assumption; my copy's full of ingenuous handwriting relating someone's teacher's wild misinterpretations (we all know that "blue curtain" analogy)). I might just be of the wrong demographic to enjoy Auden, but I'm put off by his attraction to meandering rhyme scheme ...more
May 31, 2008 Baiocco rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like short poems, people who like the poem just transcribed
Shelves: poetry
These weren't great, but they were better than most because they were short. I don't understand what it means to be political anymore, and if it's anything like what I think its means, i don't want any part of it. And what a political poet is I have no clue, but Auden usually gets that rap when he isn't being dismissed as being just another lyrical Romanticist gay poet. But what gay poet isn't Romantic? Anyway, here is far and away my favorite poem in this collection and definitely the only one ...more
I frequently find Auden's poetry awe-inspiring. The poems here are an amazing collection in depth and breadth. I'm sure I will come back to this collection again and gain. I gave the volume 4/5 because I would have enjoyed more indexing, better layout and more treatment. A great bargain at the price, but if I'd realized how much I appreciate Auden's work, I'd have gone looking for more refined (and expensive) publications of his work. I'll likely use this as a working copy for notes, dog ears, a ...more
Overall I'm not a huge fan of Auden's work, but the 5 (yes 5, out of over a hundred I suspect) that I do like I absolutely love; and they are 'Funeral Blues', 'Miss Gee', 'As I Walked Out One Evening', 'O Tell Me The Truth About Love' and 'But I Can't'. Auden hasn't really lit a spark in me in either a good or bad way, it is just meh, if you like that sort of thing then great, but I'm not blown away.
Maria Ch
I will not elaborate on this review since Auden's poetry does not really match my taste. The collection was indeed an interesting read, I particularly enjoyed the story telling aspect of some poems, the political echoes of the second world war, the allusions to mythology and mythological as well as other past and contemporary literary figures to whom some of the best poems of the collection are dedicated to (At the grave of Henry James, In Memory of Sigmund Freud, In Memory of W. B. Yeats).
A comprehensive collection & a great introduction to the poetry of W.H. Auden. I read this book after seeing it listed on a recommended reading list from my English A Level teacher but it was a real surprise & a real gem. Auden takes the traditional forms of poetry & makes them his own which makes his work really accessible, especially because he tends to take a realistic look at life's great events while still maintaining some Romance & drama. There were so many lines which I un ...more
So much to say about Auden.
It's a pleasure to read a poet who's range of style and subject nearly the entire galaxy of poetry, from little haikus and ironic stand-alone couplets, to lengthy meditations on religion and literature and history, to wonderful little pastoral poems. His breathed new life into old forms at a time when modernist poets were abandoning older teachings. They sound great when read aloud or to oneself.

Don't forget to get this in addition to his W H Auden Collected Poems, for
I'm sitting on the campgrounds right now, waiting for Sarah to come back with lunch. More and more I feel as if I am using Goodreads as my own personal sort of journal, a "what was I doing when I read this book" type of site. Which is excellent for me, but not very helpful as a review. So.

Auden is good, very good. I appreciate his sense of humor, his deep cynicism, and even his moments of optimism. Very rarely do I find myself enjoying a whole poem on its own, however. Usually I find myself sele
I'm re-reading Auden's poems out of this volume.

"What does the song hope for? And the moved hands/A little way from the birds, the shy, the delightful?"

Auden's verse is magnificent; he writes his villanelles and sonnets without a trace of the "unctious urbanity" that those forms are seen, by many readers today, to represent. He knows what he's doing, yet doesn't wantonly careen into that indecipherable "academic" enclave of poetry that finds such disdain for simple language and traditional for
Dean Tsang
The selection of poems provided some interesting insight into Auden's writing style- I found Epilogue, In Memory of W.B Yeats, Aubade and Address to the Beasts to be my favourites among his poems, although the lack of such poems as September 1, 1939 was slightly disappointing. It didn't stop this from being an excellent collection, and the introduction does justice in telling us of Auden and the undeniable impact he had on Literature.

Recommended? Of course, Auden's a classic, and while not all
A broad canvas of poems spanning the author's entire life. Some of the earliest poems are enigmatic to the point of frustration, some of the later poems are silly and grin-inducing, there are wonderful images and lines and pieces scattered throughout, but the main reason to read this book--and the only reason I've given it 5 stars--is "Caliban's Address to the Audience" in THE SEA AND THE MIRROR. In that stunning prose poem, Shakespeare, speaking through Caliban, addresses the would-be writers a ...more
I liked a lot of his work. Particulary, Epitaph on a Tyrant, The Fall of Rome, Lay your Sleeping Head, My Love, On the Circuit, The Shield of Achilles, and The Unknown Citizen.
A fine collection of Auden's poems. 'Funeral Blues', 'O What is that sound?', 'If I could tell you' and 'Their lonely betters' and truly sublime. A good exercise for quieting the mind and letting your heart speak.
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Collected Poems
  • Opened Ground: Selected Poems, 1966-1996
  • The Dream Songs
  • The Complete Poems
  • W.B. Yeats: Poems Selected by Seamus Heaney
  • Four Quartets
  • The Complete Poems
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Complete Poems
  • Poems New and Collected
  • The Complete Poems, 1927-1979
  • Collected Poems
Collected Poems Tell Me the Truth about Love Auden: Poems As I Walked Out One Evening: Songs, Ballads, Lullabies, Limericks & Other Light Verse The Dyer's Hand

“The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.”
“Time will say nothing but I told you so,
Time only knows the price we have to pay;
If I could tell you I would let you know.”