Start by marking “Dog Gone” as Want to Read:
Dog Gone

Dog Gone

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
I never understood this before, but these days I hardly get through breakfast without thinking about running, like Dead End, from the think and sticky sadness that stains every inch of our home.
"Dead End does have a mind of his own," Cub says low.
"That doesn't make him a bad dog," I snap. "Maybe it makes him a smart dog."

Twelve-year-old Dill is desperately trying to kee
Published April 27th 2009 by Square Fish (first published April 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Gone, please sign up.

Allison Lundgren
Ok, so I got this book at a book fair in 5th grade. I read the back, and I bought it because it sounded okay. I'm not a big reader, but this book was so awesome that I managed to read it in three days. Dog Gone really send messages about not lying and, quoting Dill's Granddad,"Facing life head on," in a way that makes you cry in the end. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, not just dog lovers, and country lives. The cliffhangers at the end of the chapters kept me reading until I ha ...more
Kate  K. F.
Dec 17, 2012 Kate K. F. rated it liked it
This book tries quite hard to tell the story of Dill, Dylan who is recovering from her mother's recent death from cancer with her father and grandfather. Things are complicated as the dog, Dead End that her mother adopted is suspected of being part of a pack of dogs that are attacking livestock. Dill spends most of the book focused on Dead End as a way to try and fix things without really dealing with them. Some parts of this book are well done, the dialogue and relationships between the charact ...more
Tori Albitos
May 25, 2016 Tori Albitos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My cousin had this book in her room, and since I love dogs, I read it. At first I was kinda bored and confused with it, but as you get into the story you'll understand all the tiny things. This is a great book, because only great books and great authors make me cry about words on a page. I do wish they'd explained what happened with Skeeter after all this mess, though.
Julie
Feb 02, 2012 Julie rated it did not like it
Early on I did not like the book for a myriad of reasons, including: (1) it was not at all the story I expected from reading the cover, and (2) the subject matter of a parent dying from cancer is personally difficult. I skimmed the book because I still wanted to know what happened to girl and dog, but was extremely disappointed that I bothered. In the story, the need to face life's difficulties head on is often mentioned; however, the author did not face her own novel's end head on! Problems are ...more
Charlyn
Jun 20, 2010 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grade 4 and up
The death of Dill's mother has splintered the family. Her father no longer eats meals at home, her grandfather tries to draw Dill's feelings out, and the family dog, Dead End, disappears frequently, returning covered with manure and blood. When the word goes out that dog packs are chasing and killing area livestock, Dill's life is monopolized by her fear that the dog her mother loved so much is in danger. Her longtime best friend Cub tries to stand beside her and help her, but it's a tough job w ...more
Nick
May 19, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't think I would enjoy this that much... But I did.
Roslyn Daly
Good book not great
Shannon Hitchcock
On the cover, Newbery Honor Winner, Ann M. Martin, writes, "I couldn't put this down. More than a dog story, this is a many-layered tale of loss and grief. I completely agree Ms. Martin's assessment. This book will find a special place in the heart of pet lovers.
Kay Mcgriff
Jul 21, 2013 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bring on the tissues. This is one dog story where the dog doesn't die, but there is plenty to tug at your heart. Dill is stubborn, but she loves deeply. In the end she must learn to face life's problems head on instead of running from them.
Sa
Feb 17, 2009 Sa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet story. I love this book. It’s a great read. Dog Gone is full of suspense, especially for a young reader. One of the things I loved about this book is it's timelessness. It reads like a classic from a long time ago.
Kathy
Aug 15, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good story with lots of reasons to have a kleenex nearby. Dealing with the death of her mother and blaming her dad, Dill bonds with a dog.
Nice dialogue, fits the southern setting.
Robyn
Feb 09, 2010 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book for kids 9 and up to adulthood. A fantastic story line supported by memorable characters and spectacular writing. I'm just glad Cindy assured me of a happy ending!
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel. Cynthia has a way with words that makes the story wrap itself around you like a warm blanket.
Debbie
Jun 30, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent children's book that explores loss, grief and healing through the eyes of a young girl and her dog.
Kerri
Jun 22, 2012 Kerri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This story is about a girl struggling with the death of her mother. It's a sad book, but ends well.
Tawnya
Sep 09, 2011 Tawnya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Cute story--lots of discussion topics for curious little minds.
Erika
Cynthia Willis came and met w/bookclub after reading this
Alison John
Vanessa
Feb 07, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So tragic
Sarah Davis
Sarah Davis rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Kathy G.
Kathy G. marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Payton Halverson
Payton Halverson rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Cathy Schewe
Cathy Schewe marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Nicholas Haddad
Nicholas Haddad marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Andy Jun
Andy Jun marked it as to-read
Sydney Gontang
Sydney Gontang marked it as to-read
Abigail Cronk
Abigail Cronk marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cynthia Chapman Willis lives in Branchburg, New Jersey with her family and as many animals as they will tolerate and she can manage. DOG GONE (Feiwel and Friends, 2008) is her first middle grade novel. BUCK FEVER, her second middle grade novel, is due out October 27th, 2009.
More about Cynthia Chapman Willis...