Dog Gone

Dog Gone

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  15 reviews
I never understood this before, but these days I hardly get through breakfast without thinking about running, like Dead End, from the think and sticky sadness that stains every inch of our home.
“Dead End does have a mind of his own,” Cub says low.
“That doesn’t make him a bad dog,” I snap. “Maybe it makes him a smart dog.”

Twelve-year-old Dill is desperately trying to keep...more
Published April 27th 2009 by Square Fish (first published April 29th 2008)

Kate  K. F.
This book tries quite hard to tell the story of Dill, Dylan who is recovering from her mother's recent death from cancer with her father and grandfather. Things are complicated as the dog, Dead End that her mother adopted is suspected of being part of a pack of dogs that are attacking livestock. Dill spends most of the book focused on Dead End as a way to try and fix things without really dealing with them. Some parts of this book are well done, the dialogue and relationships between the charact...more
Julie
Early on I did not like the book for a myriad of reasons, including: (1) it was not at all the story I expected from reading the cover, and (2) the subject matter of a parent dying from cancer is personally difficult. I skimmed the book because I still wanted to know what happened to girl and dog, but was extremely disappointed that I bothered. In the story, the need to face life's difficulties head on is often mentioned; however, the author did not face her own novel's end head on! Problems are...more
Charlyn  Trussell
The death of Dill's mother has splintered the family. Her father no longer eats meals at home, her grandfather tries to draw Dill's feelings out, and the family dog, Dead End, disappears frequently, returning covered with manure and blood. When the word goes out that dog packs are chasing and killing area livestock, Dill's life is monopolized by her fear that the dog her mother loved so much is in danger. Her longtime best friend Cub tries to stand beside her and help her, but it's a tough job w...more
Shannon Hitchcock
On the cover, Newbery Honor Winner, Ann M. Martin, writes, "I couldn't put this down. More than a dog story, this is a many-layered tale of loss and grief. I completely agree Ms. Martin's assessment. This book will find a special place in the heart of pet lovers.
Kay Mcgriff
Bring on the tissues. This is one dog story where the dog doesn't die, but there is plenty to tug at your heart. Dill is stubborn, but she loves deeply. In the end she must learn to face life's problems head on instead of running from them.
Sa
This is such a sweet story. I love this book. It’s a great read. Dog Gone is full of suspense, especially for a young reader. One of the things I loved about this book is it's timelessness. It reads like a classic from a long time ago.
Kathy
This is a good story with lots of reasons to have a kleenex nearby. Dealing with the death of her mother and blaming her dad, Dill bonds with a dog.
Nice dialogue, fits the southern setting.
Robyn
Fabulous book for kids 9 and up to adulthood. A fantastic story line supported by memorable characters and spectacular writing. I'm just glad Cindy assured me of a happy ending!
Elizabeth
I really enjoyed this novel. Cynthia has a way with words that makes the story wrap itself around you like a warm blanket.
Debbie
An excellent children's book that explores loss, grief and healing through the eyes of a young girl and her dog.
Kerri
This story is about a girl struggling with the death of her mother. It's a sad book, but ends well.
Tawnya
Cute story--lots of discussion topics for curious little minds.
Erika
Cynthia Willis came and met w/bookclub after reading this
Audrey H
Sad. :(
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Jun 29, 2014
Briana
Briana is currently reading it
May 14, 2014
Jake
Jake added it
May 12, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Tian
Tian marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cynthia Chapman Willis lives in Branchburg, New Jersey with her family and as many animals as they will tolerate and she can manage. DOG GONE (Feiwel and Friends, 2008) is her first middle grade novel. BUCK FEVER, her second middle grade novel, is due out October 27th, 2009.
More about Cynthia Chapman Willis...
Buck Fever