Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Here in one volume is a selection of the extraordinary poems of Rita Dove, who, as the nation's Poet Laureate from 1993 to 1995, brought poetry into the lives of millions of people.Along with a new introduction and poem, Selected Poems comprises Dove's collections The Yellow House on the Corner, which includes a group of poems devoted to the themes of slavery and freedom;...more
Published September 28th 1993 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

The Collected Poems by Langston HughesThe Poetry of Pablo Neruda by Pablo NerudaLoose Woman by Sandra CisnerosBlessing the Boats by Lucille CliftonSelected Poems by Gwendolyn Brooks
Favorite Poets of Color
36th out of 240 books — 64 voters
The Color Purple by Alice WalkerTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Best African American Books
246th out of 510 books — 596 voters

More lists with this book...

Tai Harris
Rita Dove’s poetry reads like a narrative. They are so vivid and some are easy to understand. However, the majority of the pieces in this collection are so complex that it takes several reads to grasp an understanding of them. This collection touches on themes of love, race and sometimes mirror historical events as in the piece titled “The Transport of Slaves From Maryland to Mississippi”. I am always searching for historical events that I’ve experienced to write about, not realizing that just b...more
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Rita Dove is not an easy poet to read. She brings in material from her own history, which is most unusual -- top student in school, a Fulbright scholar, she is very much at home in the world of books, of American history, as well as her own life story and those of her family. The poetry is highly allusive and, if you don't know all the stuff that Ms. Dove knows, you may be missing a lot.
That said, she wears her education well. TS Eliot always seemed like the professorial type, dropping names th...more
David
This is a great set of poems from one of our master poets. Although her poetry generally engages with everyday matters, it does so in a way that fills those subjects with mystery. Largely it's the word choices, which constantly surprise with their freshness -- but it's also the startling perspectives she offers (the Thomas and Beulah poems are heartbreaking in how alone, how separate, they make their married protagonists) and the play with structure and stanza. Just today I read and re-read and...more
Sally Bozzuto
May 29, 2008 Sally Bozzuto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Recommended to Sally by: Emily Beyer
Still in the process of reading this collection--it contains several of her other books including Yellow House on the Corner, Museum and Thomas and Beulah.

Museum is magical but intense and Thomas and Beulah kind of blew my mind. It's two sets of poems from opposite sides of a love story and the writing is amazing.
Susan Botich
Rita Dove really knows how to spin intriguing story into her poems, using language that's completely accessible in a beautifully formed voice of naked honesty, opening the reader's insight into communities that may be unfamiliar but always deeply personal and evoking. Yes, I loved this collection!
Elise
Rita Dove's poetry is so vivid and vibrant. Most of the time when I read any of her poetry I feel like I'm looking at a painting. Its hard to describe the kind of experience I have when I read her poetry. Reading it really is just like an experience, thats all I can describe it as.
Scott
Dove's poems simply didn't resonate with me. They weren't dense or difficult, on the contrary. But I just didn't find myself in them nor did I discover great beauty. I'm sure others have a different experience, which is a reminder that sometimes poetry is very personal.
Kim
This is an interesting collection, and well worth reading. The sequence about the lives of her grandparents, "Thomas and Belulah," is especially impressive, and has some real winners in it (it won the Pulitzer, so duh).
Ashley Calvert
I really wanted to like this. I did. And some of the poems were really powerful to me, but others were...eh. I had problems with it keeping my attention. It's probably just not my style of poetry.
Kerry
Aug 27, 2007 Kerry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I first read this collection of poems in 2004, but I've read it at least three times since...the images and sound quality in Dove's poems are as close to perfect as I've yet found in poetry.
SmarterLilac
Rita Dove is so nice to read. She has a methodical, precise way of structuring her poems; every one reflects the most delicate and devoted sense of care.
Olivia
It should be made a crime for people not to know Rita Dove. My hands-down favorite modern poet. And in the running for my favorite ever . . .
Rae
Dove is a Pulitzer Prize winner and former Poet Laureate. This collection contains her well-known poem "Thomas and Beulah." Good stuff.
Jimmy
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the other reviewers seemed to have. I just didn't find it interesting enough.
Paul Agusta
one of the most honest and beautifully visceral American poets of the last half of the 20th century.
Marcia
One of my favorite poets!
Melvin
She is the master of the metaphor. Words become the hues of a painters palette in her deft hands and she illustrates the mental canvas with purposed brush strokes.
Jeff Laughlin
She's the best.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Rahma.m
Rahma.m marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Kellye
Kellye marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kelly Baron
Kelly Baron marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Ket5d
Ket5d marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
brokentapedeck
brokentapedeck marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • Selected Poems
  • Black Zodiac
  • Steal Away: Selected and New Poems
  • Adrienne Rich's Poetry and Prose
Rita Dove, former U.S. Poet Laureate, Pulitzer Prize winner, and musician, lives in Charlottesville, where she is Commonwealth Professor of English at the University of Virginia.
More about Rita Dove...
Thomas and Beulah Mother Love On the Bus With Rosa Parks American Smooth Sonata Mulattica