Start by marking “Cooking from Quilt Country : Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens” as Want to Read:
Cooking from Quilt Country : Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens

Cooking from Quilt Country : Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Includes nearly 200 family recipes from America's heartland, a culinary folk history of the Indiana Amish and Mennonites. This celebration of farm life is a companion volume to the PBS series hosted by Adams. 64 full-color photographs.
Published February 13th 1988 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Cooking from Quilt Country , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking from Quilt Country

Susan Laabs
This cookbook changed my life... Through this cookbook, I realized that I could cook any of these recipes and they would be enjoyed by all of my family. Each and every ingredient was well recognized and easily accessible. I enjoy the stories told before each recipe. The photographs are also really nice throughout the entire book. This cookbook is a staple in my Kitchen. Over the years, I have purchased a number of these cookbooks and gave them as gifts. Of all Marcia Adams cookbooks, this is my...more
Cheri
To me, good cookbooks are like anthropology texts--you learn about society and family systems, tools, faith, languages, and culture. This cookbook does a very good job of providing background on the Amish, Mennonite, and Dunkard people groups from whom these recipes come. While I don't know that many modern day cooks would use some of these recipes, it isn't the recipes for what to do with butchery scraps and ways to make food for 150 people before a barn-raising that are important to me. Rather...more
Karen
This was my mother's. I imagine it was a gift from someone -- if she bought a book she liked, she usually got one for me...Every recipe in it is good and the photos are wonderful. In August, 2009, my book group decided to read a cookbook (any, you choose) and copy a recipe for each member of our group. This was an easy choice.
Amber Berry
Of the three Amish cookbooks I borrowed, this is the oldest and the one I like best. Set in northern Indiana, the book takes us through the four seasons of a farm life. The photos are mostly of the land and activities and the faces of people are shown only in profile or shadow. There are no photos of the recipes.

But the recipes are what makes the book so precious to me, for my parents grew up on Indiana farms and I know this food in a way that is deeper than the food I've learned to love as an...more
Naomi Cannistraci
Love the recipes, Elderberry pie is on my list to make.
Michelle
I checked this book out from the library as I am interested in Amish cooking. Every single recipe I have made out of it is excellent - so good that I now own a copy. Try the Swiss Meat Loaf or the Dried Lima Bean Casserole. The Lima Bean Casserole is like baked beans made with limas. Yum!
This is one of my all-time favorite cookbooks. I have never made anything from any of Marcia Adams's cookbooks (I own this one, Heartland, and New Recipes from Quilt Country) that didn't come out right, and the food is well received by even picky eaters (plus the illustrations are fabulous).
Lisa
No shortcuts here. If you are looking for how to cook the basics from scratch, check here first. This book provides midwestern recipes from Amish and Mennonite kitchens. It is as much a history book as it is a recipe book. It depicts regional Indiana cuisine - season by season.
Ragan
This cookbook is filled with tasty recipes. Every recipe I have made out of this cookbook I have loved. It also contains beautiful photographs and information about the Amish people and their way of life. Warning! These recipes are high calorie, but very delicious.
GE
This book was given to me as a gift in 1990. It has been well used.

It is one of the first cookbooks I reach for when digging for inspiration for the dinner table.

Linda Hartlaub
Not one of my favorites. I had bigger hopes for the baked goods, but they all came out so-so. But if you like pork products, this would be a good book for you.
Yvonna
Wonderful book about the Amish and Mennonite people with excellent recipes! I adore cookbooks that tell me something about the people as well as their cooking!
Deb Rankin-moore
It's not the kind of cooking that one can or should eat on a daily basis. But oh my! THIS is what comfort food is all about!
Ann
Every recipe in this book is a winner and I love the stories of Amish and Mennonite life each chapter begins with.
Margaret Crisp
My most used book. Easy to make and dishes that turn out good every time.
Mardi
Some great recipes here....a few my group asks for again and again.
Susan
Wonderful recipes and quips from their kitchen to yours.
Kelly Schooler
Wonderful book with beautiful photos and delicious recips
Susan
Delicious sausage gravy recipe that I make all the time.
Katie
My favorite cookbook.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Darlene Dockhorn
Darlene Dockhorn marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New Recipes from Quilt Country: More Food & Folkways from the Amish & Mennonites Heartland: The Best of the Old and the New from Midwest Kitchens Marcia Adams' Heirloom Recipes: Yesterday's Favorites, Tomorrow's Treasures Marcia Adams Christmas In The Heartland: Recipes, Decorations, and Traditions for Joyous Celebrations Marcia Adams: Heart to Heart