Start by marking “The Amish Cook: Recollections and Recipes from an Old Order Amish Family” as Want to Read:
The Amish Cook: Recollections and Recipes from an Old Order Amish Family

The Amish Cook: Recollections and Recipes from an Old Order Amish Family

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ten years ago, aspiring newspaper editor Kevin Williams convinced Elizabeth Coblentz, an Old Order Amish wife and mother, to write a weekly cooking column called “The Amish Cook.” Each week Elizabeth shares a family recipe and discusses daily life on her Indiana farm, spent with her husband, Ben, and their eight children and 32 grandchildren. THE AMISH COOK, a full-col ...more
Published November 13th 2002 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Amish Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amish Cook

Staci
Sep 11, 2010 Staci rated it really liked it
Recommended to Staci by: Amish lovers and cooks
Shelves: 2010-reads
My friend had this book on her coffee table and I picked it up while visiting and could not put it down. I really am intrigued by the Amish way of life and reading Elizabeth Coblentz's letters was an amazing insight into her world. She wrote a weekly column for the Amish newspaper, The Budget. Her writing has inspired me to buy a really nice journal and just record the weekly happenings in my life. Even the small mundane things like the weather....this is something that I think my children and g ...more
Bookworm Smith
Sep 01, 2015 Bookworm Smith rated it it was amazing
Food is so interesting to me. Not just eating food, but, reading about food. I think you can learn much more about a culture, a country, a people, all by the food they eat, how they prepare it, and rituals around how they eat it.
The Amish Cookbook gives much more than than recipes, it gives you a glimpse into the ways of the Amish. The recipes and ingredients seem to be a reflection of their lifestyle - simple and nourishing. Although this book is labelled a cookbook there is so much more insid
Emilie
Oct 22, 2009 Emilie rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Many who read the newspaper series by Elizabeth Coblentz will likely enjoy this book more than I did. But for me it had a very clunky delivery. This is not Elizabeth's doing, but rather falls on the publisher of the book.

There are far too many things going on from recipes to stories from Elizabeth to snipits of her favorite poems to commentary from the Editor....it become jumbled and provides a rather clumsy reading experience. The recipes themselves are strong and are a good collection to have
Pauline
Apr 14, 2015 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Rhubarb Crunch - serves 4 to 6
Soft Sugar Cookies - store cookies in sealed container with piece of bread to keep fresh
Anne
Apr 25, 2009 Anne is currently reading it
So I was gifted a batch of the culinary chain letter: Amish Friendship Bread. The recipe you get with the starter sounded not so Amish in spirit, as it included a box of vanilla pudding mix. Is that like sitting in the passenger seat, because it's only a "flavor enhancer?" Whatever. So, to get a bit of traction on what Amish cooking is, I looked this one up. Nice style, some good recipes. Many familiar habits (clothes-lines, picking, root cellars). No pudding.
Andrea
Oct 16, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
I don't think I was prepared for the number of recipes of my childhood that could have directly come out of this book. This is probably why I love Amish food. I've been eating it my whole life. Elizabeth's stories to go along with the recipes are also pretty neat. Gives you just a little window into the lives of such private people.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
I would give this book 3 1/2 stars because while I did not like the recipes as much, I thought the author's personal history and culture of the Amish was fascinating. Gorgeous photos too. I would be interested in trying out three of the recipes including Rhubarb Coffeecake.
Diane
May 30, 2010 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Loved the stories in this book and enjoyed reading the recipes. Unfortunately, the recipes are not exactly healthy-minded. Since we aren't farming and burning so many calories a day, their high caloric content is too much for us.
Angela
Feb 11, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning more about the Amish culture, religion and food. It was also fun to hear about how the two authors worked together given that Elizabeth couldn't use technology to communicate. Fun quick read with some good recipes
Sue
Jul 24, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
It was sheer pleasure to read these columns and recipes. My grandparents were raised Amish, and so I could identify. I didn't bother to remember that there is no life style that is truly easy or simple. I just enjoyed!
Wendy
Nov 25, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book contains recipes that reminds me of my grandmother's cooking. She was from Chester, PA. Check out the 24-Hour Cabbage Slaw and Perfection Salad on p79. I made these for a work potluck and they were a hit.
Chloe
Jun 27, 2013 Chloe rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book because it not only gave you the recipes, but told many of the Amish traditions and what their daily life is like.
Maomaokitty
Mar 07, 2015 Maomaokitty rated it it was amazing
This book is not just about the recipes. It's a window into a culture that eschews the trappings of modern life. It's a refreshing escape.
Nancy
Feb 11, 2015 Nancy added it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is such a lovely book. It gives a glimpse into a lifestyle that is so alien from mine. Enjoyable information and great recipes.
Deirdre Keating
May 31, 2010 Deirdre Keating rated it liked it
Shelves: kitchen-reads
Brought Moosewood's cookbook to the used bookstore and ended up walking out with this one...worth it for the photos alone.
Sumi
Mar 31, 2008 Sumi rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, amish
In addition to the recipes, there is wonderful commentary and column excerpts from the author.
Jacqi
Jun 29, 2012 Jacqi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Want to buy this. It's all my family's old recipes.
Susan
Nov 22, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
got some great cookie recipes from this book.
Katie
Feb 22, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
Love this great coffee table/cookbook!
Katherine Rick
Katherine Rick marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Susan Gill
Susan Gill rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Kyla
Kyla added it
Apr 25, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Kathleen M. Galante
Kathleen M. Galante rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Taylbayl
Taylbayl marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Dionicia Hoppe
Dionicia Hoppe rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015