Start by marking “The Medicine Cabinet of Curiosities: An Unconventional Compendium of Health Facts and Oddities, from Asthmatic Mice to Plants that Can Kill” as Want to Read:

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Delightful doses of medical miscellany about wacky doctors and their curious patients, from their smallest bones (the stapes) to their heaviest organs (the liver)

In this addictive collection of trivia, Nicholas Bakalar, the “Vital Signs” columnist for The New York Times, spoons out the things you never realized you really want to know about your body and your health.

Bakala
Published July 21st 2009 by Times Books

To ask other readers questions about The Medicine Cabinet of Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medicine Cabinet of Curiosities

Bedside Manners by David WattsThe Odd Women by George GissingThe Medicine Cabinet of Curiosities by Nick BakalarMom's Marijuana by Dan ShapiroOdd Girls and Twilight Lovers by Lillian Faderman
Odd & Even
3rd out of 13 books — 2 voters
Opiate Addiction - The Painkiller Addiction Epidemic, Heroin ... by Taite AdamsBombyonder by Reb LivingstonCracked by K.M. WaltonParasite by Mira GrantRecovery Road by Blake Nelson
Pills on the Cover
31st out of 56 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay
There wasn't much in this book I didn't already know and most of the time I was annoyed that certain processes, studies, and diseases were not fully explained (ex. Kallman's Syndrome is merely described as a hypothalamic hormone disorder, but does not even mention the basic hallmarks of the disease-- the absence, or severely diminished presence, of secondary sex characteristics).

I'm still giving this book 3 stars because I am not the intended audience and it would be unfair to judge it harshly.
Sara
I picked this up because I enjoy reading compilations of oddities and curious things (see "Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine" which I am currently on page 712 of) but alas, this wasn't quite what I was expecting. I expect a cabinet of curiosities to be about things that are on the very edge of the known, like the 18th century cabinets full of oddities and recent discoveries. This book is more just a compilations of interesting facts about medicine and doctoring. Which was okay, but not excit ...more
Steve
As a quick read - it's ok. But don't expect to find much material in here that is thoroughly researched. In most cases it seemed like the author had read one article on a particular subject with very little additional research. To give just one example, when talking about life expectancy discrepancies between men and women he failed to mention testosterone and it's slow destructive properties. (Eunuch males living longer are a quick piece of evidence that shows this.) Instead he gets stymied by ...more
Carissa
I knew most of the stuff already in the book. It's not something you would want to reference as a research book.
Sphinx Feathers
Interesting tidbits, but nothing more. Good for things that probably won't change.
Jelena H
Interesting, but messy.
Marsha
This is a collection of rather random facts about medical history and medical issues. While it provides some interesting information (most of it I already knew), it really doesn't go into any depth with anything. Things like how drugs get their names and ten diseases that can be contracted from a dog or cat were very interesting...but all in all, it was like factual popcorn.
Manintheboat
I feel the need to make a correction. Not all corneas are suitable to become a transplant. Those whom have had LASIK or corneal diseases, or those whom are quite elderly. The cornea may still be donated and be used for scientific purposes, but it will not be transplanted.

Otherwise, this book is wonderful and the author has a fantastic sense of humor.
Alice
This book is like one of those toilet shaped "bathroom readers" that are full of random one sentence facts tenuously connected by themes. If you like those, and you like medicine, you may enjoy these facts. I do not, however, appreciate that it is masquerading as an actual book.
Haven
Normally I love books of trivia, however I found this one to be boring and rather uninspired. Nothing really jumped out at me, although the author does have a humorous tone.
Smellsofbikes
I generally don't like books that are just random assortments of facts, but this had a fair amount of good stuff in it.
Steven Wan
Interesting at first, but topics such as "everything inside an EMT van" is just not that noteworthy.
Melissa Dumas
Super facts on diseases, killer plants, and devious doctors. I really liked this one!
Maria Roma
Maria Roma marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Nathan Vassiliades
Nathan Vassiliades marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Kendra Magelitz
Kendra Magelitz marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jan 23, 2015
Matt Schumacher
Matt Schumacher marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Jose Moran
Jose Moran is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Mat
Mat marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Linus Vieira
Linus Vieira marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Brigid Farrell
Brigid Farrell marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Baseball Fan's Companion: How to Watch the Game Like an Expert The Wisdom Of John Paul Ii: The Pope On Life's Most Vital Questions The Wisdom of John Paul II: The Pope on Life's Most Vital Questions Baseball Fanªs Companion: How To Watch The Game Like An Expert The Medicine Cabinet of Curiosities: An Unconventional Compendium of Health Facts and Oddities, from Asthmatic Mice to Plants that Can Kill