Start by marking “Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis” as Want to Read:
Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis

Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This companion to Show Me the Numbers teaches the fundamental principles and practices of quantitative data analysis. Employing a methodology that is primarily learning by example and “thinking with our eyes,” this manual features graphs and practical analytical techniques that can be applied to a broad range of data analysis tools—including the most commonly used Microsof ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Analytics Press

To ask other readers questions about Now You See It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now You See It

Ben Sweezy
I'm still not sure what this guy is gonna tell me that Tufte hasn't already. I think he may reveal Tufte's prejudices--Tufte wants every graph to be a piece of art, whereas Few recognizes the importance of dynamic connections, automated methods of visualization, and interaction. I think.
Lars
The reviews that complain over the lack of new or ground-breaking content are missing the point, I think; this is meant as an entry-level look at best practices in data visualization, not a technical (ish) manual like Colin Ware's book or a political statement like Tufte's ouevre. Indeed, it assumes no technical or statistical background and is on the whole extremely courteous to the reader's time and interests.

Few's books are perfect for office drones who need to produce charts and data visual
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
A beautiful, well-designed and illustrated guide to all things data visualisation and using data viz in quantitative analysis to help communicate information and identify trends that would be difficult by just looking at the numbers. It is my go-to reference when figuring out how to represent data visually.

If you feel you already have a good grasp of the basics of data visualisation then you might be more interested in case study books like Steele & Iliinsky's Beautiful Visualization, The Wa
Mike Barretta
think this is geared mostly to people with little to no experience in making data visualizations. Since I have some background, the majority of the book was not useful. However, some of the guidelines on what types of charts work best with what types of analysis was handy, as were some of the aesthetics points like ideal aspect ratios
Robert
A good overview of different ways of visually analyzing data. Essentially an instruction manual what good data products should include to help end users, and what end users should be looking for in their software. It also gives some good pointers, not just on what types of graphs you should make available, but what users should be able to do with those graphs.

Though it's 315 pages, it's actually very short due to the number of graphs. Plus there is a lot of information laid out in earlier chapte
Ryan
A generally mediocre and long-winded book, made longer by the waste of white space. I can't believe this book was over 300 pages. I especially disliked how he keeps quoting Colin Ware in large blocks and using all of Ware's ideas. If I wanted to hear Ware's ideas I would go and read his book. Most of the ideas are half-baked and don't go far enough to satisfy the reader. There are also 2 random appendices: "How to express time as a percentage in Excel" and "How to Adjust for Inflation in Excel". ...more
Dan Smith
One of the best books for excellent data visualizations.
Glenn Burnside
I found show me the numbers to be more comprehensive. I didn't get much new from this volume.
Karen Mardahl
I read this book for my UX Bookclub. I never would have read it otherwise, and now I am so glad I did. It's a reference book that will be on my shelf for years. I have learned a lot from it and am now viewing statistics in newspaper articles with a completely different perspective. Another person in the bookclub agreed with me: he has started recommending this book to others. It's one that many of my peers could really use.
Despite the 300+ pages, it was an easy and enjoyable read. Nice layout, t
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession No: DL027106
Jason
A very impressive introduction to data visualization techniques. Many helpful tips are provided by the author as well as some basic introductions to various types of software packages available to help data visualization and analytics. I'd rate this one somewhere between a 4.25 and a 4.5 personally, and look forward to reading more by this author.
Blakely
Really the only thing I can fault this book with is being way to heavy to carry around in a bag - making it impossible to read on my daily train commute - and way too nice to read at the gym. Thus I was left reading it at work when I had a few minutes of spare time here and there over a period of about six months.

Definitely not the best way to absorb information!
Joe Miller
Feb 26, 2011 Joe Miller is currently reading it
Not exactly light reading, but so far it seems pretty useful. Aimed at analytic types who find themselves needing to express ideas in pictures rather than words/numbers. It doesn't get too far beyond bar/line/scatterplot graphs, and Few definitely isn't much for aesthetics. But it is (so far) a pretty good primer on what types of visuals work with what types of data.
Vincentjones
It is for business intelligence rather than for academic or technical writing.

It is an introduction for all kinds of skills and tools rather than an detailed textbook to show you how to draw plots step by step.

I've learned some interesting software I've never heard about: Spotfire, tableau, panopticon.
Manolo Frias
Stephen Few works as a teacher, and he must be a good one. If he teaches as well as he writes I would like to attend one of his courses.

I liked very much the best practices chapters where he explains how and when different visualization techniques can be used, from time-series to multivariate analysis.
Genie
Follow up to Show Me the Numbers. Good intro to visual design, I learned a few new
Things and reviewed a lot. Excellent reference, though, and I enjoyed the examples and the author's passion for the topic. Glad I read it.
Dale
This is a good overview of simple data visualization techniques. There's nothing really earth shattering, and most of the techniques are readily achieved in common data analysis software such as Excel, Tableau, and R.
Christopher
For the uninitiated, this book could very easily be life changing. Very clear and precise. Entertaining in places and above all visual :) I'm attending his course in November and can't wait!
Phil Chen
Awesome book on data visualization giving best practices to analyze and interpret data using different graphing methods.
Bill
If only they taught this stuff in high schools.
Well, maybe they do, by now. If so, there's some hope.
Zach Olsen
For anyone who has ever had to make sense of lots of data. Easy to read, lots of great tips.
Hom Sack
Clear and well presented. Unfortunately, it is more than I can absorb in one reading.
Scott Harris
An excellent pictoral overview of methodology for presenting data.
Roberta
A very good explanation of visual intelligence metodology.
Jon Arsenault
riveting,especially the part about the graphs
Mohan Prakash
Mohan Prakash marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
  • The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization
  • Beautiful Evidence
  • Semiology of Graphics
  • Visualizing Data: Exploring and Explaining Data with the Processing Environment
  • Information Visualization: Perception for Design (Interactive Technologies)
  • Beautiful Visualization: Looking at Data through the Eyes of Experts (Theory In Practice, #39)
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics: The Dos and Don'ts of Presenting Data, Facts, and Figures
  • Data Flow: Visualising Information in Graphic Design
  • The Visual Miscellaneum: A Colorful Guide to the World's Most Consequential Trivia
  • Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions (Theory In Practice, #31)
  • Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools
  • Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information
  • How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business
  • Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Analytics at Work: Smarter Decisions, Better Results
Show Me the Numbers: Designing Tables and Graphs to Enlighten Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data Signal: Understanding What Matters in a World of Noise