Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis

Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This companion to Show Me the Numbers teaches the fundamental principles and practices of quantitative data analysis. Employing a methodology that is primarily learning by example and “thinking with our eyes,” this manual features graphs and practical analytical techniques that can be applied to a broad range of data analysis tools—including the most commonly used Microsof...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Analytics Press

To ask other readers questions about Now You See It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now You See It

Ben Sweezy
I'm still not sure what this guy is gonna tell me that Tufte hasn't already. I think he may reveal Tufte's prejudices--Tufte wants every graph to be a piece of art, whereas Few recognizes the importance of dynamic connections, automated methods of visualization, and interaction. I think.
Mike Barretta
think this is geared mostly to people with little to no experience in making data visualizations. Since I have some background, the majority of the book was not useful. However, some of the guidelines on what types of charts work best with what types of analysis was handy, as were some of the aesthetics points like ideal aspect ratios
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
A beautiful, well-designed and illustrated guide to all things data visualisation and using data viz in quantitative analysis to help communicate information and identify trends that would be difficult by just looking at the numbers. It is my go-to reference when figuring out how to represent data visually.

If you feel you already have a good grasp of the basics of data visualisation then you might be more interested in case study books like Steele & Iliinsky's Beautiful Visualization, The Wa...more
Robert
A good overview of different ways of visually analyzing data. Essentially an instruction manual what good data products should include to help end users, and what end users should be looking for in their software. It also gives some good pointers, not just on what types of graphs you should make available, but what users should be able to do with those graphs.

Though it's 315 pages, it's actually very short due to the number of graphs. Plus there is a lot of information laid out in earlier chapte...more
Ryan
A generally mediocre and long-winded book, made longer by the waste of white space. I can't believe this book was over 300 pages. I especially disliked how he keeps quoting Colin Ware in large blocks and using all of Ware's ideas. If I wanted to hear Ware's ideas I would go and read his book. Most of the ideas are half-baked and don't go far enough to satisfy the reader. There are also 2 random appendices: "How to express time as a percentage in Excel" and "How to Adjust for Inflation in Excel"....more
Karen Mardahl
I read this book for my UX Bookclub. I never would have read it otherwise, and now I am so glad I did. It's a reference book that will be on my shelf for years. I have learned a lot from it and am now viewing statistics in newspaper articles with a completely different perspective. Another person in the bookclub agreed with me: he has started recommending this book to others. It's one that many of my peers could really use.
Despite the 300+ pages, it was an easy and enjoyable read. Nice layout, t...more
Jason
A very impressive introduction to data visualization techniques. Many helpful tips are provided by the author as well as some basic introductions to various types of software packages available to help data visualization and analytics. I'd rate this one somewhere between a 4.25 and a 4.5 personally, and look forward to reading more by this author.
Joe Miller
Feb 26, 2011 Joe Miller is currently reading it
Not exactly light reading, but so far it seems pretty useful. Aimed at analytic types who find themselves needing to express ideas in pictures rather than words/numbers. It doesn't get too far beyond bar/line/scatterplot graphs, and Few definitely isn't much for aesthetics. But it is (so far) a pretty good primer on what types of visuals work with what types of data.
Vincentjones
It is for business intelligence rather than for academic or technical writing.

It is an introduction for all kinds of skills and tools rather than an detailed textbook to show you how to draw plots step by step.

I've learned some interesting software I've never heard about: Spotfire, tableau, panopticon.
Manolo Frias
Stephen Few works as a teacher, and he must be a good one. If he teaches as well as he writes I would like to attend one of his courses.

I liked very much the best practices chapters where he explains how and when different visualization techniques can be used, from time-series to multivariate analysis.
Genie
Follow up to Show Me the Numbers. Good intro to visual design, I learned a few new
Things and reviewed a lot. Excellent reference, though, and I enjoyed the examples and the author's passion for the topic. Glad I read it.
Dale
This is a good overview of simple data visualization techniques. There's nothing really earth shattering, and most of the techniques are readily achieved in common data analysis software such as Excel, Tableau, and R.
Christopher
For the uninitiated, this book could very easily be life changing. Very clear and precise. Entertaining in places and above all visual :) I'm attending his course in November and can't wait!
Phil Chen
Awesome book on data visualization giving best practices to analyze and interpret data using different graphing methods.
Bill
If only they taught this stuff in high schools.
Well, maybe they do, by now. If so, there's some hope.
Zacho
For anyone who has ever had to make sense of lots of data. Easy to read, lots of great tips.
Hom Sack
Clear and well presented. Unfortunately, it is more than I can absorb in one reading.
Scott Harris
An excellent pictoral overview of methodology for presenting data.
Roberta
A very good explanation of visual intelligence metodology.
Jon Arsenault
riveting,especially the part about the graphs
Bassel
Bassel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kael
Kael marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Arun
Arun marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Paulo Nuin
Paulo Nuin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
  • The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization (Voices That Matter)
  • Beautiful Evidence
  • Visualizing Data: Exploring and Explaining Data with the Processing Environment
  • Beautiful Visualization: Looking at Data through the Eyes of Experts (Theory In Practice, #39)
  • Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools
  • Data Flow: Visualising Information in Graphic Design
  • Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions (Theory In Practice, #31)
  • How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Information Graphics
  • Defensive Design for the Web: How to Improve Error Messages, Help, Forms, and Other Crisis Points
  • Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • The Visual Miscellaneum: A Colorful Guide to the World's Most Consequential Trivia
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
Show Me the Numbers: Designing Tables and Graphs to Enlighten Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data