Start by marking “The Upside-Down Kingdom” as Want to Read:
The Upside-Down Kingdom

The Upside-Down Kingdom

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
An intriguing study of the kingdom of God in the Gospels. Donald B. Kraybill says social, religious, and economic practices of the dominant culture usually favor the rich, powerful, prestigious. Jesus, on the other hand, favors those who suffer at society's margins and fall between the cracks. Winner of the National Religious Book Award: Best Religious Book of the Year. Re ...more
Published June 7th 2004 by Herald Pr (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Upside-Down Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Upside-Down Kingdom

Jonathan
Sep 13, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
The Upside-Down Kingdom was one of those books that influenced me before I even read it. It was released in 1978 and has been updated numerous times (recently a line-by-line edit, in fact). Today, it is still just an important—as the chasm of income inequality grows, the stratification of society, and perpetual war looms.
It is an old favorite of many in the Brethren in Christ. And it is has helped form much of our “Anabaptist” understanding of the world. It is a call to counter-cultural living.
Jason Evans
The kingdom of God can be elusive of simple definition. It is often something very hard to explain. It is understood, evidenced in practice, quite differently across the Christian community. In his book, The Upside Down Kingdom, Donald Kraybill takes up the challenge of explaining the kingdom. Apparent by his title, Kraybill offers that the kingdom is a realization that stands in stark contrast to the common ways of this world. It is most often the exact opposite of how we assume a rulership to ...more
Lynley
Nov 23, 2011 Lynley rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fabulous. I may not agree with the author about everything he said, but he brought up many good points and it was very convicting. So the question is, am I living in the upside-down Kingdom--or am I just a pharisee?
Shoshanna
Nov 30, 2007 Shoshanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This is a book from the evagelical tradition. It is a must read for any orgnizer working with a pentacostal church!
heidi
May 12, 2007 heidi rated it really liked it
makes me step outside my lifelong evangelical bubble enough to approach my newfound anabaptism.
Julia
Feb 17, 2009 Julia rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone who takes their existence seriously.
lisa
As we enter the new year, and I reflect on what I wish for the world in 2012, prophetic words from the Magnificat play through my mind: “He has brought down the powerful from their thrones and lifted up the lowly.” I am hoping that more people will work for a world where the lowly are lifted up, rather than trampled down; where the hungry are fed; where compassion and mercy win out over vengeance. These wishes are part of the vision described so beautifully in The Upside-Down Kingdom by Donald B ...more
Douglas Wilson
Sep 04, 2011 Douglas Wilson rated it it was ok
Shelves: biblical-studies
Let me say a few nice things about this book first.

The first thing is that Kraybill is obviously a very nice man. Second, he has a very helpful grasp of a number of historical details about first century Palestine that I found very constructive. I learned a number of good things from him on this count. Third, he has a good gift of phrasing a commonplace -- and comes up with the kind of thing that every biblically literate Christian would agree with, and learn from at the same time. That was good
Doug
On my second reading of this, I conclude that this recent classic is perhaps the best, single, lay introduction to the way of the cross. Because it wonderfully avoids denominational particulars, political trendiness, and academese, I could put this book in the hands of many folks without worrying about distracting side issues. It sticks to scriptural arguments and anticipates objections and knows the issues. It’s already setup for group study, too. If I could give only one book to a person wanti ...more
Rudy Dyck
Apr 17, 2013 Rudy Dyck rated it it was amazing
Tremendous book. While it can get repetitive down the stretch it has fantastic insight into the Palestinian world at the time of Jesus. The upper class vs. the lower class (no real middle class), taxes, authorities, the Temple, riots and rebels - there is a lot of real information on how this world operated.

For Christians it also has a lot of information on the Kingdom Jesus was trying to establish which was a socialist kingdom designed to help each other. Go the extra mile. Life isn't about wai
Adam Ross
Jun 05, 2010 Adam Ross rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
I was expecting something more from this book. His central thesis is perfectly fine - Christ came to turn the world "upside-down." The problems crop up immediately as Kraybill shows repeated foundational errors in his understanding of the Bible, and particularly the Old Testament. He, rather blithely it seems to me, assumed that the "traditions of men" which Jesus came to counter were actually a part of the Old Testament itself, rather than Pharisaic corruptions of that law. From there he procee ...more
Chelsea
Calling this book "life-changing" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Kraybill has a lot of excellent points and he's good about backing up his points with both scripture and common sense. However, if you've read the Bible and looked into more than just the on-the-surface stuff, this book is just basically backing up knowledge you probably already have.

Solid book. Jesus was/is a radical for pretty much every time period but modern culture has become desensitized to that idea because he's been white-wash
Neil Rempel
Jan 18, 2016 Neil Rempel rated it did not like it
Shelves: ce, hypocrite
I like the concept of Jesus being something other than the cartoon "WWJD bracelet" and it would be my impression the author feels the same. I found the book very fustrating and would be interested in discussing my fustration with anyone willing to listen!
Jonathan
Jan 05, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: all
The Upside-Down Kingdom” is a solid book that shows the range of ways in which Jesus’s call is the opposite of the call of the world. I appreciated that he interacts with the full range of current Biblical scholarship in order to show theological support for his statements. It’s not a book meant to convince the skeptic, and it requires at least some previous Biblical understanding, but it’s an excellent guide for the honest seeker. In the Kingdom of God, slaves are freed, the poor are rich, sinn ...more
Connie
Aug 07, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
This book has been sitting on my shelves for a very long time. When I saw that it was on my reading list for the Living School for Contemplation and Action, I decided to delve in. I appreciated Kraybill's emphasis on the teachings of Jesus and how very uncultural they are. Not only the government, but also the way religion gets around the hard sayings and the split between belief and practice.

Kraybill didn't say anything that was new...no AHA moments...but I appreciated his explanation of some
Firefly_1824
This isn't exactly the most recent book, but it will change how you think. I read it in college, so my memories on the details aren't the greatest, but I remember doing a lot of highlighting in this book. Definately worth the read, and I still remember it.
Darnell
Jul 14, 2014 Darnell rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book about being a disciple and understanding how to follow Jesus after we become a believer. If you see it grab it!
Alex Gordon
Jul 09, 2015 Alex Gordon rated it liked it
i liked it. it reads like a very long sermon. So if you are into that, this is for you. :)
Larry Wegman
Sep 03, 2015 Larry Wegman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians
The best book I have ever read about how to live as Jesus would have us live.
Dixie
Oct 10, 2015 Dixie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally life changing for me.
Amethyst Roth
Apr 03, 2014 Amethyst Roth rated it really liked it
Charity that doesn't bring a message of spiritual liberation is little more than do-gooder paternalism that may only lead new ways of worshipping mammon.
Matt
Oct 25, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
I do enjoy this book, partly because I strongly disagree with a number of its premises. It was required reading my first year at Fresno Pacific University, and the introduction was that some of us would love it, and others would hate it.

This book challenges people to think about the Kingdom of God in different ways. You may not agree, but it's still worth taking the time to read and consider.
Renee
Feb 28, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Kraybill is not afraid to put down in black and white such uncomfortable truths, according to Jesus' thoughts and actions, as "War is sin." He also explains why Jesus' ministry was so insulting to the culture(s) of His day and acknowledges the challenges of embracing Jesus' "basin ministry" today. Much of the book focuses on an excellent explaination of the Jubilee.
Des Morgan
May 12, 2012 Des Morgan rated it really liked it
A challenging book that will take you out of your comfort zone. Not recommended for those who think that following Jesus is about self-satisfaction. A book that will irritate those who Jesus irritated - the rich, the politically connected, the religious. Jesus got his just reward for doing that - death on the cross.
Al
Nov 10, 2013 Al added it
Excellent book. Do not read it if you want to keep your preconceived notions about following Jesus. This book will up-end your world. Don reminds us that the cross is not just the place of our salvation, it was the result of the life Jesus lived. It is the life we must live if we are to claim we are His followers.
Zane Akers
Jul 26, 2011 Zane Akers rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Thoroughly researched and presented articulately by one of the world's greatest scholars of anabaptist-pietist faiths. Reminds everyone that the Kingdom of God looks completely weird and backwards to the kingdoms of earth, and that discipleship is necessarily a kind of lifestyle, not just a belief structure.
Justin
May 25, 2010 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
It's a pretty good take on what it sounds like. It's a little less inspiring than it could be (and the attempt to be so at the end is itself uninspired). There's some good, accessible historical contextualizing and some useful consideration of what it means to bear a cross. A decent read.
Drick
Sep 25, 2009 Drick rated it really liked it
Shelves: theological
This is a book that changed my way of thinking about faith 30+ years ago. I re read it in preparation for a course. His message is the same, but this revised edition draws on more recent scholarship and therefore is current and continually challenging
Justin Doty
Apr 06, 2013 Justin Doty rated it it was amazing
Overall a great book! The author sort of repeats himself in Chapter 1 and Chapter 8, but it's still a really great book. Every Western Christian should read this book and be reminded of how to be kingdom minded in our post-modern consumeristic culture.
Eyebright
Nov 24, 2012 Eyebright rated it it was amazing

"This is an upside-down way of feeding the hungry. It is neither revolution by angry peasants not miraculous loaves from Heaven. Rather, those with abundance, those moved by God's mercy, stop hoarding and give generously." (pg. 82)
  • The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of a Radical Faith
  • What Would You Do?
  • Unleashing the Scripture: Freeing the Bible from Captivity to America
  • A Peculiar People
  • Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination (Powers, #3)
  • Theopolitical Imagination: Christian Practices of Space and Time
  • Living More With Less
  • The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity
  • School(s) for Conversion
  • Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World
  • To Live in Peace: Biblical Faith and the Changing Inner City
  • The End of Memory: Remembering Rightly in a Violent World
  • The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Ours?
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate with those Outside the Christian Community...While We  Still Can.
  • Just Generosity: A New Vision for Overcoming Poverty in America
  • A Community Called Atonement

“In religious circles the term spiritual tops the sacred ladder, but the word social slips to the bottom.” 0 likes