Start by marking “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  13,191 ratings  ·  418 reviews
Dynamic and inspirational, FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY is filled with concrete techniques to turn passivity into assertiveness. Dr. Susan Jeffers, teaches you how to stop negative thinking patterns and reeducate your mind to think more positively. You will learn: the vital 10-Step Positive Thinking Process; how to risk a little every day; how to turn every decision into...more
Published August 25th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published 1987)

Tommy
A girlfriend in grad school gave me this book, shortly before we parted ways, in fact. It was a real eye-opener to me that I lived much of my life hovering around the perimeter of the pool rather than jumping in with both feet.

Most eye-opening for me, though, was it was the first time I had been taught that fear was fine - embrace it, don't dodge it. Then, walk through the fire anyway.

I'm not saying I turned into Russell Crowe from "Gladiator" because of it. I'm still more Woody Allen from "Ann...more
Katya Kean
I was afraid to leave this review, but I did it anyway. Kidding.

Really, though, this book is probably really important for some people. Women, especially. Women leaving relationships, I'd imagine. The first two chapters are pretty neat. They highlight an important truth that you can't wait for the fear to go away before you do something.

I know that this book influenced a lot of other books I've liked.

The 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 is partially because of sentences like these:
[This] "Higher Self i...more
Jj873
Aug 23, 2008 Jj873 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to feel that they control their life, it doesn't control them.
Recommended to Jj873 by: random find by my mom
Having lived most of my life with debilitating Panic Disorder (google it if you're curious) this book has done more to put me in charge of my life than all the years of medications, therapy, and all the other self-help books I've read combined.
I encountered this book at the worst point in my mental health struggle (being nearly housebound by agoraphobia - again, google if needed) and truly found it to be a sanity saver!
If it has helped me pull myself back from the brink of desolation too deep an...more
Greg Stearns
The book starts off with a pretty decent premise which is entirely summed up in the title.

Things will always be scary until you master them, then there will be something new to be afraid of so instead of eliminating your fear you should be working on pushing through. There are some decent ideas and suggestions in the first couple chapters, but it goes downhill for the rest of the book.

Between the constant ads for her other products (Inspirational Audios, books of affirmations, etc) and the unaba...more
Moira
"Should be required reading for every person who can read," says Jack Canfield (author of Chicken Soup for the Soul) and I completely concur. I learned so much from it and use her techniques constantly. Jeffers has a PhD in Psychology, and her book is full of inspiring calls to action and powerful but accessible techniques to help "start taking charge of your life."

There are many practical, simple (although not necessarily easy) things one can do to confront fear. Jeffers suggests ways to take...more
Alexandra
I finished reading this book 2 weeks ago, and feel compelled to review it.

A few short months ago i took the steps needed to change my life for the better. I was not happy living how i was, i hated my body, i hated myself, all because i was scared of the truth. That truth is that i am transgender.

I admitted to myself that i needed to seek medical help, to rectify my situation, which includes taking hormones and having gender reassignment surgery in the future. I went to the doctor in december 201...more
Nick
Sir Ken Thompson recommended this book in his, The Element. I picked it up with some trepidation, because the whole idea sounded so simple. But it's a top-notch self-help book, about a whole lot more than just fear. Jeffers covers the whole waterfront of ineffectual behavior and patiently tells you how to stop it and replace it with better behavior. If you're stuck at any point with fears, resentments, bottled up anger, and so on, this book will help (if you let it).
Marthad
في الحقيقة تقييم لن يكون دقيقاً، لكني على كل حال سأكتب تجربتي الشخصية معه.

الكتاب جيد وغير جيد.
غير جيِّد لأن المؤلفة ذكرت أن حل مشكلة الخوف ليس لازماً أن نعود إلى جذورها التي كونتها. وشخصياً، أعتقد أن هذا إلى حد ما غير دقيق، أو يحتاج إلى تدقيق. لأنه كما ذكرت في غيرما كتاب أن أكثر مشاكلنا اليوم هي نتاج طفولتنا.

النقطة الأولى: بشكل شخصي أحببت الكتب التي تبدأ في حل المشكلة من أساسها بدلا من إعطاء أساليب وعلاجات لمعالجة الأعراض
symptomatic treatment
وهذه الطريقة يستخدمها ( جون غراي في كتابه ما تشعر به )...more
Ashley
A friend of mine recommended this book to me and at first I was a bit skeptical but fell in love after the first 10 pages. It seems to cover every issue you come across without actually pinpointing one certain issue.

It's a good book to fall back on as a quick picker-upper if you're having a bad day or just feel discouraged. It's helped with my personal life alot and it's something I'm sure to have memorized within the next 10 years.

Rori Rockman
Man. How do you rate a book that steadily devolves from five stars down to one star?

This starts out as a five star book. The first few chapters of this book have probably altered my world view permanently. Here's the gist of what really hit home for me:

At the heart of every fear we have is one single fear: "I can't handle it." This is an absolute revelation, at least to me, because it means that there is one reliable (though still not easy) formula to be used for overcoming fear: convince yourse...more
Pam Burzynski
A self-help book addict, I've read a ton of them and was pleasantly surprised and "fearless" by the time I finished Feel the Fear....

Hoping for solutions or a "how to" to let go of or conquer "a" fear, I realized this book was much bigger than "a" fear.

You will be relieved to know that Jeffers does not believe that our fears are psychological--phew! Rather she believes our fears are, in most cases, an educational problem, and her book is loaded with ways to help us reeducate our mind.

Not heavy,...more
Jessica (j*&p*)
Susan Jeffers has a lot of sound, practical advice for taking the step to overcome the nagging fears that are standing in the way of getting to the places you want to be in your life and career.

The first year I was teaching at a university I was really nervous and anxious whenever I stepped into the classroom. I loved what I was doing, but hated not being an expert with years of experience yet. What if a student asked me a question I didn't know the answer to?

I used to read a little bit of thi...more
Elicia
A great book for everyone even if you don't think the title applies to you.
Sometimes the only way to overcome the fear and feel better about yourself is to just go out and do it. But it also talks about taking more control of your life instead of indecision ruling because of being afraid of making mistakes. Tells you how to move from a position of pain ("It's not my fault, I'm never satisfied, It's terrible") to one of power ("I'm totally responsible, I want to learn and grow, It's a learning e...more
JChipol
"Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. " Erica Jong

One of my favourite quotes of all time sums up what this book is trying to say; basically we cannot blame situations around us for the state of our own lives. This book brings up some very interesting thoughts; we are in control of our own attitudes and decisions. We may not be able to control the hand that life has dealt us, but we certainly are in control with what decisions we make in order to...more
Tilda
I'd call it a bag of pebbles and pearls. Some stuff a bit overly simplistic and unrealistic, but some real pearls of wisdom as well. It goes beyond the subject of "fear" and encourages a positive attitude and lifestyle in general.

As I mentioned in an earlier review, I'm not a fan of affirmations, and I believe that the underlying problem should be addressed, not masked. And I think her expectations for people to choose to feel positive even under the most dire circumstances (e.g. bereavement or...more
Daniel Johnson
I checked this book out from the library and wanted to renew it, but there was a hold on it. I kept it anyway throughout December because I needed to read this. I've taken notes and refer almost every day to them. At the very basis of every fear is the feeling that "I Can't Handle It!" or "I Won't Be Able To Handle It!" Once you get it down that you actually can - most of us just have to look to our past to see what we've been through to get encouragement that we can - then it's just letting go...more
Amjid Mohammed
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway

An amazing book that changed my life. A quick read that has the potential to change the course of your future and redefine you as a person forever.

The lessons I learnt from this book have accompanied me through the last 6 years and have played a major factor on the quality of my life and in my decision making.

Although there are a lot of old school positive affirmations involved, I think the underlying message is priceless. I read this book and the next day when I w...more
Robert
A very wothwhile book to read if you are looking for information on personal development. It illustrates how we let our irrational fears limit our potential and more importantly how to go about overcoming them. The books is short and easy to read and contains many simple and prectical examples and exercises.

I would say that you are unlikley to find all the answers you are searching for in this book however it does have a few that most people should find very worthwhile. I would recommend it as a...more
Monica
I took this book out of the library because of the title. Clearly, I am on a self-help book kick. What took me so long? Perhaps it was having a job.

Unsure what to expect, I found this book filled with helpful tools for managing fear and a lot of other emotions. Example: There is no "right" or "wrong" choice; each provides opportunities to learn and grow. I still want to create the nine square grid of my life, then visualize complete commitment to each part. Over 2 million copies of this book ha...more
Si
There are no big or small tasks. All are equally important.
- Shinzaemon Shimada – 13 assassins

I don’t remember how I came to read this book, but there’s something very enticing about that title.

Fear is something I’ve pondered before. There are different ways of viewing fear, or perhaps one could say there are different categories of fear. While there are many damaging and limiting fears that people can hold, I generally view fear as a useful tool to make me aware of either danger or my limits. T...more
Igpond.comdes Stephens
Good public speakers often say that practice does not remove the butterflies. It simply makes them fly in formation. Actors say that without tension before going on stage your performance will be flat.
Jeffers book is based on real life experience after her divorce. Realizing she had been over protected and looking for lecturing experience she began a course on barriers to change.
She deals with issues such as
*interviews and career change
*anxiety states such as rejection, failure, success
*accep...more
Mahmoud Shehata
One of the worst books i've landed on. It's ofendingingly a how-to book full of instructions on how to make your life better.
If you value your mind and you like to make your own decisions, if you like to be well informed than be well directed, don't you waste your money on this!
Bonnie G.
It's a damn classic for a reason. It is a bit outdated but only b/c everyone stole her idea. I do love the idea of "Well, the fear never goes away so just deal with it- there is no point where fear stops". Loved the way she put it- time to put the big girl panties on!
Anna
It was okay. There was a good nugget at the beginning, where Jeffers points out that the basic worry behind any fear is that we will come up against a situation beyond our capacity. She combats this with the affirmation, "I can handle it."
But, beyond that, this was a quick read with not much substance. Though Jeffers does give the reader some strategies, the book feels more like a digest of so, so many other self-help books (including mainstream suggestions like using affirmations, tapes, makin...more
Stacey Rice
Stumbled up on this book some years ago and was glad I picked it up. It helped me get past the fear of sitting down and talking about business with individuals I didn't know. This book is a real eye opener, deserves a re-read.
Ahmad
هر وقت کتابی میخونم که نقطه ی عطفی میشه شگفت زده میشم. دنبال بهانه میگردم که هرطور شده به هر کی میشناسم معرفی اش کنم. نکته اینه که تعداد این کتاب های شگفتی آفرین هر روز بیشتر و بیشتر میشه و از جذابیتشون ذره ای کم نمیشه یا تکراری نمیشن انگار همشون شاهکاران یکی شاهکار ادبیات و دیگری شاهکار موسیقی ... وقتی میخوام بیام اینجا ازشون تعریف کنم میمونم چی بگم آیا همون حرفهای قبلی تکرار کنم که حتما این کتاب بخونین، میتونین با این کتاب تو زندگیتون شگفتی بیافرینین...یا با این کتاب و عمل به اون میتونین شادی...more
Diana
I read this book for the first time in my twenties, and I still like it.
Richard
This is one of the most popular and often recommended self-development books on the market and it is easy to see why. Author Susan Jeffers offers up a very easy read that makes a lot of sense, helping the reader to understand why many of the common fears that hold us back from living our lives are, in reality, irrational and that we can re-program our minds to overcome this irrationality and live full, productive and rewarding lives.

I found this book an easy read with every chapter hitting home...more
Kirsty
To shake things up a bit for our radio book club shows we decided to read a regular book but also some kind of factual one

My copy proudly declares it’s a 20th anniversary edition so my first concern was if it would still be relevant in today’s society and after reading through it I would say yes. The only really out of bit parts are technological. In one chapter she mentions picking up the phone or writing a letter and getting in touch with people. While still positives to do these days you’re...more
Haneen Najeh
"How many times you wanted to do sth but you stopped yourself because you were afraid?"
The book has started with this sentence.

I can say that I learned a lot from this book; one and the most important thing that I learned is that to feel fear and do it anyway.

When I read the subject of the book at the first time I excepted it be good and good it was.

We used to think that feeling fear is a good reason to not do sth BUT it hasn't to be this way.

Suzan is is speaking about fear and it's kinds....more
extreme fear and petrifying phobias 15 73 Oct 14, 2014 03:44AM
  • The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
  • Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
  • The Dance of Anger: A Woman's Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself!
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • When I Say No, I Feel Guilty: How to Cope - Using the Skills of Systematic Assertive Therapy
  • The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The Highly Sensitive Person
  • You'll See It When You Believe It: The Way to Your Personal Transformation
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
  • Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
  • How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
  • Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
  • Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
There is more than one author with this name

Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. has helped millions of people throughout the world overcome their fears, heal their relationships, and move forward in life with confidence and love.

She is the author of many internationally renowned books including Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, Feel the Fear. . .and Beyond, Feel the Fear Power Planner, End the Struggle and Dance W...more
More about Susan Jeffers...
Embracing Uncertainty End The Struggle And Dance With Life: How To Build Yourself Up When The World Gets You Down Feel the Fear...and Beyond: Mastering the Techniques for Doing It Anyway I'm Okay, You're a Brat!: Setting the Priorities Straight and Freeing You From the Guilt and Mad Myths of Parenthood The Little Book Of Confidence

“Feel the fear and do it anyway!” 74 likes
“The less you need someone's approval, the more you are able to love them.” 9 likes