Start by marking “Jacques Plante: The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey” as Want to Read:
Jacques Plante: The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey

Jacques Plante: The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey

The first full-scale biography of a legendary and award-winning NHL goalie who transformed the game.

“There are a lot of very good goalies, there are even a fair number of great goalies. But there aren’t many important goalies. And Jacques Plante was an important goalie.” Ken Dryden

On and off the ice Jacques Plante was a true original; he was extremely talented, boastful, d
Published October 27th 2009 by McClelland & Stewart (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jacques Plante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacques Plante

Jeff
Jul 29, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of hockey history at all, you will enjoy this book. It moves at a quick pace and keeps your attention throughout. It was a hard book to put down. Every aspect of the life and career of this unique hockey innovator is covered well and is thoroughly researched. The many footnotes give the impression of reading a research paper as well as a biography. Especially interesting were the sections covering his many comebacks later in his career and his post-playing days.
Ilongo
May 11, 2010 Ilongo rated it really liked it

In the history of the NHL, there have been very few players that are as unique, as Jacques Plante. In this biography, Todd Denault explores the very essence that is the legendary goaltender.

In this account of the goaler’s life, called Jacques Plante the Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey, Todd Denault follows the life of this legend, from as a child living in poverty in Québec, up to his death at age 57, in Switzerland.

During his 20 year stand in the NHL, Plante played for the Montreal Canadia
Andrew
May 19, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hockey
I have never met Jacques Plante. I've never seen him play, except on television through the magic of cross-border television broadcasts of Hockey Night in Canada. Still, I've read enough about – and by – the man that I feel I have some background into who he was and what he brought to the sport of hockey, and to the world.

Now, courtesy of Todd Denault's first full-length book, “Jacques Plante: The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey”, I feel I know much more. Denault goes into depth on the devel
Joanie
Apr 16, 2011 Joanie rated it really liked it
I first knew of Jacques Plante through Canada's Heritage Minutes - those televised history segments honouring famous Canadians - before I had even watched a hockey game. We're all familiar with shot from Andy Bathgate now, the one that allowed Plante to don a mask and change the face of the game.

This was a very enjoyable read. I'm not a Habs fan myself, but I do appreciate the history behind the oldest franchise, especially all the greats they've had holding their forts during their lucrative y
Nina
Dec 21, 2010 Nina rated it it was amazing
One of the best hockey books I've read so far! You really can see that he made a lot of research. Usually I can't stand books that were written by authors who haven't really witnessed any of the happenings but this was very well written and didn't bore me at all even though I already heard some of the stories that were told. I'd recommend this to anyone who's eager to learn more about the Canadiens or simply the hockey history!
Sue
May 18, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, thoroughly researched and well-written! Because of its presentation style, Jacques Plante is best for adults. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading about the sport of hockey and its history, the Canadiens, goalies, etc. Jacques was an amazing man!
George Foley
Jan 18, 2011 George Foley rated it liked it
A great subject. Too much of the book relied on old newspaper articles. There was not enough interviews of the old Canadiens.............
Paul White
Paul White rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Makenzie Dolnick
Makenzie Dolnick rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
David Basque
David Basque rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
Brent Darling
Aug 11, 2014 Brent Darling rated it it was amazing
A great biography about one of the most innovative goaltenders hockey has ever seen.
Daniel T DiMarino
Daniel T DiMarino rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Jaume Manero
Jaume Manero rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Scott Mccready
Scott Mccready rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Evan James
Evan James rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2013
Justin Solly
Justin Solly rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Denis
Apr 08, 2010 Denis rated it it was amazing
A fabulous examination of a fascinating trendsetter.
Cole Brumwell
Cole Brumwell rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Emile Gagnon
Emile Gagnon rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Alissa Earnshaw
Alissa Earnshaw rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
May 04, 2011
Jonathon Carten
Jonathon Carten rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Nathan Dawson
Nathan Dawson rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Spartacus
Spartacus rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013