Start by marking “Final Approach (Emily Locke, #1)” as Want to Read:
Final Approach (Emily Locke, #1)

Final Approach (Emily Locke #1)

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Sometimes clues just fall from the sky. Four years ago, Emily Locke's life was shattered when her infant daughter and husband were lost in an inexplicable accident. She has nearly rebuilt her fragile mental health when a disgraced former police detective, now working as a P.I., resurfaces to ask for help-reconnaissance at a Texas skydiving establishment over a thousand mil ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published September 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Final Approach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Approach

C.J.
Jan 03, 2010 C.J. rated it really liked it
Final Approach is the first book in a series featuring Emily Locke, a skydiving, amateur sleuth who has lost everything important to her. As I read this book I found myself invested in Emily and her world far more than I expected. Brady has done a fantastic job bringing her to life and helping her to rise to the dangerous situations she faces while still maintaining her femininity. The clincher for me was her relationship with Vince. The skydiving backdrop was an added bonus. I enjoyed learning ...more
Gabe
Sep 08, 2015 Gabe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, decent, easy book to read over the weekend.

The theme is somewhat sad, considering there are kids kidnapped and then sold to other families who can pay tons of money to adopt a child.

There is a plot taking shape as we progress, the characters are well defined, with their own agendas and actions, creating twists and turns in the story-line. The dialog is funny at times and will keep us entertained along the way.

Without spoiling your fun, I would say that we are introduced or exposed a bit
Debra Goldstein
May 27, 2012 Debra Goldstein rated it really liked it
What happens when a chemist who skydives, plays guitar, juggles kids, and writes puts it all together? Ans. a quick fun read that intrigues the reader and gives a subtle overview of skydiving. A good first book from author Rachel Brady .
Robert Scott
Finished 07/05/2014. Emily is drafted to help find a missing baby because she is a skydiver. Former police officer Richard Cole is suspect in the loss of a prosecution that E's testimony should have secured. Then her husband & young daughter were drowned in the lake. E's friend Jeannie is brash but uninvited still helps in the investigation. At the Gulf Coast Skydiving Co. E is drawn to Vince and becomes suspicious of Trish, a pilot employed by GC. T, Skud, and several others are involved in ...more
Susan
Mar 23, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-no-no
I can't say what it is but there was just something about this book and this protagonist that I just could not like. To me, the main character seemed too self-involved to be 'accessible' to the reader. The ending bothered me too, but I do not want to put in a spoiler for those who read the book.

Recently at the library, I almost signed out the second book of the series but when I realized it was, in fact, the next book after this one, I put the book back on the shelf. Often, I am willing to give
Chad Sayban
Jun 02, 2011 Chad Sayban rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Emily Locke is called by Richard Cole, the detective turned PI who investigated the death of her husband and daughter four years earlier, she is in no hurry to help him. When she finds out she gets to fly to Houston and engage in her passion for sky-diving while helping to check a lead in a child abduction case, Emily decides that this is a good excuse for a vacation. What Emily quickly discovers is that the lead is very real , but she is unsure of who she can actually trust. The stakes inc ...more
Jim Thomsen
Jul 07, 2010 Jim Thomsen rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, as I do especially of any work by any first-time author, but I felt this debut mystery needed more time in the story-editing stage. I felt it was overplotted, overpopulated, overstuffed with dangerous situations and desperate characters that at times strained the bounds of plausibility.

Emily Locke would be likable if her creator would give her a chance to breathe, but she's rendered claustrophobic by the constant contrivances that cluster around her — the Requi
Marlyn
Jul 26, 2010 Marlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Emily Locke's husband and daughter were killed in a boating accident four years before we meet her. Richard Cole, the detective who'd worked the case, now a private investigator, says she's the only person he knows who can help him with his current case which may involve sky-diving. She's reluctant to help him, as she's sure he botched her case and she's not an experienced investigator, but when she hears it concerns a missing child, she agrees.

She takes leave from her job in northern Ohio, and
Beverly
Jul 28, 2014 Beverly rated it it was ok
Emily Locke’s life was shattered when her infant daughter and husband were died in an accident. She has nearly rebuilt her fragile mental health when a former police detective resurfaces to ask for help, reconnaissance at a Texas skydiving company. At Gulf Coast Skydiving, similarities between Richard’s case and Emily’s past make it increasingly difficult for her to stay objective. OK novel, but very convoluted story.
Kristen
Jul 03, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2011
If you love good mysteries, you'll love the Emily Locke series. Emily Locke is a widow who've lost her husband and her baby daughter, a few years ago, from a boating accident. When Richard Cole comes to see her in Cleveland, he told her about a missing child case and a skydiving ticket. Since Emily used to skydive, she took an unplanned leave from work and hits Houston to find Casey Lyons. This case is similar to another one, which had changed her life, and are parallel. As she investigates this ...more
Shonna Froebel
Dec 23, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
This novel features Emily Locke, a woman still recovering from a tragedy in her life four years earlier. When someone from that time shows up asking for her help in a case, she is reluctant to help, until she hears that it involves a missing child.
For Emily, that is how this all began. Four years ago, when a friend's child was missing, Emily found him and called the police. But her own family tragedy, losing her husband and young daughter, also came out of this time. She feels the man who is no
Kelly
Oct 21, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
I actually enjoyed this mystery type novel, and I don't usually like the genre. Emily and her sidekick are much smarter, successful, and trained sleuths than the only comparable sleuths I can think of, Stefanie Plum and Lula. This is more realistic, has more heart and more intelligence.
Rieta
Dec 28, 2015 Rieta rated it really liked it
Really great book. Scary plotline. Kept me on the hook. I really liked the heroine.
Vincent O'Neil
Dec 09, 2010 Vincent O'Neil rated it it was amazing
Rachel Brady's FINAL APPROACH is a marvelous debut mystery novel and the start of a great series. Filled with action, humor, and some very touching moments, it follows reluctant investigator Emily Locke as she infiltrates a sky-diving school linked to the disappearance of several children. The sequel novel, DEAD LIFT, has already been released so those of you who won't read a series until there's more than one book available -- go ahead and pick these up.
Kim
Oct 13, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
While I liked the setting of a sky diving school and the concept of child trafficking as the crime, there were times when I had a hard time believing the heroine Emily Locke would really have behaved the way she did. We're all used to protaganists that risk all and look before they leap, but some of Emily's decisions felt contrived and unrealistic to me. Just my opinion. In fairness, I did get hooked and I did want to finish it.
Mary
Feb 09, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
My local bookclub is hosting the author at our February meeting. She uses/writes from my local library. How cool is that!
Really liked the author - super sweet, very involved in community/family/current events. The book, not so much. Had a hard time getting into it, but I liked her so much I will probably read another of hers.
Shirley Worley
Mar 05, 2013 Shirley Worley rated it really liked it
Considering I have never flown before, I found the skydiving background in Final Approach very unusual and fresh. This is my first book by author Rachel Brady and I found it fast paced and full of interesting characters. I especially would like to see if her interest in Vince carries on into the next book.
Terry
Apr 06, 2010 Terry rated it liked it
Rachel Brady's debut novel mixes child abduction with skydiving. A whole new vocabulary and life-style for me and it certainly ramped up the action! Great details and plenty of opportunities for Ellie's return. 1st in a new series.
Texaspoet
I started reading this book today and I'm taking it with me on a trip to Boston, a four hour flight both ways so I'll probably finish it by Thursday. Great book. A masterful author. I highly recommend this book.
Tammy Summers
Jul 05, 2012 Tammy Summers rated it it was ok
This book was pretty predictable. It lacked suspense and creativity. It provided an interesting description of sky diving. So if you're a sky-diving enthusiast, you may like it.
Jason
Feb 24, 2010 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a thrill a minute. One minute my heart was racing the next it was breaking. Really great story! I can't wait to read by Ms. Brady! Yay for new authors!
Marla
Jul 23, 2014 Marla rated it really liked it
I got this book from the library and thought it was quite good. Apparently this is her first book and I would definately try another one of her books
Ann
Jan 24, 2010 Ann rated it liked it
Although I don't ever expect to sky dive, Rachel held my attention with her exciting plot. I didn't really connect to the characters, though.
Caroline
May 12, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Fun to read about skydiving even though I don't want to do it! Intense story. Good reading.
Lida
Jul 18, 2011 Lida rated it liked it
On iPhone
Just OK, nothing special, but moved along enough to finish it.
Angie
Mar 10, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Wasn't my favorite book but it was decent
Jen
May 13, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
A fun mystery beach read.
Marcia Shutro
Marcia Shutro marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Margaret Von Bevern
Margaret Von Bevern marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A graduate of Wright State University and The Ohio State University, Rachel works as a biomedical engineer at NASA in addition to writing mystery and suspense fiction. Her interests include health and fitness, acoustic guitar, and books of all kinds. She lives outside of Houston, Texas, with her family. Final Approach was her debut novel in the Emily Locke series, which features a different sporti ...more
More about Rachel Brady...

Emily Locke (2 books)
  • Dead Lift (Emily Locke, #2)

“When you're problem solving with a team and somebody has an idea separate the idea from the person talking, because once in a while a jackass might come up with something useful.” 12 likes
“I rested my head on the wall behind me and closed my eyes, wishing my life had a button: Ignore All.” 11 likes