Start by marking “The Sunny Side: Short Stories and Poems for Proper Grown-Ups” as Want to Read:
The Sunny Side: Short Stories and Poems for Proper Grown-Ups

The Sunny Side: Short Stories and Poems for Proper Grown-Ups

From the beloved creator of Winnie-the-Pooh comes an irresistible collection of short stories guaranteed to delight readers of all ages.

Drawing from a collection of stories originally published in 1921 and chosen exclusively by the author himself, The Sunny Side gathers the best short works by the inimitable A. A. Milne. Written for the satire magazine Punch, these brief s
Published June 26th 2007 by Ecco (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunny Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunny Side

Elisabeth
Feb 29, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, humor
Some of my earliest literary memories are of my mother reading all the original Winnie-the-Pooh books aloud to me, but I didn't discover A.A. Milne's writings for adults until just a few years ago. The Sunny Side is a collection of his short stories and poems for the magazine Punch, and I absolutely love it. It's classic dry British humor and sweet satire on a variety of subjects. The section 'Men of Letters', dealing with all matters literary, is of course a favorite. 'The Complete Dramatist,' ...more
Nathan
Sep 24, 2011 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Short stories, poems, and thoughts - quite fun :)

You know it's good book when the Author in preface tells you to skip section #1 and start with section #2 and then read the beginning last - citing that the characters familiar to regular readers found in section #1 will then be as familiar to you as they already are to them -- or some such nonsense :)

One of the poems: Golden Memories (you can find it on line) features Salmon Mayonnaise

----

Having reached the end of the book - This is easily my
CJ Bowen
Oct 23, 2012 CJ Bowen rated it really liked it
While Pooh stands alone, Milne's other writings are worth reading, especially this collection of short stories and silly poems, many from his days with Punch. He lampoons literary pretensions in several self-conscious stories and plays, and his explanation of his "One Star" as a Second Lieutenant is hilarious. Anytime "Celia" appeared, the story would be a great example of Milne's gift of mining the mundane for lightly humorous gold, but my favorite is probably the one describing the sound of a ...more
charlotte Phillips
Feb 02, 2008 charlotte Phillips rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, my-5-stars
More than our beloved author behind Winnie-the-Pooh, this is a reminder that Milne had a life before getting involved with his children's stuffed animals. He fought in The Great War, had and loved a wife, and lived the small, frugal city life. His stories have a wonderful appreciation for the small details that make life truly precious. I love Milne's sense of humor. From these essays, you get the impression that he and his wife loved each other and had a good time making each other laugh.
Patricia
Apr 14, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
With all the bad things going on in our world, I’ve been looking for something fun to read. I hit the jackpot with The Sunny Side by A. A. Milne, author of Winnie the Pooh. His collection of short articles published in the British Satire Magazine Punch before, during and after the Great War, are still a hoot to read to read 90 years later…where wars are still going on. I have picked a The Way Down, a short piece to read at our annual hiking week talent show.
April WW
Mar 26, 2009 April WW rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I'm reading this one as slowly and sparingly as I can! It's a bedside table book, and I read so much A. A. Milne growing up that it feels like hearing from a favorite old relative or family friend who I haven't heard from in years or something. It's dated and quaint but funny and comforting. Very nice so far. Even if I'm far from a Proper Grown-Up!

And how funny is it that for a while I was reading "The Sunny Side" and "Twilight" simultaneously?
Carolien
Dec 05, 2014 Carolien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I wish he wrote more adult novels. This is such fun and I would love to get to know some of these characters Ina full length book.
Arya
Oct 24, 2016 Arya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sense of humour is perfect. It's subtle and British and self-deprecatory, and takes little things in normal life and makes them funny, and I think that that's very hard to do and yet A. A. Milne does it seemingly effortlessly.
My favourite chapter was the one called The Complete Dramatist. It was superb.
Meredith
Charming, sweet, sometimes touching. At first I ignored the authors suggestion of saving the first section for the end, but I couldn't get into it at all. On following his advice I enjoyed the rest of the book and sure enough, found myself prepared to enjoy the first section.
Avril
Feb 02, 2013 Avril rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A. A. Milne is as funny writing for adults as he is when writing for children; if you're a Winnie the Pooh fan you'll enjoy this.

I particularly appreciate Milne's satirical pieces on WW1, in which he fought. I'm actually a little surprised that 'Armageddon' made it into print at all. It begins with Porkins sitting in his club saying that England wants a war to rid it of the flab that comes from pandering to the poor; continues through the stupidity of various countries, all terrified of losing t
Elisabeth Bridges
Apr 14, 2016 Elisabeth Bridges rated it really liked it
I mean, come on. A.A. Milne for Proper Grown-Ups? Not that Pooh isn't for grown-ups, of course.

Being an incredibly awkward shy person, myself, I particularly enjoyed the story "A Warm Half-Hour," featuring ninepennyworth of ice and Algernon, the overwhiskered crustacean. There are also helpful tips on prestidigitation if you are ever stuck at a house-party over the "festive season" (copyright).

Oh, and I defy you to find me a story beginning with the line "'Cauliflower!' shrieked Gaspard Volauve
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Nov 03, 2013 Melissa Lee-Tammeus rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed
Clearly, I am not a proper grown up. This is a very dated book with incredibly proper English and very old style stories that I just could not get into. I really wanted to tout myself as a well educated person who would love this style of poetry and storytelling, but alas, I am not. I fear I am missing something and may regret not finishing this, but for the moment, life is too short and this book just isn't doing it for me. On page 54, Milne explains my thoughts in his own words: "The whole ...more
Anthony
Jun 14, 2010 Anthony rated it really liked it
My first experience with A.A. Milne (despite bragging for years about how Winnie the Pooh was conceptualized on a trip to Winnipeg). I really love his sense of humour and his voice and look forward to his children's books as well. His voice is like he's a guest on Conan or like it would fit on Comedy Central despite being from 1920 (no graphic content but his presentation is like modern comics I love) with charm and wit as well.
May 12, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: A. A. Milne fans, short story readers
I love Mr. Montagu Mott from "A Poetry Recital" because he was a real poet yet it took him three years to write "Why Is the Fat Woman's Face So Red?" and nothing more.

"It is a hard thing to say of any man, but he appeared to me to be entirely lacking in intellect." (Milne 233)

"If you mix in the right society, and only see the wrong people once, it is really quite easy to be an authority on birds--or, I imagine, on anything else." (Milne 249)
Liz
Jan 10, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, poetry
A delight! Just don't try to read it all in one go. Fans of Adrian Plass, P.G. Wodehouse and Daniel Handler will like this guy. He's my new discovery in the world of adult fiction! It's exactly the sort of stuff I like to write when I'm in the mood. Very light, dry, and hilariously funny. The one on how to write a play is an absolute scream--way to take down literary pretensions! I am now on an active hunt for more...
Arista
Feb 25, 2016 Arista rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Sunny Side is the first book I've read from A.A. Milne and I can't wait to pick up more of his work!

This little collection of short stories and poetry is adorable and a quick pleasurable read. It covers a variety of topics and situations, so you're never bored. Each night I read a chapter I was given a glimpse into a different world and what fun worlds they were!

This book is humorous, heartfelt, confusing and exciting; and I recommend it to most everyone!
Maggie
Jan 23, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, essays
gentle of nature and easy reading. some, of course, are more humorous than others but on other days and other energy levels i would probably reverse the order of what i found funny and which ones i found tedious. i know for sure: in this fast-paced world, i love escaping with gentle literature ... i am able to recover my own gentle nature by doing so. yay for a.a. milne.
SarahC
Jan 09, 2011 SarahC rated it liked it
Shelves: best-picks
I actually take this up to 3 1/2 stars. These short stories are the only writing for adults by Milne that I have read. They have the smart humour and quiet charm of his Winnie-the Pooh stories and do offer a glimpse of World War I and thoughts from the years following. A good volume if you are interested in that period.
Chris
Feb 17, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
A. A. Milne is best known for his Winnie the Pooh series, which is a shame, as his adult works are wonderful as well. The Sunny Side is a collection of short stories originally published in the British Humor Magazine Punch. The stories are humorous and dry; fans of Daniel Handler would love Milne's work.
Marci
Sep 04, 2009 Marci rated it really liked it
I loved this book of short stories, none of which are like his children's stories--these really are for grown-ups, but no less delightful! He has a very sharp wit and dry sense of humor. The stories evoke the era just before and during the first World War in England. Human nature never changes, and humor like Milne's is timeless.
Merritt
Dec 28, 2009 Merritt rated it really liked it
This book was just lovely.

The Sunny Side is a collection of writings that is light, funny, and elegant. It was just so much fun to read. Perhaps not anything thrilling, but I just loved it.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a little sunshine.
kristen
Jan 17, 2013 kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Short Pieces by Milne written in the early 20th century. Same enjoyable wit and humorous flavor I get when reading Winnie-the-Pooh. A bit too dry for my taste. Glad to have read his collection for adults but I didn't love it.
Eric
Feb 23, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: own
A series of essays and short stories from the author who brought us Winnie the Pooh. All were very lighthearted and some were absolutely hysterical, but some references dealing with an England from before I was born were lost on me.
Johanna
May 19, 2016 Johanna rated it really liked it
Probably just a 3.5. Some of these entries are better than others. Still, it's interesting to see Milne's adult writing when I practically know Winnie the Pooh by heart and am getting to enjoy it all over again with my kids. He's charming and witty, just as he is in Pooh.
Aurora
Feb 08, 2008 Aurora rated it it was amazing
Funny, wonderfully touching, and horrifying to think of what these seemingly light-hearted tales actually represent. This is a true jewel of a book.
Kerry-Anne Gilowey
If I ever get myself motivated enough to write for fun, this is probably the sort of ridiculousness I would create. So naturally, I enjoyed it very much.
 Barb Bailey
Jan 16, 2009 Barb Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2009
Miline's childrens books were wonderful....this book was a bit of a dissapointment in comparison. I enjoyed a few of the short stories but on a whole thought they were a bit borning.
Cayenne
May 15, 2013 Cayenne rated it really liked it
Silly, refreshing, sweet, and delightful. Picked it up off the shelf at the library and I'm so glad I did.
Lauren
Jan 02, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I love this charming book! It made me laugh harder than I ever have and endeared itself to me right away!
Dottie
A reissued collection of Milne's writings for Punch as well as other bits and pieces. Very enjoyable.
  • Civil to Strangers and Other Writings
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • Why War Is Never a Good Idea
  • The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham: East and West (Vol. 1 of 2))
  • Taps at Reveille
  • The Best of MUTTS
  • Tales of Suspense
  • A House-Boat on the Styx
  • Going On Sixteen
  • Star Spangled Summer (Penny Parrish, #1)
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...