Start by marking “Mirrors Never Lie” as Want to Read:
Mirrors Never Lie

Mirrors Never Lie

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Bonnie is 5'3" and weighs 109 lbs. and believes she is fat. Her sister, the fashion model, suggests that she might want to drop a few pounds before trying out for cheerleading, and her mother keeps a picture of a big, ugly pig on the refrigerator. Eating and appearances are certainly issues in this family. Bonnie does drop a few pounds and makes the cheerleading squad and ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1984 by Willowisp Press

To ask other readers questions about Mirrors Never Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirrors Never Lie

karen
oh, man, back when i was 13 or so, these kinds of books were such a big deal - they were like the predecessors of that topical writer-cyclone jodi picoult, where the publishers would take a Big Problem facing teens, and just huck a formulaic book at it. suicide, pregnancy, drugs, sexual abuse: see a teenage problem, build a book around it. my own personal morbid fascination was with the betrayal of the body. and i read 'em all: "shit, i have cancer", "i am in a coma","holy scoliosis", "dude, whe ...more
Jen
Nov 16, 2009 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya-lit
I had read this back in the 80's, and was overcome with the urge to re-read it after seeing a post on some book blog about it.

And to tell you the truth, this book sort of scared me during my re-read. It seems like such an enabling eating disorder book. I guess in the 80's, talking about stuff like this was still taboo, but I just felt this overwhelming icky feeling. Lots of emotions. Most of them not wonderful. Plus the book wrapped up a little too neatly in the end for me.

Still, I guess a bra
Lauren Fidler
i'm pretty sure i read every crappy teen book equivalent of an afterschool special when i was in elementary. for some reason this book and The Prettiest Girl in the World stand out among the rest.

i LOVED these books, which is odd considering i was a chubby little preteen with a huge buddah belly, gobbling up some fairly graphic accounts of adolescent anorexia.

what can i say...i was a weird kid.
Heather Letalien Costa
I remember reading this book and it had such a profound effect on me that I still remember it very well to this day. I still use the theory from this book that sometimes you can have a false image of yourself and what you look like.
Ashley
A much-loved young adult novel about a high school teenager who becomes anorexic and how the disorder affects her life and the lives of those around her.
Allison
I read this in the 80's, but it had a huge impact on me, taught me a LOT about anorexia/eating disorders. Can't believe i found it on here.
Mell
Jan 19, 2014 Mell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction, ya
Read this in high school- about the evils of anorexia. We all passed this one around.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Naida Salihspahic
Naida Salihspahic marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
CaKEandLies
CaKEandLies marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Rianna
Rianna marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Hallie
Hallie is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Nikki Fernandez
Nikki Fernandez marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Althea Wee
Althea Wee marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Diana
Diana added it
Dec 26, 2014
Bee Cee
Bee Cee marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Magdiel A.
Magdiel A. marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Kellie Peavler
Kellie Peavler marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Life-Size
  • All of Me
  • Unwell
  • Goodbye, Paper Doll
  • Mercy, Unbound
  • Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder
  • Dying to Be Thin: Understanding and Defeating Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia--A Practical, Lifesaving Guide
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • Slim to None: A Journey Through the Wasteland of Anorexia Treatment
  • Insatiable: The Compelling Story of Four Teens, Food and Its Power
  • Perfect: Anorexia & Me
  • Uno's Garden
Thirteen is Too Young to Die No No Joan The Chance Of A Lifetime The Journal of Jenny September Dinosaurs of the Ages