Start by marking “The Stabbing in the Stables: A Fethering Mystery ” as Want to Read:
The Stabbing in the Stables: A Fethering Mystery

The Stabbing in the Stables: A Fethering Mystery (Fethering Mystery #7)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Jude and Carole Seddon find themselves in the midst of some horseplay after stumbling upon the body of ex-equestrian Walter Fleet. The police attribute the stabbing to the mysterious "Horse Ripper." But considering Walter's track record out of the saddle, Jude and Carole find that there are plenty of suspects.
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Stabbing in the Stables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stabbing in the Stables

Marfita
Surprise, surprise! I had read this one before. I didn't recognize the title (although it should be memorable) before picking it up, but as I went on it started sounding more familiar. Typical with me, although I remembered bits and pieces of it, most of it was still a mystery to me and required little or no yelling at the book. In this book Jude and Carole lament their lack of access to forensic evidence. The police just make things so hard for the amateur sleuth! Jude's uncharacteristic attent ...more
Jan C
Someone is out there mutilating horses. Jude is branching out into horse healing, or trying to. But apparently Donald has the inside track.

A horse owner asks Jude for her help with a horse but she's late for the appointment. So Jude is all alone when she gets there. Or so she thinks. There is also the late Walter who won't be missed by his wife. Apparently there are beaucoup unhappy marriages in this area. And Carol is afraid her son's may be one of them.

Relatively interesting since I don't kno
Elaine
Great book for us horse people! Accurate so it doesn't irritate you when you're reading about details!
Becky Rippel
May 04, 2014 Becky Rippel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone liking cozy British sleuths
Shelves: mysteryscape
Jude is puzzled when she is asked to use her healing powers on a lame horse. She doesn't normally work on animals. When she finds the body of Walter Fleet, a former equestrian champion, and current ladies man, Jude and neighbor, Carole set out to find a murderer. In addition to the main plot, side stories will have you turning pages as fast as you can read. All of Simon Brett's Feathering Mysteries - of which this is one, are great as are his Mrs. Pargeter books.
Grey853
Someone is mutilating horses and killing people.

This is the second time I've started this book and I had to force myself to finish. I found the characters annoying, the conversations unrealistic, and the repetition tedious.

It's just not my style of story.
Debbie
Not only did I guess "whodunnit" in this book, but I also guessed the outcome of all the minor plotlines as well. I have already purchased the next installment of the series, so I will give it another chance, but three strikes and I will be finished. (I predicted the outcome in the last installment as well.)
Ivonne Rovira
The Stabbing in the Stables, the latest of Simon Brett's forays into the lives of Jude and Carole in the fictional Sussex town of Fethering, is as fresh and clever as the first in the series. As others have mentioned, usually series begin to become tired (witness the once-great Agatha Raisin series) or parodies of themselves (e.g., the "Cat Who" mysteries). But Simon Brett seems immune to any of that.

The sign of a truly great series is when you can't wait for the next one. That's certainly the c
db
A story that I found interesting off and on
Margaret
2.5 stars. It was fine, just not the best in the series. There wasn't much advancement of the characters, and I saw the ending coming from a mile away.
Windy
More antics for Jude and Carole in this quick and easy read
Emna Ghrabli
The ending was kinda predictable
Emily
The author has definitely improved over the last two books in this series. I enjoyed this one. Like the last one (Witness at the Wedding), the ending was predictable. However it was a fun read and the characters were interesting, especially the Irish horse healer. I was considering giving up after this book (it was given to me so I wanted to read up to this point), however, I have decided to carry on. Carol and Jude are fun amature sleuths. If you want a light mystery, this is it.
Diana Hockley
This is the type of "cozy" mystery which I enjoy and anything with horses or animals in it is always acceptable to me. Don't like the mutilation of animals but I guess this was what the plot was mainly about.

I hadn't heard of or read this series before and found the characters to be engaging, the book well written and the mystery reasonably absorbing. The description of the visit to the races was fun and informative.

I shall look for more from this author.
Tom
This was title was typical of this amateur English series, which I usually enjoy. I put in the category of a pleasant read. I appreciate that the Brett does not rely on the protagonists having a romantic or familial relationship with the police. For me the story telling and puzzle are of most interest and both are good in this title. I did have to suspend belief occasionally, but it was not so much that I did not like the book.
Nancy
Jenny
Not the most intriguing mystery Carole and Jude have solved, but it's always a good quick fun read. Carole is growing as a person and Jude continues to show off more interests and friendships. One of the parts that I have the hardest time beleiving is when Sonia confides in Jude... I don't think someone in her position would admit it to a relative stranger.
Andrea
Good installment of this series. This is a fun listen, read by the author, though the recording quality didn't seem as good as some of the previous installments. Carol & Jude are on the trail of another murdering in their quiet seaside town. This time Carol unexpectedly comes out of her shell and pushes the investigation forward.
Anne Hawn Smith
I read this in June as an audio book for listening to in my car and it was an on and off thing. Sadly, 2 months later, I can hardly remember enough of the book to write a review. I guess that tells me something! I do remember that is was interesting enough to continue to listen it but alas, not memorable enough stay with me.
Cheryl
It's getting a wee bit old that either Carole or Jude ends up in danger from the murderer who is someone we never quite expected. But this was a nice twist with an unlikely murderer and a more unlikely reason (although all made sense within the context of itself).
Sue Kutay
I enjoyed this book. this is the first book of this series that i have read and I found it an engaging British amateur sleuth novel. It kept me guessing until the last few chapters. the sleuth duo were appealing.

I finished it in one weekend so it kept my attention.
Virginia Walter
Carole and Jude, two women of a certain age and neighbors in the West Sussex village of Fethering, turn their attention to solving another crime, this time a murder in a local stable. A readable entry in the cozy corner of the mystery genre, but a little predictable.
Janet Meissner
Fun. Well thought-out mystery - I was surprised at the killer at the end. Book was a gift - it took less than a day to read. Most of the long list of suspects were in dysfunctional marriages, which maybe reflects our society, but I hope not.
Kim
I started reading this series years ago. I may not remember the plot, but I recall the series having likeable characters if little mystery. I enjoyed the titles well enough that I read the new releases.
Anne C.
Back to the old standard structure... but still enjoyable.
I like Carol and Jude and appreciate that things happen between them and the other characters that are open-ended and variable.
Maureen
Another enjoyable read in the Fethering series. Simon Brett's wry humour and comments on contemporary society add to the enjoyment of these "cozy" mysteries.
Margaret
Glad to know that alternative healing works on horses. Not the best of these but good to listen to while doing sit-ups, crunches and planks...groan.
Meg
This is such a fun series. This one had a lot of horsey stuff, which normally bores me to tears, but this book stayed interesting.
Jane
This is the first of his books I've read. I found the storyline trite and the women sleuths improbable, very disappointing.
Shirley Evans
I found I had already read this one but didn't mind reading it again. It is well written and good light entertainment.
Lisa
lots of twists and turns and the final bend took me to an unexpected conclusion! very good!
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)
  • The Chardonnay Charade (Wine Country Mysteries #2)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • The Prisoner of Brenda
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • Arms And The Women (Dalziel & Pascoe, #18)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Fethering Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)