Start by marking “The Girls' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything” as Want to Read:
The Girls' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything

The Girls' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything

A spiffy guide to anything and everything a girl could need to know!

How to do almost anything in one handy little book!

Feel like impressing your friends? Show them how you can make a crystal (p. 16), juggle
Published September 1st 2007 by Scholastic Press (first published January 22nd 2007)

Maggie
Nov 11, 2008 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Maggie by: My Aunt
This book may not teach you how to be the best at everything, but it does get pretty close. It shows you how to *explain why your late for school to cope if zombies attack. Overall this is a great book.

* If a teacher is reading.The explanations are lame excuses.
Kris
Mar 04, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls 8-12 yr old girls, & those who remember being that age!
Recommended to Kris by: friends
Shelves: ahh-youth
I bought this for my 11 yr old niece as a Christmas gift, and she loved it. As a "budding thespian", she had fun acting out some of the suggestions... while Aunt Kris read them aloud. ;-)
I learned about it from the author, an internet friend in the UK.

It's recently been the subject of articles on feminism, neo-feminism, blah blah blah. That's taking it a bit far, IMO. A "boys'" book did well, and a publisher wanted a female companion volume. Take it for what it is -- a light-hearted amusement;
Jennifer Lila
Jul 25, 2014 Jennifer Lila rated it did not like it
Are you kidding me? I don't know if this book deserves this one star that I gave...

It was horrible and so stupid. This book learns you how to be the worst in everything and make everyone laugh at you!!

So dissapointing

Warning: Do not read this! I repeat, DO NOT READ THIS.
Kate
Dec 19, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
Okay, so what is up with this type of book showing up in libraries and bookstores recently? Are publishers trying to play the ole nostalgia card, tempting would-be buyers with the the whole...."Oh, I remember these kinds of books from when I was a kid..." Because, yeah, I picked this up because it reminded me of a book I read when I was a kid. I guess I was thinking it could be used as some sort of reference for girls, but it is not arranged in any particular manner (hello! that's the librarian ...more
Amanda Lila
Jan 30, 2014 Amanda Lila rated it did not like it
"What did I just read?" This was my reaction when I finished this book. Me and my sister laughed out loud with some of the things written here. It was pretty lame and stupid.
Kate Matson
Jan 23, 2016 Kate Matson rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Halarious, simple read. This book is about exactly what the title says; The girl's book: How to be the best at everything. Literally, EVERYTHING!
Daisy
I loved these books when I was like 8 or something and they're still entertaining for 15-year-old me now. Not all the advice is all that practical but there's some really cool little tips in here and definitely some laugh out loud moments (for instance the 'How to Survive a Horror Movie' section). Very nice illustrations and a friendly, encouraging writing style that's awesome for helping girls be more confident in themselves. A neat little book.
Debbie
Mar 26, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: how-to fans
I liked this one better than the boys' version because, for the most part, the tips in this book were more applicable to normal life. With the exception of surviving an alien invasion or a zombie attack.

Some of my favorites: keeping your shoes smalling fresh (I'll have to try this with my derby pads and skates), dealing with bullies, traveling light, studying for exams, eating with chopsticks, and basic ballet positions.
Rebecca H.
Dec 08, 2007 Rebecca H. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls who want to be best at everything
This book was cute and short. It gave you tips on everything from acting like a celebrity to being a genius to fighting off zombies. The things in this book actually work too (except for the zombie one).
Claudia
Oct 29, 2008 Claudia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: elementary girls
Shelves: nonfiction
Cute -- I'm going to share this with my granddaughers. Practical and silly advice: how to deal with bullies; what to do if zombies attack; how to have a sleepover; how to grow salt crystals. Nothing to it, but it was cute...is that damned by faint praise??

Amanda
Gives beauty tips.

This book is kind of boring. I really did not like this book, only a few of the things were intresting, and I mean very few. I really do not know what else to say about this book. It is kind of boring but it does have a few good tips, but mostly its just boring.
Esther So
It's good
Melanie
Jul 01, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
She's right girls CAN be best at everything!!!!!
Leslea
Win a copy and a box full of others: http://lesleatash.com/post/5563624616...
Meyss Tazi
Feb 06, 2015 Meyss Tazi rated it liked it
This book says everything a girl needs to know. For some of the girls, this is a really good quote about what there is in the book. “Want to be known for your unique style? Inside you'll learn how to design your own clothes (p. 35), do the perfect manicure (p. 82), or make your own lip gloss (p. 11).” These are some of the quotes that make the reader read more to learn about everything. In the pages that I read, these are the topics I read about. How to look your best in photos, How to make frie ...more
Cricket Muse
Dec 25, 2016 Cricket Muse rated it really liked it
A novelty book perfect as a stocking stuffer either as a seriously fun book for 9-11 year olds who will enjoy the mixture of goofy and practical activities ranging from surviving being in a horror movie to making a friendship bracelet. Or it could be considered a present for thirty-something women who seriously have fun reading these nostalgia guides.
The best part is the ideas are not gender-focused (well, maybe the bracelet).
Claire
Mar 10, 2009 Claire rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All girls!
Recommended to Claire by: Carrie Nurnberger
This was a cute book! Now I understand that this is actually intended for a younger reader, but I will admit that I actually learned a little bit from reading this delightful little book! The things that this book claims to teach are so funny to tell the truth! My favorites were: a few of the excuses in "How to explain why you are late for school", "How to Act like a Celebrity", "How to Survive a Horror Movie" (although if you've seen Scream, Jamie Kennedy taught you the rules), "How to Annoy Pe ...more
Jennifer Varela
Apr 30, 2014 Jennifer Varela rated it really liked it
Shelves: tl-307
This book is really informational and cute. I love that it has so many tips on beauty as well as topics that are more serious such as bullying and keeping heritage alive by looking intro ancestry and family trees. I would tell the girls in my class to look into this book during spring break, winter break, or summer break in order for them to have a little fun while reading. The fact that this is exploring another genre can make them want to look through more books that are interesting to them. I ...more
Charly-kate
Oct 08, 2011 Charly-kate rated it it was amazing
I brought this book for £1.99 in a charity book store whilst on holiday. probably one of the best bargains ever! the book itself is in perfect condition, looks brand new, and the contents of the book really entertained me the rest of the time i was away.
i have made a time capsule from it and some sugar mice and i am hoping to get many more inspirational ideas out of it!

I know there are some really silly things in there like "How to cross Niagara falls on a tight rope." but these things are a
Dolly
This is an entertaining collection of basic advice for how to do a variety of things. The advice is limited to one or two small pages per topic, so it's not overly comprehensive, but on the whole, the advice is good. The book has a few small black and white illustrations, but is mainly text.

Our oldest borrowed this book from her elementary school library, and I just had to read it for myself. From looking at the reviews for the 'boys' book, I see that the topics for the girls are much tamer and
Melissa Dwyer
Aug 06, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it liked it
Originally rated G by Judy Ermlick
This book and its companion The Boy's Book of How to be the Best at Everything will be popular because it is different, intriguing, and tends to invoke at least the fantasy of "I'm gonna try that!".Their smaller size is a plus, and the diagrams are good. Also, these would directly match the “how to “ writings that our students do. This might be especially good for thye non-fiction readers who want books about "doing"
Samantha Penrose
Dec 23, 2013 Samantha Penrose rated it it was ok
Shelves: older-kids
Not nearly as cool as the boys version. :(
Learn to look your best in photos, make bubble bath, deal with bullies, blow big bubbles, be a natural beauty, make sugar mice, act like a celebrity, travel with one bag, do sudoku, groom a horse, keep a diary, make bread, be a ballerina, care for baby chicks, win a staring contest, eat with chopsticks, do the splits...
I recommend the boys version instead. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Aleksandra Rafailović
Jul 27, 2014 Aleksandra Rafailović rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Considering it was ironic that my friend gave me this book, I'm giving it solid three stars, 'cause the irony of my friend presenting and giving me the book really cheered me up. Otherwise, I'd give it two stars. Anyways, it can be read in an hour or so, and it is pretty light. So, even if you read it, you won't waste much time.
Millie Calley
May 01, 2016 Millie Calley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So useful

This book is such a fun read because it gives you ideas for what to do when your bored and has random how tos that you will probably never need to use like how to survive a zombie Apocalypse
Dra.
Aug 04, 2007 Dra. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
This book published by Buster books and author is Juliana Foster.

How to book for our little girls, contain hundreds how to , such as how to looks best on your photo, how to predict weather, how to sudoko puzzle ect...
Jenny
Sep 06, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, random
A cute little book on how to be the best at some pretty nifty things.

Includes lists of how to annoy people while in an elevator, to how to read a friend's palm!

This book would be nice to own as a little, random how-to-do random stuffs guide.
Mckinley
Jul 27, 2014 Mckinley rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, women
Not sure why this is geared towards girls. Boys don't have jet lag or other of these topics?
Every brief entries, short, supposed to be funny (but I didn't really find much all that amusing but rather a bit sarcastic and cheeky). I would follow the advise or recommend it. Didn't appeal to me.
Sally
Jun 27, 2010 Sally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Kind of lame. Some of the tips were useful, some were funny, some were just stupid. I know it's aimed at kids, but giving tips for how to be annoying in public? Fail.

Did inspire me to grow my own tomatoes on our balcony, though!
Melissa
quirky. fun. good toilet reading. everything from how to make the perfect paper frog to acting like a celebrity to knitting with your fingers. definitely geared for kids or for adults who need a good laugh.
Ariannaaponte
Jun 03, 2009 Ariannaaponte rated it it was amazing
Its a pretty good book to read for how to on everything. Plus crafts and alien and zombie invasion help!
  • The Boys Book
  • The Girls' Book Of Glamour: A Guide To Being A Goddess (Buster Books)
  • The Pocket Daring Book for Girls: Things to Do
  • The Great Big Glorious Book For Girls
  • The Boys' Book of Survival: How to Survive Anything, Anywhere
  • 211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do
  • Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Teens Cook: How to Cook What You Want to Eat
  • Human Body: A Book with Guts! (Basher Science)
  • Planet Earth: What Planet Are You On? (Basher Science)
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • Why Is Snot Green?: And Other Extremely Important Questions (and Answers)
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • Pick Me Up - Stuff You Need To Know...
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture