Start by marking “Dervish Is Digital (Artificial Reality Division #2)” as Want to Read:
Dervish Is Digital (Artificial Reality Division #2)

Dervish Is Digital (Artificial Reality Division #2)

Dore Konstantin, officer in charge of Technocrime, Artificial Reality Division has to deal with a stalker. Susannah Ell is the one being stalked, by ex-husband Hasting Dervish or so she claims. She feels Dervish has swapped places with an ambitious AI who wants to infiltrate her AR design studio.
Published October 1st 2001 by Pan MacMillan (first published July 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dervish Is Digital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dervish Is Digital

Gary Ballard
Having learned that Pat Cadigan is considered an important cyberpunk author, I felt compelled to read at least one of her books. I came into the story cold, not having read any of the other books starring the main character Konstantin. The book starts out interesting enough, with a bit of style and flair but I found the style wore on me after only a little while. Something about the way the character spoke bothered me, as if the author tried to be too cute with her dialog, causing the character' ...more
Penny
Mar 01, 2017 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas, but the protagonist is too much of a blank slate.
Kevin
Jun 25, 2011 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In Pat Cadigan's previous novel, Tea from an Empty Cup, she introduced readers to Doré Konstantin, a homicide detective tracking down a murder leading to AR (Artificial Reality). In Dervish is Digital, Cadigan returns to the world of AR, where everything is a lie and must be accepted as such. Konstantin, too, is back, heading up the TechnoCrime division, a job that is more like purgatory than actual hell, but nevertheless not her life's dream.

If Tea was cyberpunk mixed with Eastern mysticism, on
John
Jan 16, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Once again Pat Cadigan shows why she is one of our finest science fiction writers in this elegant Chandleresque cyberpunk thriller. Lieutenant Dore Konstantin from "Tea From An Empty Cup" returns to help Susannah Ell, who insists she's being stalked by her ex-husband, Hastings Dervish. At first it seems like a rather implausible accusation since Dervish is one of the world's richest men. Yet Konstantin finds herself soon in a wild, rollercoaster ride through AR (Artificial Reality) contending no ...more
Miodrag Mitic
Another novel centered on the detective Dore Konstantin introduced to us in the "Tea From An Empty Cup". I did not enjoy this one as much. The action takes place in virtual reality, so it relies on your own imagination to follow Cadigan's description of it. Otherwise, it is just a detective novel. If you dream of taking the Second Life concept to its logical extreme, this may be of interest. It does not however come close to the Metaverse in Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash. Take the Dervish on a bu ...more
Bennie
Even though a major amount of this novel's time is spent in virtual reality, its written in an old school, hardboiled, slow-moving manner. The main problem to me is that the leading character just isn't "hardboiled". She's essentially a good guy with no character flaws. That just didn't fit in my opinion.
Florin Pitea
I read this one back in 2002, after I had read the first one, "Tea from an Empty Cup", back in 2001 (on September the 11th, no less). I'm still waiting for the last novel in the sequence, "Reality Was a Friend of Mine".
Alain Dewitt
May 18, 2010 Alain Dewitt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Quick, mostly entertaining read. However, it suffers from an ending that can't measure up to the build up that leads to it. I may try another Cadigan/Konstantin book, but I won't rush out and buy her catalog.
Kelly Spoer
I liked this better than the first one in the series. I felt less lost I guess.

Cadigan has a knack for unfulfilled endings though.
Jimmy
Aug 12, 2014 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dervish wasn't as satisfying as other Cadigan novels but it is always a pleasure to fall into her hard boiled prose.
D.J.
Jan 04, 2010 D.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Confusing and, unfortunately, pretty banal for a cyberpunk novel. I think I'm done with Cadigan -- this is two books out of three that I just didn't like at all.
Liam
Liam rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2008
Ed Mitchell
Ed Mitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Tim Poston
Tim Poston rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Chris Bickford
Chris Bickford rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Frithnanth
Frithnanth rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Praystation2
Praystation2 rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Chris Bisanar
Chris Bisanar rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
 Martyn
Martyn rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2010
Sean McKeon
Sean McKeon rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Þórhallur
Þórhallur rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Gary Bunker
Gary Bunker rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Ptolemaios Jonsson
Ptolemaios Jonsson rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Nekropolis
  • The Secret of Life
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • The Messengers of Death
  • Hanging Time (April Woo, #2)
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • The Night Mayor
  • Redrobe
  • Death's Door  (Special X, #9)
  • Silver Screen
  • Cold Justice (Kali O'Brien, #5)
  • Mesmerized
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • Crystal Express
  • The Bird Yard
  • The Fourth Sacrifice (China Thrillers, #2)
  • Archangel Protocol (LINK Angel, #1)
Pat Cadigan is an American-born science fiction author, who broke through as a major writer as part of the cyberpunk movement. Her early novels and stories all shared a common theme, exploring the relationship between the human mind and technology.

Her first novel, Mindplayers, introduced what became a common theme to all her works. Her stories blurred the line between reality and perception by mak
More about Pat Cadigan...

Artificial Reality Division (3 books)
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Reality Used to Be a Friend of Mine