Pieces of White Shell

Pieces of White Shell

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This unusual book is an introduction to Navajo culture by a storyteller. Steeped in the lore of the Navajo reservation, where she worked as a teacher, the author came to see Navajo legend and ritual as touchstones for evaluating her own experience. She presents them here as a means for all people to locate their own history, traditions, and sense of how to live well.
"To kn...more
Published May 1st 1987 by University of New Mexico Press (first published 1984)

Chibineko
While I liked this book, I'll be honest that I might not have read it if it wasn't a school read.

When it comes to immersing herself into the Navajo culture, Williams does an excellent job and at times it's very hard to remember that she's a white Mormon woman rather than someone who was born and raised Navajo. I'm sure that people more familiar with the Navajo culture could see where she's not born as such, but for the average Jane looking in...

The only problem I really had with this book was t...more
Laura (booksnob)
Terry Tempest Williams is a fierce environmentalist and is doing her best to educate readers about the connection between the people, the animals and the land. Pieces of a White Shell delves into Terry's life as a teacher on the Navajo reservation in Utah and makes connections between Navajo culture, legend and history and Terry's own life and spiritual culture as a Mormon.

"I offer you a sampling of the Navajo voice, of my own voice and the voice of the land that moves us. We are told a story an...more
Janet Wilcox
The first time I read this, 20 some years ago, I hadn't had time nor opportunity to get the feel of the land and people in SE Utah, as I was so busy being a mom. Now with many decades of life experiences among the Navajo and reservation, I found I could finally identify with her experiences and enjoy this book. So many of the places I've been to now. It makes a difference. Terry is a wonderful reader and story teller. Stories from this book are included in an audio version.
Lisa
Williams writes about her experiences on the Navajo Nation and with the people that she met while she worked on the Navajo Nation. She is poetic and she weaves in the stories that she heard while there. She tries very hard to understand the land and the people. Although it is a good book by Williams, Just remember that if you want true insight into the Navajo people and land, you should definitely read a book written by a Navajo author. :)
Monica Spencer
Insightful look at the Diné culture from an outsider's perspective. However, this read more as "Diné Culture 101" than a series of personal essays. I would have liked to have read more on how she personally related to and was impacted by living and working on the reservation.
Jane Wolfe
In this book, Terry Tempest Williams uses the essay form to weave Native American stories, flora and fauna of the southwest with her sense of spirituality. In doing so, she gently nudges the reader to consider their own stories. As always, Williams' essays are a joy to read.
Annette
Explores the experiences of the author teaching on the Navajo reservation. Describes how her growing appreciation for the culture of the Native American people helped her understand her own heritage and people.
Rae
Along with Refuge, this was my first introduction to Terry Tempest Williams. I absolutely flipped over her writing style and her love of the desert Southwest. I've been a huge fan ever since.
Jackie Harris
This was an interesting book in regards to learning the Navajo Culture. I wouldn't have particularly chosen to read it on my own, but overall, not a bad read.
Ariane
I always wanted more from her in terms of scientific fact or explanations and a little less on the prose. But that's just me I suppose.
Hope
An exquisite piece of writing about one of my favorite places on the planet: Canyon de Chelley in northern Arizona. Lovely.
Eliza
Wonderful navajo stories all woven around items in a small pouch worn around one's neck....food for thought!
Jamie Akins
Interesting read on American Indian folklore and beliefs.
Marilee
Reminded me of living in Mexican hat.
idk
idk marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 05, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
May 18, 2014
Donna
Donna added it
May 13, 2014
Kelly Ritter
Kelly Ritter is currently reading it
May 08, 2014
Tammytoad
Tammytoad is currently reading it
May 26, 2014
Wailana
Wailana marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Terry Tempest Williams is an American author, conservationist and activist. Williams’ writing is rooted in the American West and has been significantly influenced by the arid landscape of her native Utah in which she was raised. Her work ranges from issues of ecology and wilderness preservation, to women's health, to exploring our relationship to culture and nature.

She has testified before Congres...more
More about Terry Tempest Williams...
Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place When Women Were Birds: Fifty-four Variations on Voice Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert An Unspoken Hunger: Stories from the Field Finding Beauty in a Broken World

“What is the most important thing one learns in school? Self-esteem, support, and friendship.” 38 likes
“Story is the umbilical cord that connects us to the past, present, and future. Family. Story is a relationship between the teller and the listener, a responsibility. . . . Story is an affirmation of our ties to one another.” 22 likes