Start by marking “Coping with Difficult People” as Want to Read:
Coping with Difficult People

Coping with Difficult People

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Bosses, friends, family members, they've madeyour life hell -- until now! Based on fourteen yearsof research and observation, Dr. Robert Bramson'sproven-effective techniques are guaranteed to helpyou right the balance and take charge of yourlife. Learn how to:

Stand up to anyone --without fighting.

Blunt a sniper'sattack.

Get a clam to talk.

Cut off aSherman tank at the pa
Published September 1st 1988 by Dell (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Coping with Difficult People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coping with Difficult People

Steven Peterson
There are some other books out there on the same subject. Some, like "Toxic Coworkers," may do the job even better. But this is still a useful volume. As the Introduction notes (page 1): "This is a book about impossible people and how to cope with them." Coping is the center of this work--how to deal with workers who are difficult to work with. The idea? (Page 7): "Coping enables you and the Difficult Person to get on with the business at hand." "Win-win" is the goal. Is the advice useful? Each ...more
Aaron
I've been doing psychiatric counseling for a few years and I'm always looking for good resources, both for myself and as recommendations for the general public. This book sets the standard for the topic. I have two main issues for review: first for the general and then for the professional.

Bramson makes the point toward the end that this is not a "self-help" book in the sense of improving self image or self esteem. It is, as it claims, a guidebook for how to cope with difficult people in your l
Jerry
I'm looking for a book on this subject that is interesting to read and doesn't bore me with anecdotes about people I don't care about. This book is a quick read, but what I got out of it could have been conveyed in 50 pages. If the subject has to be fluffed up to make a book, the writing needs to be much more entertaining. If you have a particular person in mind when you pick up this book, I'd jump right to the chapter devoted to them.
Jamie F
Oct 31, 2007 Jamie F rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants to improve dealing with difficult people
Good book with specific steps to deal with 7 different types of difficult peoople. A lot of the recommendations fit well with what I've learned in the leadership program at work, but instead of a generic approach for everyone, it gave specific steps for specific situations. It was worth reading if you have difficult coworkers or if you need to be prepared to deal with anyone! ;-)
booklady
Aug 15, 2010 booklady rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to booklady by: Jane St. Clair
Helpful book to pick up when you encounter a person who is a particular challenge and you have to deal with them on a regular basis. Teaches techniques to de-emphasize emotional aspects and view the situation from a safe distance. Invaluable with certain people.
Melinda
I was assigned to read this book for a continuing education course. It is very concrete and gives great suggestions for how to react to the different types of difficult people in your life.
Matt
The edition I read was very old, published in the early '80s. I hope later editions have updated research.

RE: this edition, I found his choice of personality types to be accurate but I disagreed with some of his analysis of why these personalities emerge.

I think sociology and business psychology has come a long way since this edition was written. Anyone who has spent any time in college has likely spent time in a management class and thus examined the topics he addresses in this book, and probab
Andrea
I read this book more than 10 years ago and am now re-reading it. It is a very quick read and is so helpful not only in work relationships but also personal ones. The primary take away is for one to focus more on their own reactions and coping strategies vs. trying to expect or effect change in a person who is difficult to deal with. I have recommended this to countless colleagues and friends. It is a small paperback, easily acquired on Amazon but buy it before it goes out of print!
Andy
Maybe I'm looking for something with a bit more bite, that offers more practical solutions than, essentially, "grin and bear it". I wanted a work that dug under the personalities and got to the driving pathology. For that, I will have to look elsewhere. And if I may be forgiven for nitpicking, this work really suffers from a case of the cutes, with workplace personalities labeled things like "the clam" or "the sherman tank".
Nicole
Dec 06, 2008 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who dislikes their boss or someone they work with (and it only takes 1!)
Recommended to Nicole by: Alleruzo in Hospitality leadership
This book is exactly what the title suggests, how to cope with difficult people. The setting of the book is in the workplace or office, but the authors ideas can be applied to just about anywhere where there are people that you do not care for. Read about the various types of "difficult people" and learn how to deal with them and their habits/manorisms, etc. professionally and most effectively.
Sherry (sethurner)
I used this book with my high school communication class because it gives several good strategies for dealing with people who belittle, berate, and generally annoy you, other than telling them off or popping them in the chops. This was a novel concept to some of my students.
Jane
I found this book to be easy to read and full of common sense advice. It also helped to look inward where my own thoughts and reactions may be contributing to a stressful situation. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to resolve a conflict in as positive manner as possible.
Robert Snow
Everyone has a boss no matter who you work for or what you do. Know how to deal with them and how to survive. A good book that not many people will read because most people don't understand what they're dealing with until it is all over and a new Boss takes over from the old.
Dave Lefevre
Very solid book even after 30 years. The basic types hold true. Some good ideas to build upon while the author keeps in mind that everyone is different.

I read this as a help with dealing with certain personality types that come up in customer service.
Paul Brandel
A fine book on dealing w/difficult coworkers.The gives the types of
those troublesome workers and technics on dealing with those coworkers.
The writer also points out how we can be a difficult person too,and
to work on our issues.

Kylir Horton
Awesome book with very applicable and usable advice. I liked how straight-forward and realistic it is. I am planning on rereading this book to pick up on more of the details. I highly recommend reading this!
Faith
I didn't read the whole book, just the section on the type of co-worker I'm having difficulty with. I thought the author's insights were spot-on, and the strategies he suggested truly have helped me cope.
Charlie
I liked this book, very practical. It seems to focus mainly on coping in the context of the workplace, but it is clear that the given techniques would work in just about any situation.
Leslie
Aug 25, 2007 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I have a copy of this book at home which I review it every now and then. It is very helpful for when you are frustrated at work, and gives tips on how to deal with each type of boss.
Briánna
Pretty good book. Lots of interesting ways to deal with those horribly difficult people, now to put them into action. All in all, good book.
K.D.
In my line of work, I have to deal with all sorts of personalities. This book has given solid solutions for the "difficult" personality traits.
David J.
Oct 25, 2010 David J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with Difficult People
Recommended to David J. by: No one....I found it!
I keep this little handy gem with me at my desk at work and refer to it often!
Sandhya
Understand people before you try to deal with them
Gena
I guess this was okay. More personality types would be helpful. You can read the bullet points at the end of each chapter and save yourself time.
Bridget
May 18, 2008 Bridget marked it as to-read
Shelves: self-help
Have this book
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life
  • An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal
  • The Anatomy of Dependence
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • Beyond Culture
  • The Object of My Affection Is in My Reflection: Coping with Narcissists
  • Loving Someone with Anxiety: Understanding and Helping Your Partner
  • The Big Book of Small Stuff: 100 of the Best Inspirations from Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • Calories & Corsets: A History of Dieting Over 2,000 Years
  • A Guide to Confident Living
  • The Bullying Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Social Aggression and Cyberbullying
  • The Power of Self-Compassion: Using Compassion-Focused Therapy to End Self-Criticism and Build Self-Confidence
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • When Your Adult Child Breaks Your Heart: Coping with Mental Illness, Substance Abuse, and the Problems That Tear Families Apart
  • No More Bullies: For Those Who Wound or Are Wounded
Coping with Difficult People What Your Boss Doesn't Tell You Until It's Too Late: How to Correct Behavior That Is Holding You Back The Stressless Home: A Step By Step Guide To Turning Your Homeinto The Haven You Deserve Coping With Difficult People in Business and in Life First Hired, Last Fired: How To Make Yourself Indispensable In An Age Of Downsizing, Mergers, And Restructuring