The President's Assassin (Sean Drummond, #5)

The President's Assassin (Sean Drummond #5)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,383 ratings  ·  90 reviews
- Brian Haig's most recent novel, Private Sector, (0-446-53178-2), was published in Warner hardcover in 9/03. It will be published in mass market to tie-in with this novel.
- There are nearly 950,000 copies of Brian Haig's novels, all of which feature JAG attorney Sean Drummond, in print. His debut, Secret Sanction, was a USA Today and Washington Post bestseller. The Kingma...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2005)

Matt
Haig continues to outdo himself with this series! While moving away from official military law and investigating, the scene is still high-paced and full of intrigue as the CIA takes Major Sean Drummond under their wing and has him working in one of their super secret branches. When a couple appears murdered, Drummond in there to assist with the investigation. When it becomes apparent that this murder shakes things all the way up to the Oval Office, things kick into high gear and Drummond becomes...more
CV Rick
Sometimes it's enough to simply dislike a book. But that wasn't enough for me. I, foolishly, looked up Brian Haig's bio before writing this review and now I feel ill. I don't even think I can stomach a review, but for you people who need to know about this atrocious, steaming pile of waste, I'll do it.

In his world, everything is black and white and all people are valorous or inept. In his world the government is a terrible burden and pot shots at its incompetence is just matter of course where h...more
Burt
I nearly had to flip a coin to decide whether to rate this book as "liked it" or "really liked it." This was the first of Brian Haig's novels that I have read and it took me a while to get used to his technique of having so much of the story line being created in Sean Drummond's mind, while significantly less of the story was developed using discourse and author-described interactions among the various characters. For me, an avid reader of fiction, it was a little difficult, albeit not particula...more
Nick Brett
This is the fifth outing for Sean Drummond, ex-military, black ops lawyer and now seconded to the CIA. Drummond is street smart but has the street mouth to go with it, not a man that sits comfortably with authority. In this, high profile politicians are assassinated with the President the ultimate target unless a large sum is paid. Drummond is teamed up with a female agent and they are given the run around as Drummond seeks the truth and decides who he can trust.

It’s a slightly convoluted story...more
Eric_W
My favorite character and wiseass, Sean Drummond, is back. Someone has offered a $100 million bounty on the president's life and just to get everyone's attention, assassinates, in his home, the Chief of Staff and his family and the Secret Service detail assigned to their protection.

Haig nicely integrates some -- what I think -- pertinent information regarding the real world. While interviewing the major general in charge of the Army CID to help locate some missing weapons (specifically a Bouncin...more
Creative A
*NOTE* review not finished

While this book reads like a *stand-alone, it is actually the latest in the Sean Drummond series by Brian Haig.

Sean Drummond is simultaneously intrigued and disinterested when the CIA sends him to "consult" on a bizarre, uber secure FBI crime scene. If that sounds convoluted, it is, and Sean makes note of that with a perfect amount of wit and sarcasm. This is the most honestly-funny book I've ever read. It is also the best thriller I've read, in like, forever. I would...more
Zach
It shouldn't work but it does.

A description of this book would reveal a series of thriller set pieces/cliche taunting killer, ticking clock against the next kill, coniving official within organization how to torpedo the hero, a cat/mouse ransom drop, a Silence of the Lambs jailhouse interrogation with a brilliant sociopath.

Other draw backs is that much of this requires a HUGE suspension of disbelief. For whatever reason, Haig does not really bring in his extensive military knowledge, there are...more
Leonard
Hael Villareal
Chekhov once said that if a gun appears in the first act, expect it to blow off in the fourth (act). This book reminded me to stop romanticising stories and stay with the plot. Man, I feel I was gutted out. I was rooting for the lead characters. I could have guessed how the story ended but I kept on overlooking. Son of a gun.

I just want to mention how I liked how the ending was done. The final act -- where we all came to conclusion and how the it all ends. I hope there's a continuation though i...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
With just three days to prevent the assassination of the President, Army lawyer Sean Drummond races the clock in the high-stakes countdown of his career.

Army lawyer Sean Drummond*s new posting is to the Office of Special Projects, a CIA cell that handles the most dangerous threats. When the White House Chief of Staff is found brutally murdered, there*s a note beside him promising more victims--including the President. Sean leaps into action, teaming up with a beautiful colleague to try to stop...more
Rob Smith
This story had a promising start for me. I liked the beginning and the humor knitted in the text. However as the book wore on, the endless meetings depicted and the constant reports of action that had already occurred began to wear on me. It would have been a better story if the narration had been brought to the action than more than three quarters of the book reflecting on it. It was almost like a series of flashbacks. As much as I love humor and sarcasm, even Haig’s leaning on it became to muc...more
Michelle
I tried this Brian Haig book because it popped up as a recommendation based on the Nelson DeMille books I was reading. I have always loved spy thrillers like those by Vince Flynn, but after DeMille I now require some humor to be mixed in even with action. I definitely did not expect to love a book about an Army lawyer assigned to work with CIA/Secret Service, but Sean Drummond now ranks up there with my favorite DeMille characters. I like that he is tough but still has a healthy aversion to gett...more
T. Justin
Brian Haig has rightfully been described as half Grisham and half DeMille. His military legal thrillers are one-of-a-kind, and his character, Sean Drummond (who narrates these books) is snarky, brilliant, and hilariously funny, is one of my favorite characters.

Like the aforementioned DeMille's character John Corey, in Sean Drummond, Haig creates a character who we both identify with and love.

This book itself is not only well-written, but following the character through the fast-paced, and excit...more
Captainslog
A thrilling read right down to the final e-page. First I've read from this author and I will be seeking more.

Excellent multi-dimensional characters, thoroughly believe-able plot, excellent action scenes, a gripping whodoneit and brilliant snark. I particularly loved the snark.

The descriptive scenes where Airforce One expectantly plummeted into the Manhattan skyline ...whoops, SPOILER ....sorry about that.....well had that happened I'd have liked it even more. But it didn't.

I repeat no Airforce...more
Stacielynn
was really pleased with this book. it was the audio version and the narrator was excellent. this is just a ripping good yarn, with a number or wrong turns and lots of action. i kinda guessed the denouement pretty early on, but there were enough plot twists to keep me guessing. the end was a bit of a let-down, but i am guessing there is a sequel, as it was left pretty open-ended.
Shannon
Sep 03, 2008 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense readers
Recommended to Shannon by: husband
Brian Haig remains one the the most humerous suspense writers out there. In this book, Major Sean Drmmond, on loan from the Army JAG Corps to the CIA is loaned out to the FBI in an attempt to catch a group of vicious murderers who claim they will kill the president within 48 hours. This announcement comes when it is discovered the the White House Chief of Staff, his wife, and their selective service body guards are all found brutally murdered. Thus begins the wild ride of trying to stop these cr...more
Gary Stewart
This is a very interesting read. It may even be fairly correct about the relationship of the Military, CIA, FBI and the White House. It seems quite plausible and is mixed in nicely with the plot. I did not find this as good as Haig's latest novel, The Private Sector, because the protagonist, Sean Drummond is a true wisenheimer of the highest order. It can range from funny to over the line and about 1/4 of the book is his supercilious wise cracks. The comings and goings of new ideas and unexpecte...more
Kay Miller
I love the Sean Drummond character series by Brian Haig. I think there are six of them. Sean is a JAG lawyer for "special circumstances" so he only handles special cases. His character is funny and stubborn, but usually does the right thing. He also has a way of making everybody he works with mad and is a major headache for his boss. His boss tends to lend him out to other agencies as much as possible just to get rid of him. If you love books about lawyers and their cases you will love these boo...more
Rosanne
This is my favorite Sean Drummond novel. This book has a novel plot and a very good bad guy. In the previous Brian Haig novels I have read, Sean Drummond's personality was almost a character. It gets boring to read about an adult man who is sarcastic, a know-it-all, needs no one to do his job, except of course, the beautiful and very smart woman who of course wants to jump into bed with him. In this book one of these traits gets him into big trouble. I applaud the author.
Terry Koressel
I like Brian Haig....he is a good writer. The plot was engaging. Years ago I would have really enjoyed the book. I think I am getting bored with the sub-sub-genre....the political or spy thriller with the irreverent hero and the inevitable involvement with a beautiful fearless woman who always seems to stumble into the story. This base plot is so incredibly common and redundant. That is one of the refreshing qualities of Tom Clancy and Martin Cruz Smith, for example.
Susan
Someone is killing off the people around the president. And has offered $100 million bounty for killing the president himself. The premise is good but the telling of the story is even better. I had never heard of this author before but it turns out that this is apparently the 5th in a series featuring Sean Drummond - a former Army lawyer. And the author is the son of Alexander Haig. Now I need to catch up on the other 4 books he's written!
Barbara
I really enjoy reading books set in the DC area. That, combined with the low price on the eBook store were the main reasons I bought this book. But it was a great read. Fast-paced and exciting. I think the entire book only takes place over 48 or 72 hours. This book is one of the more recent from Brian Haig following the main character Sean Drummond. And of course, I want to read the rest of the series at some point.
Roger
Yes, it's a thriller, and yes, it's by the son of Alexander Haig, an author who had a career in government before taking up writing. It's the first work by him I've read, because it was recommended by a family member, and now I'll read everything else by him. Hey, a reader can't stick with Don Quixote forever, you know? Bet that if you read two pages of this one, you'll read it all. Consider yourself warned! I read it in one day.
Tom
Once again Sean does not get the girl although this is one he is much better off without. We do find that he gets the girl from the previous story in this book. Problem is he lives in DC and she is in Boston. Long distance relationships?? Hey when the prize is worth it than you make it work. So now he has solved crimes within the Army, the private sector and for the CIA - what could be in store for me in the last story?
Brian
I liked this book a lot. I wasn't able to figure out exactly what the final twist of the story was going to be until the story told me. I was completely shocked. The feeling of shock was quickly followed by the feeling that I should have seen it coming. I thought this was a stand alone book but I guess there is an entire Sean Drummond series. I'll try to check the rest of them out of the library at some point.
Marcy
In this fifth in the series, JAG Attorney Sean Drummond is assigned to a CIA special projects office. Someone is killing Washington officials and has threatened to kill the President. A suspect is identified and then the plot twists and turns. I love this series - good storylines with interesting characters and a protagonist reminiscent of Nelson DeMille's John Corey, another favorite.
Tstultz69
I didn't know Brian Haig was the son of former Secretary of State Alexander Haig. Anyway, I loved this book. It has got to be fun to write for th main character, Drummond. I love reading all his wisecracks. The book never slows down and truely keeps the pages turning. One plot twist in the end kept me form giving it 5 stars. Very enjoyable and fast read.
Jamie Lyn
Kim
This book definitely redeemed itself in the end. I do not normally like to read first person narratives and nearly gave up, until the plot started moving. It certainly did deliver in terms of unique thriller. While the characters are forgettable, I enjoy the development and personalities that they have.
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • Hades
  • The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4)
  • Fade
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Get the Munchies (A Cooking Class Mystery, #3)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency
Brian Haig is the son of former US Secretary of State Alexander Haig and has been born and bred in the American military.Since retiring from duty and has been a special advisor to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and now runs a large Helicopter company.

Series:
* Sean Drummond
More about Brian Haig...
Secret Sanction (Sean Drummond, #1) The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3) Mortal Allies (Sean Drummond, #2) Man In The Middle (Sean Drummond, #6) Private Sector (Sean Drummond, #4)