Start by marking “Desiderata” as Want to Read:
Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

Desiderata (Desiderata #1)

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  648 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Desiderata is a philosophical prose poem widely circulated during the 1960s and 1970s and (falsely) attributed to an inscription in St. Paul's Cathedral in Baltimore, Maryland, dating from 1692. Actually written by Indiana poet Max Ehrmann and copyrighted in 1927, Desiderata loses none of its importance when its origins are laid bare, remaining an important personal statem ...more
Published (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Desiderata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desiderata

Books Ring Mah Bell
Aug 03, 2009 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. En
Cathy DuPont
Aug 16, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

I have had a copy of The Desiderata in my home for many years, a gift from my mother, but was unfamiliar with the poet/philosopher, Ehrmann. He wrote the Desiderata in 1927 and it represents his philosophy which boils down to peace on earth and peace within your soul. Be kind, always. The Desiderata is the first and opening essay or prose poem of a small book of Ehrmann's poetry.

Lovely book, simply lovely. So glad
GoldenjoyBazyll
Sep 26, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I first heard about Max Ehrmann's "Desiderata" poem when at I was at a friend's house. We were sharing favorite poetry and she ran upstairs to get a framed poem that was sent to her and her husband when a relative in Norway had passed away. The family said his grandmother read the poem each night before going to bed. As I read the poem I really felt it was truly a timeless piece! While written in 1928- it is just a perfect reminder for kind and thoughtful living!

Favorite passages:
As far as possi
Suzanne
Dec 19, 2007 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every breathing body
I always think of my mom when I read this. I can hear her voice in my head, "Show mercy, Suzanne." In this world it is hard to show mercy to every fool who cuts you off on the road then flips you the bird, but it does make life easier to live. Being merciful allows me to live my life without feelings of anger and resentment at the strangers' whose stories I don't know; and according to Ehrmann "you have a right to be here."

Knowing other people can see life beyond all the bad in it is an inspirin
Diane
Mar 24, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed to read something today that reminded me that the universe is unfolding as it should. Sometimes it just doesn't seem like it is. I remembered this prayer, or poem. and found it on the internet. I needed something a little special tonight. My husband died yesterday and I feel like he sent this to me tonight.
Diane
Mar 24, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed to read something today that reminded me that the universe is unfolding as it should. My husband and best friend died yesterday, and sometimes I just don't feel like things are supposed to be the way they are. I feel like Max sent this for me to read today.
James
Aug 22, 2011 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle contemplation of the world which encourages a serene and aesthetic outlook without being naive or airy-fairy. Having said that, it sometimes borders on being twee and corny, but perhaps that's just the cynicism of the postmodern age colouring my perspective.
Michael
Aug 04, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice devotion, though marred by a couple wordings that I personally change anytime I read it. Still, considering it came from the 30s, very inspiring.

This particular edition is illustrated rather a bit too simply for my taste.
Rosie
Jan 23, 2016 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This most perfect collection of poems you could ever wish for. Picked it up from a rare bookstall on the market and read it whilst I was locked out of my house ^_^
Betty Bleen
Sep 03, 2011 Betty Bleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
The poems in this book are wonderful, very thought provoking and just beautiful. I recommend it to any poet who enjoys romanticism and philosophical views on life.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this ages ago. I have a plaque with it on the wall in my bathroom, so that I can read it while I'm getting dressed every morning. Beautiful!
Daisy
Mar 10, 2012 Daisy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps one of the most beautiful words ever woven by man. I enjoyed reading his musings for it grants me a dose of humility.
Jeana Claire
Dec 03, 2013 Jeana Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike many poets, Max Ehrmann's poetry is easily and immediately understandable. Lovely, so lovely. :)
Joy
Nov 15, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
"No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
Meagan Kristine
Jan 18, 2015 Meagan Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply amazing
Shifty
Robert Beveridge
Max Ehrmann and Marc Tauss, Desiderata: Words for Life (Scholastic, 2009)

Photographer Tauss takes poet Ehrmann's painfully waterlogged chestnut, which I have to admit I'd never read all the way through, and pairs pieces of it with different photographs. There are times when Tauss is dead-on here, and I have to admit that when I saw the first photograph (an early-morning street scene; no moving cars, but parking spaces at the sides of the road are choked with parked, empty cars) I had high hopes
Lauren White
Sep 30, 2015 Lauren White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful poem and I love everything about it. It's not about one religion. It's open-minded. It's inspiring and it's peaceful. And it's a reminder of how we can all become much more at one with the Self.
Sofia
Jun 05, 2014 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
A good friend of mine asked me to read this and I'm thankful to her for introducing this piece to me. This short poem will make you feel good about yourself and remind you of the things that really matter.
Dernica
Aug 04, 2015 Dernica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"In the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy."
Travis
Dec 30, 2015 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely poem with beautiful photography. I agree with most of its advice.

This would make a lovely graduation gift.
Marty
Jul 15, 2008 Marty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this wonderful prose poem by my ex-fiancee a few years ago. I had first discovered it many years before that. It is full of wisdom and good intention, a valuable, if simplistic, moral blueprint that we should all try to live by. As for my ex-fiancee, she was even more wonderful, and remains the most special lady in this universe or any other. I hope this proves that I am living by the Desiderata !! As it says "Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity an ...more
Luis Kalaf
Aug 02, 2015 Luis Kalaf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief, really easy to digest.
Apply ASAP to your life.
John Lee
Nov 06, 2014 John Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was given this book by a close friend when I was still a teen, and I can honestly say that I have thought about its passages many times over the years. It's a book of very few words (if you typed them all out, they would fit on a single page) but the wisdom and guidance in those words is quite powerful.

I have made decisions, important ones, during my lifetime with the words from this book consciously in my head at those moments.

Okay, enough of my opinion. Read it. And if you're lucky, it'll ha
Sally Leblanc
Jim McCagno recommended.
Sebastián
May 13, 2014 Sebastián rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so beautiful and delicate
Ciarra
Jan 05, 2014 Ciarra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, poetry
This is such a beautiful and inspirational poem. It echoes all the life lessons my mother always used to and continues to tell me. It isn't cryptic or difficult to comprehend, just raw and truthful and gentle. Really, it is just so so wonderful and everyone needs to read it, at least once.
Dayat
Jul 10, 2010 Dayat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puisi
Antara buku yang saya baca kelmarin di librari. Gabungan seni kata Ehrmann dan seni foto Tauss yang indah sekali dan saling beresonan. Di belakang buku ini terdapat testimoni dari seorang doktor yang menurutnya beliau banyak menggunakan kata-kata Desiderata di dalam kerja hariannya di klinik. Penutup buku ini bagai mengiyakan tindakan saya menghabisi waktu cuti sakit di librari.

Disyor baca!
Yasmine Alfouzan

The poem is too idealistic for me. Still beautiful to read.
If I had to replace all self-help books with one book, it'd be this.
You kind of have to be a dreamer to believe it.
Or in denial.

'You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.'

Jenette
Feb 05, 2012 Jenette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A poem written by, I believe, a young lawyer around the year 1927. A reading recommendation given to me by a friend of mine living in the U.K. who is a convert to my faith. In the poem's simple words, is a basic out-line of the gospel truth. Parts of it come a little short. However still, a very commendable reminder of how one should approach each day of their lives.
  • This Time Forever
  • Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Living with Your Heart Wide Open: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Unworthiness, Inadequacy, and Shame
  • The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • Peake's Progress: Selected Writings and Drawings
  • If It Hurts, It Isn't Love: And 365 Other Principles to Heal and Transform Your Relationships
  • Fairy Tales
  • The House Between the Worlds
  • Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1)
  • Jacob the Baker: Gentle Wisdom For a Complicated World
  • You Come Too
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • When Angels Speak of Love
Max Ehrmann (September 26, 1872 - September 9, 1945), an attorney from Indiana, was best known for writing the prose poem "Desiderata" (Latin: "things desired as essential") in 1927.

Ehrmann, who was of German descent, received a degree in English from DePauw University, followed by a degree in Philosophy from Harvard University. He then returned to his hometown of Terre Haute, Indiana to practice
More about Max Ehrmann...

Desiderata (4 books)
  • The Desiderata Of Love: A Collection of Poems for the Beloved
  • The Desiderata of Faith: A Collection of Religious Poems
  • The Desiderata of Hope: A Collection of Poems to Ease Your Way in Life

“Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love – for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you from misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.” 1154 likes
“With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.