Start by marking “Star Wars: Der Kampf des Jedi” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Der Kampf des Jedi

Star Wars: Der Kampf des Jedi (Star Wars Universe)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  9,985 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
Zwölf Jahre nach der Schlacht von Yavin, in der Luke Skywalker und die Kampfpiloten der X-Flügler-Staffel den Todesstern zerstörten, erlebt die Galaxis eine Phase relativer Ruhe. Doch das gilt nicht für alle Bürger der Neuen Republik. Als seine Frau entführt wird, quittiert Corran Horn, Jagdflieger des Renegaten-Geschwaders, den Dienst und absolviert Skywalkers Jedi-Akadem ...more
Taschenbuch, Erstausgabe, 619 pages
Published May 2001 by Heyne (first published May 1st 1998)

Adam
May 09, 2014 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I, Jedi is a strange beast. It's long, twice as long as it should be, since it includes two full story arcs. The baffling part is that the first arc is a bizarre retelling of the events of KJA's Jedi Academy Trilogy, told from the perspective of a character who didn't appear at all in the original story. I can't honestly fathom what made the editors, or even the author, think that overlap was a good idea. Corran is a mega-hero Gary Stu on par with Luke, and so in this telling, he is responsible ...more
Anne
Jul 09, 2007 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Corran Horn fans, people who didn't like the JAT
Shelves: specfic
Okay, so yes, I'm in love with Corran Horn. (My husband doesn't mind because even if Corran really existed, he knows Mirax would kick my butt if I made a move on him.)

I also am a fan of this book because it summarizes the events of the Jedi Academy Trilogy (groan) and puts them in a better and more sensible light (hooray!) (The only good thing about the JAT, in my opinion, was "The Little Lost Bantha Cub"-- which rocks.)

Not the best thing to read just entering the SWEU, maybe-- read the original
Merida
Nov 11, 2009 Merida rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, we get it, Corran Horn is kickass. But this is blatant sue-ing of an already sue character. Also, the retconning of the Jedi Academy Trilogy is distasteful and very badly done. But it does some neat things, so I wouldn't skip it.
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Feb 15, 2014 Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
This was my FIRST EVER buddy read with one of my best friends; the wonderful and amazing David Green!

photo buddyread5_zps9585950a.jpg

photo buddyread4_zps6ce3bad9.png

I realized who I was. I saw my reflection in the mirror and heard the wind call to me. I had, since before I could remember remembering, always held as the highest possible ideal a commitment to serving others. My job was to provide others shelter and shade, to be a fortress against all the cruelty and wantonness out there. Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that d
Ron
It's hard, as Stackpole attempted, to take a previously told tale (that of the early days of Luke's Jedi Academy) and tell it from a different point of view as part of a different story. Foremost, it doesn't work if readers haven't read the previous work. SW fans have read Kevin Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy or the first half of this book makes little sense. Secondly, the narrative lacks the punch of the first story as our hero is repeatedly absent or passive during critical events of the orig ...more
Crystal Starr Light
"If you cannot recognize the man in the mirror, it is time to step back and see when you stopped being yourself"
The only first-person view in the Star Wars world to date, I am rereading this one for a Star Wars book of the month club.
About two years after the Thrawn Incident, Corran Horn is still in the Rogue Squadron when he senses that his wife, Mirax Terrick, is gone. Knowing he has Jedi powers, Luke Skywalker convinces Corran that the best way to find her is to cultivate this nascent talent.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about a completely new character and his struggles to become a Jedi.
Daniel
Apr 18, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I, Jedi is another book I read when I was younger, and apparently didn't understand or remember very much of it. It's a pretty good story set in the expansive Star Wars universe, and I enjoyed my read.

It does have some flaws. While Stackpole's writing is leaps and bounds better than his writing in the X-Wing series, some of it is still wooden, stilted, or just plain unrealistic. The voice at the beginning is excellent--you get a clear idea of Corran's character. Unfortunately, that unique voice
Stephanie Rose
Nov 26, 2014 Stephanie Rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, star-wars
Dieses Buch gehört zweifellos zu den mir liebsten Star Wars-Büchern, die ich besitze, auch wenn es seine Schwächen hat. Nach gut zehn Jahren habe ich mich nun wieder einmal rangesetzt und dieses Buch zum x-ten Mal gelesen.
Leider hat man sich mit der Übersetzung/Lektorierung hier keinerlei Mühe gegeben, denn das Buch strotzt nur so vor Fehlern. Falsche Buchstaben, fehlende Buchstaben, Zeitfehler.
Von einem großen Verlag wie Heyne erwarte ich da doch etwas mehr …
Trotz allem habe ich dieses Buch seh
Josephine
Dec 29, 2014 Josephine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not entirely sure why people like this book? I found the pace unbearably slow, the writing sub par and the plot very dull. It's mostly just rambling and wandering with the main problem of the story conveniently pushed to the side until the last fifty or so pages where the action really gets going. This book could really be cut in half, or even less. The unwitting Force-sensitive trope is overused to death in Star Wars, and this is just another example. The character to me comes across as rat ...more
Kyle Edworthy
Aug 12, 2008 Kyle Edworthy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books I've ever read and not been able to finish. It seems to me this story suffers from a case of main character syndrome, where the main character is able to overcome any adversity with ease and places him so far above any other character in the literary universe of Star Wars that nothing can ever come close to him. I read through the first half of the book and found that I had no intrest in continuing on.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Thoroughly enjoyed my very first buddy read with one of my dearest friends, the lovely and talented Branwen! :D Full review to come!
Jocelyn
Dec 11, 2013 Jocelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Based solely on plot, I thought this book had potential. The general idea was well thought-out and the events in the story exciting. However, none of that could redeem the terrible characterization--I spent a portion of my middle school years reading fanfiction and the main character, Corran/Keiran reeks of self-insert Sue.

Where do I begin? Perhaps the fact that Stackpole finds the need to make Corran the special one. Super rare energy-absorbing Jedi abilities? Check. Special silver lightsaber t
Charity
Apr 22, 2011 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans, sci-fi fans
Recommended to Charity by: Crystal Starr Light
This is definitely my favorite out of the four Star Wars novels I have read. I had read the Thrawn Triology by Timothy Zahn and even though the storyline was good, I didn't like the writing. That was the case with this book. I really liked how the story was told in first person because it really made Corran more realistic. I really liked Corran as a character and am going to look into more books with him in it. I actually liked him better than Luke Skywalker.

I really enjoyed this book and when I
Joseph
Sep 08, 2008 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
A solid 3 or 3.5. The book is very long in paperback, something like 579 or something. It is in 1st person (no idea why) of one of Luke's Jedi apprentices from the trilogy The Jedi Academy, which really wasn't that great...but his version is actually better then the other 3 books. This book is about how this guy's wife is kidnapped and his quest to get her back. Overall that book is pretty good and well written. There are some good action in it and I like how he takes some of the Star Wars books ...more
LOL_BOOKS
WHY DOES SW_MEME HATE I, JEDI?

BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT STACKPOLE'S SELF-INSERT THAT KNOWS SOOOOOO MUCH MOAR THAN EVERYONE ELSE AND KNOWS SO MUCH BETTER ABOUT EVERYTHING AND IS COMPLETELY FUCKING OBNOXIOUS. I APPROVE OF STACKPOLE TRYING TO FIX SOME OF THE MOAR RIDICULOUS SHIT, AND HE HAS THE PROPER VIEW OF THINGS LIKE KYP, BUT OVERALL THE BOOK IS A WANNABE PRETENTIOUS PIECE OF CRAP AND NECKBEARDS FUCKING LOVED IT.

IMAGINE THE SMUGGEST FIX-IT FIC YOU COULD. IMAGINE WRITING IN YOUR MARY SUE SMUGLY TELLING
Haley Grizzell
Feb 03, 2012 Haley Grizzell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just plain awful. I'm not a hater of science fiction, but this is such an annoying book to read. All the characters do when they are faced with a challenge is sit around and debate about what to do, never actually do something. And when they do something, all it is is moping around. Not to mention, the main character flirts with a minor character after his wife is kidnapped.
Steven
Feb 27, 2012 Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how anyone can think this was a good book. Sure the writing was ok but the author knows nothing of the star wars universe. Who knew you could become a jedi in a matter of weeks and then portray Luke as an incompetent idiot. Convinced me to never read a book by this author ever again.
Timothy
Feb 23, 2012 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, star-wars
One of all time favorite star wars books written by my favorite battletech aithor's.
Jacqueline O.
Megan
Jan 09, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't play around with this one. I believe right here, this book is the greatest Star Wars novel ever written, and Michael A. Stackpole carried it off. One of the last realcanon novels set in the New Republic before the prequels came out, it is absolutely unique as the only first person Star Wars book. And while I normally detest first person as a form of lazy writing, this is one novel where it elevates and enhances the plot.

With your patience, one last stylistic detail before I move on to th
Brian Allen
I love this book!

Taking place during the events depicted in the books Dark Apprentice and Champions of the Force, Corran Horn must save his wife, while accepting his Jedi heritage and overcoming the darkside.
Christopher
Mar 20, 2017 Christopher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
An experimental novel in the Legends EU for two reasons: use of first person (part of the play with the title I, Jedi), and the shadow retelling of the Jedi Academy trilogy by a character who wasn’t explicitly stated as being present during those novels. Those experimental gimmicks may be the most exciting part of the novel – the concept over the execution, which is two story arcs feebly fused together, neither compelling enough to make their own novel, and when mashed together they almost work.
Stephanie
May 06, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans, Michael Stackpole fans, Corran Horn fans
Shelves: star-wars
This book, besides everything else, is a stunning example of what the Expanded Universe novelists could do if they paid attention to each other and worked not only to make a good story but make a good story that complements the rest of the EU stories.
Michael Stackpole, the author, is mostly known for his novels in the X-Wing series. I, Jedi manages to combine the awesomeness of those books, along with a lot of Jedi mumbo-jumbo (I say this affectionately), a rescue mission, a character journey, a
Paul Crider
The story overall is good but the dialogue is unconvincing. I also didn't like how Luke was portrayed as kind of an ineffective wuss for most of his parts in the book.
Colin McEvoy
Jan 25, 2017 Colin McEvoy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Star Wars novels are my guilty pleasure reading, so of course I don’t expect great literature from them. But, to be quite frank, Michael A. Stackpole is probably my least favorite Star Wars novelist. His dialogue his poor, his exposition over-explains everything, he tends to “tell” when he should “show,” and he overuses references to the original films. (Yes, Michael, I know Han Solo said “Never show me the odds” in the movie, but that doesn’t mean every Corellian character has to constantly say ...more
Wynter Adelle
May 05, 2011 Wynter Adelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I Jedi” by Michael Stackpole is a very unique Star Wars book. It was the first book to be written with a completely book-exclusive main character (he was never mentioned in any of the films). Also, this is the first and so far only Star Wars book to be written from a first person perspective.

The book parallels the timeline of the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Indeed, several events are the same, only told from Corran Horn’s perspective, like the battle with the ancient Sith Lord on Exar Kuun on Yavin 4
Flavio Verna
Jan 16, 2017 Flavio Verna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is a recurring theme for Stackpole to take reknown, epic characters and clumsily put them in mundane or otherwise anti-climatic situations, while siding them with his self-insert fanfictiony original rejects.
He is even aware of this, given his statements in some of his old interviews, and, for some reason, he thinks it to be a great quality.

It might be that it's because I've read this book years after its publication, so I have no real nostalgia clouding my perceptions, but then again, I've
Michael
Sep 29, 2013 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I recently started re-reading the X-wing series, and included I, Jedi in this endeavor, as it fits neatly into the X-wing universe. Years ago, when I first read I, Jedi, I loved it; it was a breath of fresh air in the polluted literature-scape of Star Wars novels. I was excited to see if it held up to scrutiny years later.

For the most part, it does. At the time, I, Jedi was the only Star Wars novel written in the first person (I haven't kept up with the Star Wars universe, so that may still be
Mark Oppenlander
Corran Horn is a former member of the Corellian Security force and a decorated member of Rogue Squadron. When his wife Mirax disappears suddenly and he can no longer feel her presence in the Force, he decides that the only way to find her is to call upon his own latent Force potential and become a Jedi Knight.

This is longer than the average EU novel and that it is because it is really two books. The first half of the novel focuses on Horn traveling to Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy to be trained
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Survivor's Quest (Star Wars)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest
  • Knight Errant
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)

“Life itself was hard enough without monosynaptic sociopaths preying on folks.” 24 likes
“If you can't recognize the man in the mirror, it is time to step back and see when you stopped being yourself.” 5 likes