Start by marking “Whack 'N' Roll (Bunco Babes Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whack 'N' Roll (Bunco Babes Mystery, #1)

Whack 'N' Roll (Kate McCall Mystery #1)

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The Bunco Babes are not your average retires ...

When not rolling the bones, they like to throw themselves into a juicy mystery.

But murder can be a dicey business ....

The sixty-ish set at Serenity Cove Estates in South Carolina certainly knows how to keep active. When not playing Bunco or putting the greens, they are gossiping-and partying. So it's no surprise that when K
Published August 4th 2009 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Whack 'N' Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whack 'N' Roll

Lisa Kay
Great book. I didn't want it to end. Luckily, there are more in the series. ...more
Nola Arganbright
Apr 18, 2015 Nola Arganbright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The first of the Bunco Babes Mystery series.
The ladies of the Bunco Babes group of Serenity Cove Estates, a community for active retirees, are expanding to the golf course in this book. Kate and her fellow Babes just seem to find trouble. When golfing they come across part dismembered body.
Kate reluctantly hands over the investigation to the sheriff but can't help but want to get involved when they find that some of their friends are missing and no one knows where they are.
I enjoy this group
Peggy
Feb 05, 2016 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate McCall book 1

I usually like Gail Oust's books. This being a first in a series,I really looked forward to meeting new characters.
The characters I liked,but even before halfway through the book,I'd figured out who the murderer was,well at least half of couple that murdered Rosalie.
Kate McCall and her bunco group,calls themselves the Bunco Babes. While on a golf outing they find a dismembered arm in a Wal-Mart bag and decide to do their own investigation. Turns out the arm belongs to one of t
Courtney Johnson
Jan 21, 2016 Courtney Johnson rated it it was ok
This was such a cheesy book, which I kind of expected based on the title and the plot. Basically it's a bunch of old ladies who play bunco together and are trying to solve a murder. I kept wanting to slap the main character because she was being so stupid. She was following the sheriff around and snooping around where she shouldn't have been. This almost got her killed in the end but Bill came and saved her. Overall, this was a fun and cheesy read but one I definitely would not be reading again.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jun 27, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this group of characters that have bonded together and support each other while the main sleuth, Kate goes off determined to find out what happened to one of their own.

This was my first introduction to the social game known as Bunco. What a nice gathering to mainly socialize with each other. I wouldn't mind joining a like group.

When a substitute player goes missing, the gang of ladies realize there are three women unaccunted for in their retirement community. Then, a golf foursome find
Ronna
Sep 20, 2012 Ronna rated it liked it
Kate and her group of Bunco Babes enjoy an active life in the retirement community of Serenity Cove, SC. Their weekly Bunco dice game, shopping, and golf keep these ladies enjoying life. They are also great fans of the CSI TV show, but when they find a human arm in a Wal-Mart bag on the golf green, the forensic fun comes a little too close to home. Kate tries to 'help' the Sheriff, but he's not 'listening' to her suggestions, so Kate enlists the Bunco Babes to do some investigating themselves.

Th
Judy Iliff
Aug 20, 2009 Judy Iliff rated it it was ok
I do not enjoy leading women characters who are idiots. I don't find them funny, and I sure don't see them as doing any justice to the role of woman as independent beings. I finished this book only because I'd downloaded it to my Kindle. I won't be buying any more by this author. Perhaps the main character was suppose to be naive, but to me she was more ridiculous than intelligent. The ending was so much better than the first 3/4 of the book. There was even more development of the character than ...more
Sandra Hernandez
Feb 16, 2016 Sandra Hernandez rated it liked it
I love reading books about seniors and I was really hoping to enjoy this one. Unfortunately I just felt like it was ok. As much as I read this book and tried to get into it I just couldn't connect. I don't blame the writer I think I just was not in the mood for this book. Maybe later in life I'll come back to it or try the next book see if it gets better
Mar 14, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
Just discovered this series; the story line drags, is slow-moving thru-out the entire book...I'm hoping this is just because it's a 1st? the premise of the story and it's characters can become a "fun read" if the plot quickens.
Christine
Nov 24, 2010 Christine rated it it was ok
I'm not expecting much from this book, but I won it at Bunco, so I want to give it a try. In the first couple of pages of this mystery, the main character is golfing and is using her driver on the 120-yard par 3. My husband says the real mystery is why she is using her driver on a 120-yard par 3. Funny husband!

OK, this was definately not great literature, but I enjoyed it more than I thought. Having said that though, I would't recommend it to anyone. There really isn't any character depth. The p
VJ
Jul 26, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Not bad. The sleuth of the story was quite interesting. She seems to have been written with a decent personality. The normal suspension of belief for the cozy genre is needed.

The murderer wasn't immediately apparent. There are a few red herrings (all of which I were cheering for them to be found innocent!), but you kinda get the feeling that the perp will end up being the perp. I guessed it, but not immediately. I figured it out about halfway through, but was kept second-guessing until nearly th
Debra
May 25, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it
Cute cozy set in a retirement community in South Carolina. Lots of misdirection. A fun read, good beginning to a new series.
Melanie Smith
Mar 15, 2012 Melanie Smith rated it really liked it
I will not tell a lie. I have passed up this book a couple of times and thought "anh, maybe later." Well, later finally came and I really enjoyed this first book of a series. I have even gotten the other two.
I love the characters and the storyline is good. I hope that I have a place to live like this when I retire. I usually do not go for books with more than 3 or 4 characters, I tend to not be able to keep them straight, but each character is so unique, that you "bond" with each one. This book
Carol
Dec 08, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
The first book in a series about an "older" widow, Kate McCall, who lives in a retirement community in South Carolina who find a dismembered arm on the golf course as she and her friends are playing golf. And so starts the figuring out of who the arm belongs to and who was the killer. Kate has 3 friends who are 'missing' and she and her friends try to locate where they are and if they are OK, one of them is not!!And is the killer the new man in her life??? This is a low key mystery with no langu ...more
Ellen Root
Feb 22, 2016 Ellen Root rated it it was ok
Very light reading. Women who golf and play bunco will be amused.
Jean Kovats
Jun 25, 2016 Jean Kovats rated it really liked it
Kate's conceit is very annoying but the story is fun
Diana Thacker
Jan 24, 2016 Diana Thacker rated it it was amazing
Great Series!!!
Susan
Nov 16, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Twelve ladies--some retired--play the innocuous game of Bunco regularly. When a foursome of them, including widowed Ohioan Kate McCall, find a severed body part in the rough, Kate--a big fan of televised crime--gets involved with investigating on her own. She's especially worried because several of her friends seem to be missing, not to mention the friendly waitress at the local cafe. Despite repeated warnings from the stern local sheriff, Kate manages to get herself into big trouble.
ChrisGA
Dec 05, 2015 ChrisGA rated it it was amazing
This is an enjoyable cozy mystery with a lively, active 60+ heroine, Kate, who defies the label of little old lady as she sets out with her Tools of the Trade detective kit to solve the disappearance of several of her friends and the murder of the body that belongs to the arm she uncovered on the golf course. She is aided by her fellow Bunco Babes. Kate is a combination clever and incurably naïve amateur sleuth, but this adds to the fun of the book.
Anne-marie
Jan 09, 2014 Anne-marie rated it really liked it
This is hilarious so far. A group of friends who play bunco, were golfing one day and find a body part in a bag in the rough: an arm. One asks who it could belong to and one of the ladies says they will look for the person walking lopsided. Can't wait to finish this.
Marge
Sep 29, 2015 Marge rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2015
The start of a really good mystery series starring Kate McCall and all of her girl friends who play Bunco, and assist her solving crimes. These Babes are not your average retirees!!
Lisa Hodgson
Feb 10, 2012 Lisa Hodgson rated it liked it
You have to suspend disbelief when rating a book like this. It's a light, cozy mystery, not necessarily meant to have a tight or extremely plausible plot. My rating is based purely on entertainment value. Kate is a very funny narrator.
Kim
Jun 18, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
I found this book browsing the library shelves, and it was a great find. I enjoy the community of women, and the comparisons of north and south living. I look forward to the others in the series.
Jackie
Jul 19, 2015 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Fun read. Kept you guessing the whole time and great characters that you definitely will make you continue the series. Can't wait to read her next one
Tera Marie
Jan 22, 2011 Tera Marie rated it liked it
Cute murder mystery with a bunco-playing retiree as the busybody protagonist set on solving the case.
Erin
Apr 12, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoyed the story. I hated the main character. Even some of her friends grated on my nerves.
Kathy Warren
Loved the Bunco Babes. Cute fast paced tea mystery. Can't wait for the next book.
Mendy
Sep 27, 2009 Mendy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2009
This one felt like an annoying woman interfering in police business
Shoshana
Sep 15, 2009 Shoshana rated it did not like it
I have pretty low standards for mysteries, but this was just bad.
Deb
Feb 02, 2013 Deb rated it it was ok
Not very exciting. An old version of Nancy Drew I guess.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Innkeeping with Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #1)
  • Roots of Murder (Bretta Solomon, #1)
  • Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Golden Malicious (Orchard, #7)
  • Well Bred and Dead (A High Society Mystery, #1)
  • Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Groomed For Murder (Pet Boutique #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Tempest in a Teapot (Teapot Collector Mystery, #1)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)
  • The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald, #1)

Kate McCall Mystery (3 books)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • Shake, Murder, and Roll (Bunco Babes Mystery, #3)