Start by marking “Finn Throws a Fit” as Want to Read:
Finn Throws a Fit

Finn Throws a Fit

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  329 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Who among us hasn't encountered that force of nature called "a fit"? A best-selling author and illustrator depict a toddler’s tantrum in all its horror and hilarity.

Finn likes peaches. Usually. But not today. Today Finn doesn’t like
anything. Uh-oh. Is Finn going to throw a fit? Author David Elliott
directs the event with wit, warmth, and appropriate wariness, while
illustrat
Published August 25th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Finn Throws a Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finn Throws a Fit

Amy
Aug 08, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Lili
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece, nephew, and I read Finn Thows a Fit this afternoon, and I was really surprised that they weren't more engaged by this book. My nephew told me that he likes longer books, but this one wasn't very long. Well, just because Finn's fit was shorter than his fits tend to be....

I really think that adults are more likely to be the ones who get enjoyment out of Finn Throws a Fit. No adult who has been in the vicinity of a childing pitching a tantrum would argue with the notion that tantrums rese
Heidi
I think this is more a book for parents than children. Written and illustrated by two dads who know what it's like when their child throws a fit, you can see the humor, stress, despair, and frustration that every parent feels at some point in their child's fit (before, during, AND after). Very well illustrated. But what a child will get out of it, I'm not sure. Unless they're older and they take care of their younger siblings or baby-sit. Even so, my first recommendation would be to adults. Part ...more
MissDziura
Feb 22, 2010 MissDziura rated it liked it
I found David Elliott's book, Finn Throws a Fit, to be a delightful story for younger readers, and readers who are young at heart. The most realistic part of the story is that Finn, a toddler, decides one day he does not want to eat peaches and as a result throws a fit. The extent of his fit is seen through the eyes of different natural disasters such as tornados and floods. His fit rages on, and his parents and little dog barely survive but by the end he stops as quickly as he starts and does n ...more
Shannon
Jun 23, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Finn's not havin' a good day in this devilishly funny book. When Finn throws a fit, the house floods when he cries, when he screams it's an avalanche, kicks it's an earthquake, and so on. Will strike a note with any fit-throwin kid (and their long-suffering parents/caretakers). I love the scribbly storm cloud above his head!

P.S. if you like this book, you might also like "Big Rabbit's Bad Mood" by Ramona Badescu

Matthew
Oct 29, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: samuel-count
This book had potential to be something great. The idea was there but the illustration is a little lacking and the author didn't deliver. Not only did the book flow, but when there was a theme to the madness, it was lost on the next page by a different theme that had potential if the author stuck with it. The message was also lost in the mix by the author not tying up or giving a hint as to the reason why Finn threw a fit.

Yes, I know. There are times that our children have no reason apparent to
Jackie
Oct 08, 2009 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
Temper tantrums exaggerated (sort of) and gigantic are what Finn throws when he is offered peaches (usually one of his favorite foods, but not today). Finn doesn't like anything today...a story any parent can relate to, filled with humorous and head-nodding illustrations.
Julie
I was skeptical when I read this to myself at work. I thought, "This is awfully dramatic. Won't my children be scared if I tell them tantrums can result in floods and storms?" I wasn't sure if they'd get the metaphor.
Then I went home to my own Finn, who was in a monster mood. He threw a terrific and very dramatic, very long fit. So I joined him on the floor and told him about this book I read. "In this book, there's a boy named Finn, just like you. He is so mad. So super mad that he yells and h
Bree
Oct 11, 2011 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, 50-11
In just a few sentences, along with emotive illustrations, the ultimate tantrum is captured—which I understand other people's children have. (I certainly have never experienced such a thing.) The ending was perfect.

Annalise Michael
Feb 01, 2013 Annalise Michael rated it it was amazing
Finn likes peaches usually, but on this day Finn didn't like anything... so he threw a fit. The fit was a huge fit that caused thunder, lightening, rain, and even an earthquake! This fit went on and on until finally he forgot why he was so upset in the first place. He remember that he likes peaches, and asks his parents for some. I really enjoyed this book and loved the illustrations. The story is simple for readers to follow along, and it is a situation that all parents and children can relate ...more
Courtney Miles
Sep 17, 2012 Courtney Miles rated it really liked it
I found this to be a very enjoyable and humorous read. Elliot tells the story of a little boy, Finn, who doesn't want the peaches his mom wants to give him so he throws a fit. Elliot uses wonderful descriptions to compare how the fit was like a blizzard and a storm in the kitchen. Eventually Finn stops throwing a fit and he decides he now wants the peaches.
This is a humorous story that I would recommend for anyone age three and older to read. I would definitely use this book as a read aloud bec
Julie
Nov 07, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Describes the overwhelming nature of a child's tantrum - for child and parents alike - in terms of natural forces, such as floods, snow, hurricane, etc. Using humour, it shows the tantrum to its end and beyond, disappearing as if it had never happened. I found this a reassuring book for parents and child. All survive the tantrum, living to face another day, still loving each other.
If only I found it this easy to laugh at tantrums when they happen in my own life!
Jasmine Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 Jasmine Bowman rated it really liked it
I put this book under contemporary fiction because I thought that the story was something that could apply to the lives of many of my students. This would be a great book to read in a class of Pre-K-2nd graders. I would read this book to my class if there was a lot of children in the class who has trouble with behaving correctly and threw a lot of fits. This book could help to make the behavior better in the classroom.
Millie Simonds
Nov 06, 2015 Millie Simonds rated it really liked it
Rachel Pence
The book Finn Throws a Fit by David Elliott is a realistic storyline about an average toddler having a tantrum. "Finn likes peaches. Usually. But today. Finn doesn't like peaches. Today, Finn doesn't like anything." The story is about a young boy "Finn" that is throwing a fit over peaches. You see through out the book that the parents are trying everything they can to get their son to calm down, but nothing seems to work. The expressions used goes along with the books illustrations very well. As ...more
Traci Bold
May 25, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
No human can throw fits better than a toddler. Finn does one better, he throws a raging, hurricane force temper tantrum. Look out world.

The mystery is what causes the fit in the first place.

David Elliott captures the essence of toddler times perfectly. Timothy Basil Ering delights with his illustrations.

Published by Candlewick Press.
Lynne
Finn is cranky. He's in a very bad mood. Finn throws a fit - not just a fit but what I would call a Royal Fit! This is a great story that will have little ones giggling as Finn throws his fit to disastrous results. It would also be a great read aloud for older kids as you introduce the idea of exaggeration or hyperbole. Fun, fun book
Rebekah
Sep 21, 2013 Rebekah rated it really liked it
A young child name Finn doesn't want his peaches. He throws a huge fit and each of his actions are accompanied by some sort of weather phenomenon like thunder or a hurricane. With only a few words on each page, the illustrations are the main focus. The expressions on their face are very noticeable and the illustrations take over the entire page. I would read this book in my classroom in a weather lesson. I could have the students get into groups and choose one of the weather topics brought up in ...more
Courtney
Oct 03, 2011 Courtney rated it liked it
This is a good book to read to teach manners, and what not to do to get what one wants. This would be a book for Kindergarten. The illustrations make Finn, the boy who is the main character of the story , makes him kind of look like Humpty Dumpty and very cartoonish. This book is about a little boy named Finn who throws a fit, because he does not want to eat his peaches, and throws a fit that basically destroys the whole house. I thought it was a cute book, but you would definitely have to talk ...more
Jenn Swanson
Nov 13, 2014 Jenn Swanson rated it liked it
Tried reading this to my daughter but she wasn't interested. Maybe this is more for parents because I enjoyed and could relate to it. Also, liked the illustrations.
Harvey Harvey
Sep 06, 2015 Harvey Harvey rated it really liked it
A great discussion book to read to a child who struggles with fits - it gives great examples of how the fits affect the rest of the family.
Matt Forrest
Nov 06, 2014 Matt Forrest rated it really liked it
Sparsely written, energetically illustrated, a hoot to read...my 3-year-old memorized the entire book, he loved it so much!
Amy Baric
This story is simple and may not seem to be the most profound, but I think that everyone can relate to feeling powerless at the hands of a small child. Although children may not have experience caring for small children, they will understand the humor, shock, and frustration that can come from caring for small children. I think that this book could give perspective to children on what it can feel like to be their parents. Even as a college student, I do not fully appreciate all my mom does for ...more
Michelle
Aug 12, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of books about kids throwing tantrums. Or sketchy art.
Whitney Rachel
May 02, 2014 Whitney Rachel rated it it was amazing
love it.
great vocab.
AMAZING illustrations.
just yes.
Kari Patrick
Mar 29, 2016 Kari Patrick rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!
Annalee
Feb 16, 2015 Annalee rated it really liked it
Fun for teaching hyperbole.
Yolanda
Jul 25, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and beautifully illustrated.
Erin
Sep 15, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great artwork!
Ruhama
Mar 10, 2010 Ruhama rated it it was ok
Finn is having a bad moment, and his parents feel the wrath of his storm of emotions. Thunder, a blizzard and earthquakes only begin to describe the effects wreaked by the toddler. And, just like that, his tantrum ends and all is well again. Though the use of weather and natural disasters is an interesting concept, the overall feel of this book is tired: the concept, the art style and the denouement have all been done before. It's well done, but a secondary purchase.
Romelle
Finn throws a thunderous tantrum. The family weathers the storm until he calms in this simple, yet humorous story about the realities of tantrums. It's the simplicity of the story with its wonderful word choice that gives readers full experience of Finn's emotion and takes the tantrum to another level. Experience the tantrum like no other.

Author David Elliott did a wonderful job at bringing life to a simple premise.
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Put It On the List!
  • Hopper and Wilson
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • Hook
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...