Finn Throws a Fit

Finn Throws a Fit

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Who among us hasn't encountered that force of nature called "a fit"? A best-selling author and illustrator depict a toddler’s tantrum in all its horror and hilarity.

Finn likes peaches. Usually. But not today. Today Finn doesn’t like
anything. Uh-oh. Is Finn going to throw a fit? Author David Elliott
directs the event with wit, warmth, and appropriate wariness, while
illustrat...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Finn Throws a Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finn Throws a Fit

Amy
Aug 08, 2012 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: Lili
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece, nephew, and I read Finn Thows a Fit this afternoon, and I was really surprised that they weren't more engaged by this book. My nephew told me that he likes longer books, but this one wasn't very long. Well, just because Finn's fit was shorter than his fits tend to be....

I really think that adults are more likely to be the ones who get enjoyment out of Finn Throws a Fit. No adult who has been in the vicinity of a childing pitching a tantrum would argue with the notion that tantrums rese...more
Heidi
I think this is more a book for parents than children. Written and illustrated by two dads who know what it's like when their child throws a fit, you can see the humor, stress, despair, and frustration that every parent feels at some point in their child's fit (before, during, AND after). Very well illustrated. But what a child will get out of it, I'm not sure. Unless they're older and they take care of their younger siblings or baby-sit. Even so, my first recommendation would be to adults. Part...more
MissDziura
I found David Elliott's book, Finn Throws a Fit, to be a delightful story for younger readers, and readers who are young at heart. The most realistic part of the story is that Finn, a toddler, decides one day he does not want to eat peaches and as a result throws a fit. The extent of his fit is seen through the eyes of different natural disasters such as tornados and floods. His fit rages on, and his parents and little dog barely survive but by the end he stops as quickly as he starts and does n...more
Shannon
Finn's not havin' a good day in this devilishly funny book. When Finn throws a fit, the house floods when he cries, when he screams it's an avalanche, kicks it's an earthquake, and so on. Will strike a note with any fit-throwin kid (and their long-suffering parents/caretakers). I love the scribbly storm cloud above his head!

P.S. if you like this book, you might also like "Big Rabbit's Bad Mood" by Ramona Badescu

Jackie
Temper tantrums exaggerated (sort of) and gigantic are what Finn throws when he is offered peaches (usually one of his favorite foods, but not today). Finn doesn't like anything today...a story any parent can relate to, filled with humorous and head-nodding illustrations.
Bree
In just a few sentences, along with emotive illustrations, the ultimate tantrum is captured—which I understand other people's children have. (I certainly have never experienced such a thing.) The ending was perfect.

Annalise Michael
Finn likes peaches usually, but on this day Finn didn't like anything... so he threw a fit. The fit was a huge fit that caused thunder, lightening, rain, and even an earthquake! This fit went on and on until finally he forgot why he was so upset in the first place. He remember that he likes peaches, and asks his parents for some. I really enjoyed this book and loved the illustrations. The story is simple for readers to follow along, and it is a situation that all parents and children can relate...more
Courtney Miles
I found this to be a very enjoyable and humorous read. Elliot tells the story of a little boy, Finn, who doesn't want the peaches his mom wants to give him so he throws a fit. Elliot uses wonderful descriptions to compare how the fit was like a blizzard and a storm in the kitchen. Eventually Finn stops throwing a fit and he decides he now wants the peaches.
This is a humorous story that I would recommend for anyone age three and older to read. I would definitely use this book as a read aloud bec...more
Rachel Pence
The book Finn Throws a Fit by David Elliott is a realistic storyline about an average toddler having a tantrum. "Finn likes peaches. Usually. But today. Finn doesn't like peaches. Today, Finn doesn't like anything." The story is about a young boy "Finn" that is throwing a fit over peaches. You see through out the book that the parents are trying everything they can to get their son to calm down, but nothing seems to work. The expressions used goes along with the books illustrations very well. As...more
Lynne
Finn is cranky. He's in a very bad mood. Finn throws a fit - not just a fit but what I would call a Royal Fit! This is a great story that will have little ones giggling as Finn throws his fit to disastrous results. It would also be a great read aloud for older kids as you introduce the idea of exaggeration or hyperbole. Fun, fun book
Rebekah
A young child name Finn doesn't want his peaches. He throws a huge fit and each of his actions are accompanied by some sort of weather phenomenon like thunder or a hurricane. With only a few words on each page, the illustrations are the main focus. The expressions on their face are very noticeable and the illustrations take over the entire page. I would read this book in my classroom in a weather lesson. I could have the students get into groups and choose one of the weather topics brought up in...more
Courtney
This is a good book to read to teach manners, and what not to do to get what one wants. This would be a book for Kindergarten. The illustrations make Finn, the boy who is the main character of the story , makes him kind of look like Humpty Dumpty and very cartoonish. This book is about a little boy named Finn who throws a fit, because he does not want to eat his peaches, and throws a fit that basically destroys the whole house. I thought it was a cute book, but you would definitely have to talk...more
Amy Baric
This story is simple and may not seem to be the most profound, but I think that everyone can relate to feeling powerless at the hands of a small child. Although children may not have experience caring for small children, they will understand the humor, shock, and frustration that can come from caring for small children. I think that this book could give perspective to children on what it can feel like to be their parents. Even as a college student, I do not fully appreciate all my mom does for...more
Whitney Rachel
love it.
great vocab.
AMAZING illustrations.
just yes.
Ruhama
Finn is having a bad moment, and his parents feel the wrath of his storm of emotions. Thunder, a blizzard and earthquakes only begin to describe the effects wreaked by the toddler. And, just like that, his tantrum ends and all is well again. Though the use of weather and natural disasters is an interesting concept, the overall feel of this book is tired: the concept, the art style and the denouement have all been done before. It's well done, but a secondary purchase.
Shelli
David Elliott and Timothy Basil did a fantastic job telling and illustrating a young boy’s emotional day. Finn normally enjoys peaches, but for whatever reason one day he refuses to eat one. He throws the biggest fit in history; this fit is beautifully and very literally illustrated by the talented Timothy Basil. This would be a exciting story to share with your children, especially if they themselves are a touch overdramatic.
Mason
David Elliot's "Finn Throws a Fit" was a good picture story book. I thought it was fun and would be enjoyable to young readers. Although it never explains why Finn throws a fit, Timothy Basil Ering's illustrations are well done. The illustrations are simple, but big and they seem to be hand drawn. They compliment the story well. Because of the big, active pictures and few words, this book would be a good read aloud to a group.
Erica - Bonner Springs Library
I'm not sure who will enjoy this book more, the kid or the parent. A book that any parent or child-care provider will understand maybe more than the child.

Finn throws a fit and on this day the fit is lightning in the kitchen, avalanches, tidal waves through the living room, hurricanes in the dining room and blizzards in the bathroom. It's an earth-shattering fit until it ends and Finn wants his peaches.
Erica

Emmeline Guest
If you have children it is impossible not to appreciate the tale of Finn's wild avalanche causing, thunder making, lightening striking fit.

And, if you are child - you will be unable to resist the stories simple text, and wonderful illustrations of a terribly cranky Finn.

Buy this book and curl up in a chair, with your own munchkin/monster during the calm after the storm.
Graciela Gonzalez
This book is about a boy named Finn who throws a temper tantrum in every room of the house because he is feeling cranky. Although, illustration was good at exaggerating the story line, but I didn’t like that the parents looked afraid every time he throw a temper tantrum…even the dog that was outside looked afraid. The illustration is not sending a good message to our young children.
Jacqueline
Jan 28, 2011 Jacqueline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool teachers
Shelves: class-reading
This is a pretty cute book. I loved the illustrations and I thoroughly enjoyed the way the author described the turbulence of Finn's fit. This would be a great addition to a preschool or kindergarten library. One could teach some pretty solid lessons from this book, including lessons on feelings, the difference between big and small problems and others.
Dolly
Aug 31, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, pets, humor
This is a short, humorous tale about the mercurial whimsies of a toddler. I thought the story was fun to read aloud, but the illustrations were the highlight of this tale. I think that parents and older children can best appreciate the humor of this story, but younger children might like the book, too. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Just like When Sophie Gets Angry by Molly Bang, Finn Throws a Fit does an excellent job of capturing the emotions of a toddler going through a fit. The illustrations by Timothy Basil Ering are beautiful and capture the feelof the text. This is a great book to use in storytime or to read alound to young children ages PreS-K.
Dena (Batch of Books)
I laughed out loud at the end of this book! Fin is the fictional version of one of my kids. The author captured a toddler's fit in all it's glory. The illustrations are half of what make the book so great. I love them.

My blog: Books for Kids
Jane
In this juvenile picture book, finn decides he doesn't want peachers, after he throws a tantrum liken to hurricanes, floods, tornadores, blizzards and earthquakes, he settles down and asked for some peaches "please". Great visuals and allows for a discussion on dealing with anger.
Christina Bontrager
This book would be great to use when discussing anger with younger children. This book leaves room for the teacher to help students discuss what happens when they get angry, what makes them angry, and how to begin handling their emotions in a healthy way.
Bree
The illustrations are very vivid and colorful. Finn is the typical toddler with the ending being exactly what it is like to raise a 2 year old. they captured the moments or hours completely. the book was the right amount of words and page length.
Natalie Pietro
This was very appropriate to read today seeing my son did nothing but throw fits. I don't think he truly understood this book yet but he did sit in silence and listen. I think reading it a few more times will help him understand this book better.
Lauren
Utterly charming! When Finn gets upset, there's no safe place to take cover. Fun, messy illustrations perfectly complement the simple text, and a string of metaphors make this book perfect for comparing literal and figurative meaning.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Pouch!
  • Little Owl Lost
  • Put It On the List!
  • Bedtime for Mommy
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Alphabeasties and Other Amazing Types
  • More Bears!
  • He Came with the Couch
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • On My Way to the Bath
  • Dinotrux
  • Hook
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad?
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...
In the Wild In the Sea On the Farm Knitty Kitty Evangeline Mudd and the Golden-Haired Apes of the Ikkinasti Jungle