Start by marking “The Best Revenge (Bottled Up, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Best Revenge (Bottled Up, #1)

The Best Revenge (Bottled Up #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Tyler O'Connor, a successful antiques dealer, meets aspiring artist Mark Burke when Mark's mother decides to sell some of her antiques collection. Tyler is enchanted by the quiet, reserved artist and works up the courage to ask Mark to dinner. Despite the date's success and their mutual attraction, Mark's happiness takes a blow when his mother learns that he is gay and thr ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Revenge

FloJ
Mar 25, 2009 FloJ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Shelves: gay-fiction
This was OK ish. I felt as if I was reading a comic, without the added interest of some pictures. The story was reasonable, and had a lot of potential, but is written in what I can only describe as a 'Janet and John' way. The attempt at tension and intrigue just did not come off.

(" Call nine-one-one!" Tyler just held Mark's hand and waited. The architect found a furniture pad and used it as a blanket to keep Mark warm. The contractor directed the ambulance and EMT's to where Mark was lying
The
Lily
Tyler O'Connor, an antiques store owner, and Mark Burke, an aspiring artist, meet when Tyler goes to the Burke home to check out some pieces being sold by Mark's mother. There is an instant attraction between the two men and when they meet again they agree to go on a date. Unfortunately for Mark, their wonderful date is brought to his mother's attention and leads to him being thrown out of his home. With nowhere else to go Mark ends up at Tyler's home. Tyler offers Mark a place to stay until he ...more
Erythrina
Oookay. So, the story itself is quite interesting, the characters likeable, although most of them are somewhat two-dimensional (I mean, come on, nobody is only good or bad in the real life), but it was the writing that I found disturbing in several parts.

For example: Tyler returned to the bedroom with two glasses of champagne and a bowl of strawberries. Handing Mark a glass, Tyler set the bowl of strawberries on the nightstand, placed a large berry between his lips, and pressed the berry to Mark
Rossy
Aug 18, 2009 Rossy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rossy by: friends
Though the author considers this book as the first in the series, chronologically Master of the Revels is the FIRST.

No words can do this book justice, so just read it and know that Mr. Grey is an artist just like the characters in this book. You will not be disappointed, and am sure it will become one of your favorites if not one of those comfort books we all need every now and then.
I was pleasantly surprised that though the book belongs in a series it can be read individually without missing an
Jenn
You would swear this was written by a woman...a little elementary in writing style for me, not enough...something....

Cannot pinpoint exactly what. But I could have changed names and organs and it would have been a Harlequin romance...nothing wrong with that, but not what i was hoping for. Too sweet and syrupy.

I enjoy angst and melodrama as much as the next person believe me, (LOVE Cameron Dane heh) but this just missed the mark.

I will say that updating this, I have enjoyed Andrew Grey's other b
Erotic Horizon

Tyler O'Connor is proud of where he is in life – a thriving business, good friends and at a comfortable place in his life, What more could he ask for. Tyler knows what more he needs but he is neither rushed nor fussed about being alone – he is just happy for the blessing that he has had so far. Tyler is a seller of fine antiques and his days when not in the shop are following up calls of people wanting to sell him little family heirlooms and treasures.

On one such call Tyler makes the f
Nic
I decided to read this book because I wanted to read a book with nice characters and filled with gentle romance, knowing that Andrew Grey would deliver this.

This is a sweet story of Tyler, who runs an antiques shop, and Mark, an artist. This is the first book in the series and introduces a number of characters who are friends of Tyler and Mark but most of the story directly involves the couple themselves.

Tyler 'rescues' Mark when he is tossed out of home by his homophobic mother and brother. The
Ery
Ok it's official DNF time. I knew it was romantic (sappy) going in, given the author, but i thought i was in the mood for that. Well, I underestimated the cheese. That, plus the see Jane run style of writing (see most other reviews for samples) really turned me off of this book.

I've read other works by this author, and this seems to be out of character - on the writing style, not the romance- AG seems to favor the sweet and flowery type of love :) He's not off my reading list, but this book is.
Bookbee
I was so looking forward to reading Mark and Tyler's back-story after first being introduced to the characters in Bottled Up and it breaks my heart to say that I found this book disappointing. I found I was being pulled out of the story-line by the omnipresent and repetitive sex scenes. Now don't get me wrong...I love an erotic element in my books but this was too much even for me.
Sass
The story itself was good, but the writing was kind of stilted in a very 'this happened. He did this. And then he thought this' kind of way.
Elspeth
The story was good, a little rough, but good. I got bored with the sex scenes, over the top and just too many.
Wendy Ann
Sweet and easy describe this story to a T. Mark and Tyler embody the picture perfect romance – total adoration for each other, mutual respect, desire and love. It’s easy to feel it all in this story. They definitely face adversity, but they handle it by always presenting a united front and working through issues together. There is virtually no angst between these men and that’s what makes it such a light and sweet read. There’s not a lot of sexual tension, but there is a lot of sex in this book. ...more
Brandilyn
I usually love Andrew grey, but this one just fell flat for me. The characters where almost too perfect and here was no angst whatsoever. It should have been a really fast read, but I kept getting distracted by EVERYTHING. It just wasn't holding my interest at.all. I am, however, blaming it on the fact that it is one of his earlier works and will give the rest of the series a try.
Cindi
The best way to describe this book is sweet. There is a little drama, a lot of sap (that's a good thing), and a very sweet love story. Mark and Tyler are perfect. A very enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more in this series.
Gwengwel
I had the impression of reading a free fiction wrote by a teenage's girl (or gay boy) who just find what love is and what fun you can do with your body and another one and forget about realism, logic and laws.
Edina Rose
Good, but there was something missing... Grey's magic missing I think.
L-D
I read this entire series (books 1-8) before reviewing and while some books weren't as interesting as others in the series, on the whole this is my favorite Andrew Grey series so far. I felt that he did a great job tying each book into the rest of the series, without forcing too many relationships.

The first book features Tyler O'Connor, an antiques dealer, and Mark Burke, an artist. Mark and Tyler are instantly attracted to each other when Tyler comes to Marks' mother's house to purchase some an
Elisa Rolle
I tried to understand the meaning of the title, The Best Revenge, and I think it means the best revenge is to be happy even if life is not turning smiles to you.

Tyler’s love for Mark is easy and immediate: as soon as they met they understand there is something special between them, and when Mark is suddenly homeless, even if they only had one date and barely a kiss, Tyler asks Mark to move with him.

The relationship between them never falters and to be true, they find more allies than enemies, bu
Tamela

My favorite books have good characters and this had several of them. Tyler is a true treasure. Strong, warm, capable and loving, he has so many wonderful characteristics it hard to decide just what made me like him so much. I think it was because he could see Mark, I mean really see what made Mark tick and how to inspire him.

Mark was a little more difficult to read at first. He ended up so hurt so early, but he was smart enough to know that Tyler was his safe haven.

I did notice that I tended to
Drew
I had high hopes for this book. But this is this the very first book I've read by this author. I could not for the life of me get emotionally invested in these characters. I know they are fictitious people but I could not get behind the characters and there actions. Mark for instance, came off as simple minded. He had no backbone, couldn't make difficult decisions, relied to much on Tyler. And I even felt he based his self worth off of how much Tyler loved him. Another problem with the book is i ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I'm usually a lover of Andrew Grey stories, but this one fell flat for me. I didn't engage with either MC, Tyler O'Connor, antiques store owner, or Mark Burke, artist. In fact, I thought Tyler was okay, but Mark was just a wuss -- childish and immature at best.

The story moved along at a snail's pace and there was more sex in this one than in all of the other books I've ever read by him (and there are many!) combined. It started to feel like PWP. I never thought I'd ever say that about one of th
Tam
This is one of the Bottled Up books. Tyler is an antiques dealer who meets Mark when he buys some of Mark's mother's furniture. However when they are seen out on a date, Mark's mother kicks him out and he's beaten by his bully brother. He moves in with Tyler and someone starts sending threatening letters and they have to deal with the brother (and supportive sister) when Mark's mother dies and he's left as the executor of the estate. I liked both Tyler and Mark although I thought Mark cried quit ...more
momokaachan
Apr 01, 2011 momokaachan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a relaxing m-m romance
Shelves: mm, series
I upped my rating on this book to 4 from 3 because I really liked how Mr. Grey developed Mark throughout the book. It didn't get 5 stars for 2 reasons.

First, I was disappointed in Tyler's development - or lack of it. Although he was initially described as rock-solid, he seemed to kind of - wimp out maybe? - slowly.

Second, the book meandered. When I start skipping sections (whether or not they are sex scenes) I know I am not satisfied with what I am reading. Andrew Grey's works are, for the mos
Tj
I admit I bumped up the rating a little. I don't think it was a true 3 star but it wasn't horrible. I just didn't like the "perfection" of the book. The romance was too easy, the troubles smoothed over a little too lightly, life arranged a little too well, it just became rather blah.

The only other real hitch for me was the over use of the word butt. I really am not appreciative of the word in sex scenes and it was used a lot in the story. It really didn't make me feel all...sexy;)

Still I did enj
Lillyg
The plot in between sex scenes was good. The sex scenes were repetitive and boring.
Pippacon
I really struggled to finish this book and that's mostly because the characters didn't pop for me...they were so perfect...even the secondary characters were perfect and the bad guy didn't seem all that bad to begin with.. I know that Andrew Grey has written much better stories than this one.. the pacing in this book was far too rushed...the story jumped from one situation to the next without the characters seeming to take a breather ...this one was an ok read for me..I gave it just 3 stars beca ...more
Scarlett
This book was a disappointment for me. I'm usually a diehard 'Andrew Grey' fan, but this book was excessively saccharine, rushed, unrealistic and...well...to be honest really irritating. The normally in-depth characters seemed 2D, and there were plot elements (view spoiler) that seemed pointless and out of place. I had to force myself to finish this one, which is a shame - but I still adore Andrew's other books!
Mtsnow13
The premise of this series is good, but I am having a problem with the author's 'voice' for lack of better explanation.

I am hoping since I purchased the first 6 books in this series based on ratings that I will be able to be pulled in more with the characters instead of feeling like I am awkwardly watching from the sidelines.
Jolinar

I'm sorry, I very, very rarely do this but I just could not finish this book. I wanted to love it, the synopsis sounded adorable but it was terribly written which is a rarity for an Andrew Grey book.
  • The Beach House
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Letting In the Light
  • Tabloid Star (Tabloid Star, #1)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
  • Soldier (Scarcity Sanctuary, #1)
  • Good to Know (Good to Know, #1)
  • Self Preservation
  • Under My Skin (Under My Skin, #1)
  • Found (Hammer, #3)
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • Alternative Treatment

m/m romance author
More about Andrew Grey...

Bottled Up (5 books)
  • Master of the Revels (Bottled Up, #1)
  • Bottled Up (Bottled Up, #3)
  • Uncorked (Bottled Up, #4)
  • An Unexpected Vintage (Bottled Up, #5)
Love Means... No Shame (Farm, #1) Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1) A Shared Range (Range, #1) Love Means... Courage (Farm, #0.5) Love Means... No Boundaries (Farm, #2)