Start by marking “Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences” as Want to Read:
Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences

Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences

True stories of unusual happenings during the civil war.

In 1861, Wilmer McLean, distressed that a cannon ball crashed through his home during the battle of Bull Run, moved to a farm where "the sound of battle would never again reach him and his family." Almost four years later, McLean's Appomattox Court House home was used for Lee's surrender to Grant. There wasn't damage
Published October 25th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Civil War Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War Curiosities

Donovan
Dec 26, 2011 Donovan rated it really liked it
This is a great book for Civil War buffs that know a lot about all the major and minor characters,battles,politics, etc..., of the war and still want to read more. There are hundreds of unusual and, mostly, interesting facts about the war ranging from animals used to women in battle. This is not a book that you want to sit down and read in a few sittings, it's best used like an encyclopedia or other fact book where you only visit it for short periods of time. I can't give it 5 stars because ther ...more
Sue
Nov 27, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
As the sub title of the book states, this is a book of "Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences" during the Civil War. Examples include Sam and Keith Blalock who joined the 26th North Carolina Regiment telling others they were distantly related. It was many months of fighting before it was discovered that "Sam" was really Malinda, Keith's wife, who decided to go to war with her husband. Or that, 3 members of the Guillet family were killed riding the same horse as the horse was willed ...more
Christie
Dec 27, 2014 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: history, 19th-century
It is estimated that 623,000 soldiers died during the Civil War.

Civil War Curiosities examines the strange, coincidental, and downright mind-boggling events of the American Civil War. Told through short vignettes and illustrated by sketches and photographs of the time, there will be much here that even the most informed Civil War scholar can learn from.

I enjoyed this book and learned quite a bit, especially about hostage taking on both sides of the conflict which I had never really read about
Donna
Jan 14, 2016 Donna rated it liked it
For a beginning Civil War history buff, I would rate this book as "ok". It contains some interesting bits of information that you can't get anywhere else, generally organized by topic. It was easy to start and stop reading since it was organized in small chunks within a topic. On the downside, a minor aggravation was that the organizing topics were so broad it was sometimes seemed disjointed when you moved from one item within a topic to the next. More concerning, only a selected bibliography wa ...more
Debra Jeakins
Oct 08, 2014 Debra Jeakins rated it it was amazing
I've been a Civil War buff for many many moons and enjoy finding new facts and views about it. This book provided that. It's chocked full of interesting tidbits that you don't find out about unless you happen across a book like this. For example: Lincoln was shot then moved to an apartment near the theater. The very room in which he lay dying in was once used by John Wilkes Booth the man who killed him!

RJ Koch
Dec 02, 2012 RJ Koch rated it really liked it
Large print. Gave me an overview of the Civil War. divided country. Similar to today? Learning more about Lincoln since watching the Spielberg movie. Much to learn. Lots about slaves in here, much very disturbing. Why was it "strange" to be a radical like ___________ Stevens from Vermont, played by Tommy Lee Jones in the Lincoln movie. Wouldn't I have been an abolitionist back then? Why wasn't Abe? Not politically viable?
Bev Murphy
Jul 11, 2008 Bev Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book to read following "In the Presence of Mine Enemies". It covers a wide variety of interesting oddities and facts of the Civil War such as: unusual people, events, attitudes, new weapons of the time, animals involvement and many more interesting bits of trivia. An easy and fun read for you readers that like history.
Kayla Baldwin
Mar 29, 2012 Kayla Baldwin rated it liked it
I finally found some time to read and was able to finish this book. I loved how the stories were super short and made for a quick read. However, in my opinion, some of the "curiosities" were not that curious, and in fact, were a little boring for my taste. Still an interesting read overall though.
Kristen
Sep 17, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Even though this book offers many interesting stories that are great to share with students, friends, etc, I do not find it added to my knowledge of the civil war as I would have wanted. Perhaps I am more interested in longer, more fleshed out stories than quick tales. If this wasn't a gift, I wouldn't have bought it and might not have read it either.
Rikelle
Feb 05, 2009 Rikelle rated it liked it
I really enjoy reading about the civil war. This book was interesting and had lots of stories that I have never heard of. My only problem is that the author did not give enough details in each little story. Sometimes it was difficult to understand the little vignette of each story.
Chandler
Aug 10, 2011 Chandler rated it really liked it
Nice summary of the war, not so much in the facts everyone knows from textbooks, but all the misc. facts you would never hear of outside a really intense game of Trivial Pursuit. Good read for those that have read it all already concerning the war between the states.
Scott L.
Apr 23, 2012 Scott L. rated it liked it
Not a bad little book. Some interesting stories; a serious student of the American Civil War would find some of the factual errors in the book to be disconcerting. Fortunately there are not many of these, and overall the book is well-written enough to keep the reader's interest.
Michael
May 23, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Thousands of small quotes and short stories on the characters, behavior, laws, prices, pay plans of the civil war era.
Sheila Myers
Jan 14, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war
A great book for Civil War buffs who want to learn some of the lesser known facts of the war.
Cheryl
Aug 11, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, little known facts. I enjoyed this read!
Joey's
Aug 23, 2010 Joey's rated it really liked it
Decent book with lots of little known tid-bits from the civil war.
Michael Rubin
Jul 29, 2014 Michael Rubin rated it liked it
A collection of short anecdotes, this is an easy read. You can pick it up and thumb through it for something that will intrigue you.
Murray
Jan 29, 2012 Murray rated it liked it
Gift from my wife, who enjoys the odd history. I'm not sure if she knows my reading tastes. With that... it's a bit of a slow read, but good information.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 27, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
A nice read. I would read a few pages each morning to start the day with some new trivia. Gives you a lot of odd things and occurrences to think on. Recommended
Jerry
Dec 22, 2010 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the Civil War. Each chapter contains a series of small vignettes about different subjects.
Linda
Apr 16, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Interesting.
Sue Mauhar
Sue Mauhar rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Kiefer
Kiefer rated it it was ok
May 09, 2017
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Candy Crocker
Candy Crocker rated it liked it
May 18, 2011
Ron Lange
Ron Lange rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Cinnamon
Cinnamon rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
James Ruprecht
James Ruprecht rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
  • Beloved Bride: The Letters of Stonewall Jackson to His Wife
  • Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe
  • Lee The Last Years
  • Pickett's Charge
  • Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History
  • Through Blood and Fire at Gettysburg: General Joshua L. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine
  • Fighting for the Confederacy: The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander
  • A Great and Glorious Adventure: A History of the Hundred Years War and the Birth of Renaissance England
  • Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters
  • Gettysburg--The Second Day
Webb Garrison, formerly associate dean of Emory University and president of McKendree College, wrote more than 55 books. Before his death in 2000, Garrison lived in Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.
More about Webb Garrison...