Start by marking “Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences” as Want to Read:
Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences

Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  17 reviews
True stories of unusual happenings during the civil war.

In 1861, Wilmer McLean, distressed that a cannon ball crashed through his home during the battle of Bull Run, moved to a farm where "the sound of battle would never again reach him and his family." Almost four years later, McLean's Appomattox Court House home was used for Lee's surrender to Grant. There wasn't damage
Published October 27th 2000 by Rutledge Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Civil War Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War Curiosities

Donovan
This is a great book for Civil War buffs that know a lot about all the major and minor characters,battles,politics, etc..., of the war and still want to read more. There are hundreds of unusual and, mostly, interesting facts about the war ranging from animals used to women in battle. This is not a book that you want to sit down and read in a few sittings, it's best used like an encyclopedia or other fact book where you only visit it for short periods of time. I can't give it 5 stars because ther ...more
Christie
It is estimated that 623,000 soldiers died during the Civil War.

Civil War Curiosities examines the strange, coincidental, and downright mind-boggling events of the American Civil War. Told through short vignettes and illustrated by sketches and photographs of the time, there will be much here that even the most informed Civil War scholar can learn from.

I enjoyed this book and learned quite a bit, especially about hostage taking on both sides of the conflict which I had never really read about
Debra Jeakins
I've been a Civil War buff for many many moons and enjoy finding new facts and views about it. This book provided that. It's chocked full of interesting tidbits that you don't find out about unless you happen across a book like this. For example: Lincoln was shot then moved to an apartment near the theater. The very room in which he lay dying in was once used by John Wilkes Booth the man who killed him!

Michael Rubin
A collection of short anecdotes, this is an easy read. You can pick it up and thumb through it for something that will intrigue you.
Bob Koch
Large print. Gave me an overview of the Civil War. divided country. Similar to today? Learning more about Lincoln since watching the Spielberg movie. Much to learn. Lots about slaves in here, much very disturbing. Why was it "strange" to be a radical like ___________ Stevens from Vermont, played by Tommy Lee Jones in the Lincoln movie. Wouldn't I have been an abolitionist back then? Why wasn't Abe? Not politically viable?
Kristen
Even though this book offers many interesting stories that are great to share with students, friends, etc, I do not find it added to my knowledge of the civil war as I would have wanted. Perhaps I am more interested in longer, more fleshed out stories than quick tales. If this wasn't a gift, I wouldn't have bought it and might not have read it either.
Bev Murphy
This was a good book to read following "In the Presence of Mine Enemies". It covers a wide variety of interesting oddities and facts of the Civil War such as: unusual people, events, attitudes, new weapons of the time, animals involvement and many more interesting bits of trivia. An easy and fun read for you readers that like history.
Kayla Baldwin
I finally found some time to read and was able to finish this book. I loved how the stories were super short and made for a quick read. However, in my opinion, some of the "curiosities" were not that curious, and in fact, were a little boring for my taste. Still an interesting read overall though.
Scott L.
Not a bad little book. Some interesting stories; a serious student of the American Civil War would find some of the factual errors in the book to be disconcerting. Fortunately there are not many of these, and overall the book is well-written enough to keep the reader's interest.
Rikelle
I really enjoy reading about the civil war. This book was interesting and had lots of stories that I have never heard of. My only problem is that the author did not give enough details in each little story. Sometimes it was difficult to understand the little vignette of each story.
Chandler
Nice summary of the war, not so much in the facts everyone knows from textbooks, but all the misc. facts you would never hear of outside a really intense game of Trivial Pursuit. Good read for those that have read it all already concerning the war between the states.
Murray
Gift from my wife, who enjoys the odd history. I'm not sure if she knows my reading tastes. With that... it's a bit of a slow read, but good information.
Michael
Thousands of small quotes and short stories on the characters, behavior, laws, prices, pay plans of the civil war era.
Jerry
Excellent book on the Civil War. Each chapter contains a series of small vignettes about different subjects.
Joey's
Decent book with lots of little known tid-bits from the civil war.
Cheryl
Very interesting, little known facts. I enjoyed this read!
Linda
Interesting.
Jimmy
Jimmy marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Bren
Bren marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Jul 21, 2015
Max Knickerbocker
Max Knickerbocker marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Through Blood and Fire at Gettysburg: General Joshua L. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine
  • High Tide at Gettysburg
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe
  • World War I
  • Lee The Last Years
  • Beloved Bride: The Letters of Stonewall Jackson to His Wife
  • Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters
  • Gettysburg--The Second Day
  • A Great and Glorious Adventure: A History of the Hundred Years War and the Birth of Renaissance England
  • The South Was Right!
  • The Pursuit of Oblivion: A Global History of Narcotics
  • The Class of 1846: From West Point to Appomattox: Stonewall Jackson, George McClellan, and Their Brothers
  • Pickett's Charge
  • Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History
  • In the Hands of Providence: Joshua L. Chamberlain and the American Civil War
Webb Garrison, formerly associate dean of Emory University and president of McKendree College, wrote more than 55 books. Before his death in 2000, Garrison lived in Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.
More about Webb Garrison...
Brady's Civil War: A Collection of Civil War Images Photographed by Matthew Brady and his Assistants Why You Say It: The Fascinating Stories Behind Over 600 Everyday Words and Phrases Amazing Women of the Civil War: Fascinating True Stories of Women Who Made a Difference Civil War Trivia and Fact Book: Unusual and Often Overlooked Facts about America's Civil War More Civil War Curiosities: Fascinating Tales, Infamous Characters, and Strange Coincidences