Start by marking “The Main” as Want to Read:
The Main

The Main

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  840 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The Main is Montreal’s teeming underworld, where the dark streets echo with cries in a dozen languages, with the quick footsteps of thieves and the whispers of prostitutes. It is a world where violence and brutality are a way of life. To the people of the Main, police lieutenant Claude LaPointe is judge and jury, father confessor and avenging angel. Montreal’s police force ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Main, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Main

Gerard
Apr 06, 2008 Gerard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Trevanian that I love, that no one else seems to enjoy as much. Brilliant evocation of Montreal in the 1970's, and brilliant, funny, gritty writing. Also good dynamics between the crusty old veteran cop and the new-school, new generation neophyte.
Dave
Mar 27, 2007 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most complete books I've ever read. Filled with soul, sorrow, laughter, growth, life, and death.
Philippe Malzieu
Literature or thriller? With Trévanian (and some others as Chandler, Ambler...) we can ask ourselves the question. But what it is a thriller? Good question. Thus let us write a thriller. Yes we can write a thriller, but it is necessary to respect rules. We need 50 chapters. There is of more important. Between these you can put trivial things.
We need to find a theme. There is one which work well, the esotericism for example. I am nice. I give you one. Pascal was murdered. He had solved the theore
S.
May 13, 2013 S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
perpetual clouded over "pig weather" Montreal becomes the setting for an old school beat-walking police officer who 'owns' the Main, the most run-down neighborhood of Montreal unraveling the murder mystery while surrounded by the youngster runaways, Quebecois Joual-speaking street hustlers, and various political appointees harassing the man of the hood.

"#3 reviewer in Ireland points out"particularly good at teasing out the ambivalent, shifting, complex and sometimes paradoxical relationships bet
Carole
Jun 22, 2009 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Trevanian novel dealt with characters as much as with story line. The relationship between the older, more experienced, police officer and his young trainee is at the center of this murder mystery. The Main is an area in Montreal that is populated by derelicts, prostitutes, small businesspeople trying to eke out a living, and police officers trying to keep it all together. Trevanian puts the reader at the center of this place of hard-knocks. The actual murder is not solved till the last few ...more
Chuck
Jul 27, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Main" is the area that separates English and French speaking Montreal. It is a relatively poor section with Boulevard St. Laurent serving as it's backbone and includes a couple of parallel streets to it's east and west. This is a slice of life story featuring a veteran police detective whose "patch" of responsibility is "The Main." Early on in the narrative someone has the audacity to murder a man on his patch and he begins a relentless pursuit. Trevanian has few peers when it comes to char ...more
Ezgi
Nov 06, 2014 Ezgi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
www.kitapezgisi.com

Karma karışık bir kasabaya gitmeye hazır mısınız? Bu kasabada normal bir hayatı olan hiç kimseye rastlamayacaksınız. Kaldırımlarda hayat kadınları, sokaklarda dilenciler, yankesiciler, evlerde kavgalar var. Bu karamsar, iç karartıcı bir havaya sahip olan kasabanın sayfalarında bir de polis gezmekte. Ansızın bir gece ortaya çıkan bir cinayet ve bu cinayetin sonuçlanması için süre gelen bir dizi soruşturma.

İlginç bir yazar olan Trevanian bir kez daha güçlü bir ana karakter ile k
Gokhan Toka
May 20, 2016 Gokhan Toka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, crime
Kitabi E yayinlarinin 1993 tarihli ilk baskisindan okumak, ya da okumaya calismak buyuk bir zihin aktivitesi gerektiriyor. 1993 yilinda Google translate var olmus olsaydi, bu cevirinin pekala da Google translate tarafindan yapilmis oldugunu dusunebilirdik. Ancak kitap bir "kisi" tarafindan cevrilmis. Hatta goodreads sayesinde, bu kisinin adina tiklandiginda, bu isim tarafindan cevrilmis onlarca baska kitap daha oldugu goruluyor. Diger kitaplari daha sonra cevirdiyse umarim arada gecen zamanda in ...more
DT
Feb 18, 2016 DT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better cop novels I've ever read. It follows a grizzled French-Canadian police officer as he walks his beat through a rough area of Montreal. Of course there's a murder, and of course he's given a young, idealistic officer to help him try to solve it. And yes, the bureaucracy isn't helping.

But this isn't about the crime so much as the personalities, and the characters are really well-drawn. It's also about the tension between right and wrong, sin and crime, and whether it's okay to b
Deborah Laux
Sep 13, 2009 Deborah Laux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites.
Rob Kitchin
May 12, 2012 Rob Kitchin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Main is principally a character driven novel in two senses. First, it is a detailed exploration of a neighbourhood, its geography, people, dynamics and relationships. Second, it is an in-depth portrait of a man and his lifeworld, outlook and philosophy, and how he relates to those people who populate his life. Trevanian really excels at both using well constructed prose. There is real insight, understanding and perceptive psychological and philosophical observation in his writing. He’s parti ...more
Sean Higgins
May 10, 2011 Sean Higgins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sean by: myself
I really enjoyed Trevanian's "Shibumi," so I was hoping that there would be similar theme and style with "The Main." I was also hoping that the author would make Montreal a character in the way John Burdett makes Bangkok a character in his books or how New Orleans is a character in "Confederacy of Dunces." Alas I was let down in the regard.
"The Main" was really more of a character study of an old Quebecois beat cop investigating a murder while taking care of the dregs of society.
The ultimate "wh
Richard
Feb 01, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this read as I grew up in MTL, back in the 70s and thought it might be interesting. Lately I have enjoyed fiction set in places I knew. This was no exception, but it was much better than just that. The characters, scene and atmosphere of "The Main" was very strong, and all wrapped around a good story. As a result, I will look for more by Trevanian / Whitaker. 4.3
Duygu
Kitap polisiye roman olarak dusunuldugunde 4 yildizi hak ediyor ama burada Turkce cevirisini de isin icine katmak gerekir. O zaman da maalesef roman hak ettiginin altinda kaliyor. "E Yayinlari" bu konuda daha titiz olmali eger Trevanian'in eserlerini cevirmeye devam edeceklerse. Iki dil bambaska ve dil kulturuyle birlikte gelir; fakat cevirisinde yabanciligi degil asinaligi hissetmek gerekir. Ornek olarak: Turkce'de "Hey!" unlemi cok kullanilmaz, agzi bozuk biri "olasilikla" diye cumleye hic bas ...more
Pierre
Apr 16, 2016 Pierre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written, this novel caught my attention from the start. Living in Montreal, the setting (Montreal's "Main" in the 70s) is what attracted me to it but the strong characters development, and the tension through the investigation kept me wanting to read it more and more.
 don presnell
wally
Sep 15, 2010 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trevanian
read this in 2010 along w/five or six other trevanian stories. i liked this one. more so than some of the others. setting montreal, the main. section of the city, people there, cop that walks that beat figures large in the story. things happen. good story.

this one and the crazy ladies of pearl street are to-do w/characters in one small section of a larger city.

law. justice. religion. city life in this one small section. a slice of life. murder. people w/influence, people w/o.
great characters, a
Seda Işik
Şibumi'den önce okusaydım 4 yıldız verebilirdim ama Şibumi çıtayı çok yükselttiği için olmadı. Bir de çeviri gerçekten kötüydü, e yayınlarının bilgilerine..
Delyse Richards
Aug 18, 2014 Delyse Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovable Lieutenant La Pointe works the Main, a street in Montreal's underworld, and is involved in solving the murder of a young Italian man. Trevanian's amazing command of English never fails to amaze.
Jonathan Lu
Jul 31, 2013 Jonathan Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trevanian abandons Jonathan Helmock and turns away from spy action to give a personification to the slums of Montreal. After reading this you get as vivid of a feel for the character of "The Main" as you do with the "City of God" after Morientes great flick. Could replace Montreal for Queens or any other immigrant community city. Much deeper character development and profound questions about morality and human action.
David Kovner
May 18, 2015 David Kovner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written gritty cop noir from the 70's.
Joshua Mark
A good book and most certainly worth reading. If you like noir fiction you'll enjoy this piece. I liked the book and enjoyed my time with it - I just didn't like it as much as some of Trevanian's other work.
Ahf
Nov 01, 2008 Ahf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good murder mystery. Lots of character development and interesting motivations. Based in Montreal. I'd like to read other books by this author.
Ayelet Waldman
Mar 03, 2013 Ayelet Waldman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is commercial fiction??? Every serious novelist should strive for this kind of layered and nuanced detail. I can't believe I've never read him before.
Steve-o
Dec 06, 2011 Steve-o rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Main very much. Definitely a departure from Trevanian's usual fare, but very good nonetheless.
Marco
Medio telenovelesco y nada representativo de Trevanian
Ernst Nieuwoudt
Sep 02, 2012 Ernst Nieuwoudt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite Trevanian book-a book with a soul!
Jim Wilson
Sep 04, 2009 Jim Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about the gritty streets of Montreal.
Balavenise
Nov 23, 2013 Balavenise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnifique!
Michel Eisenmann
Michel Eisenmann rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
  • The Backwoods of Canada
  • Boy's Life / Gone South
  • The Magician
  • Dress Gray
  • The Fourth Durango
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • John Barleycorn: Alcoholic Memoirs
  • Suicide Hill (Lloyd Hopkins, #3)
  • Hard Candy (Burke, #4)
  • The Zebra-Striped Hearse
  • Tango Briefing
"Trevanian" was the pen name of American author Dr. Rodney William Whitaker (12 June 1931-14 Dec 2005). He wrote in a wide variety of genres, achieved best-seller status, and published under several names, of which the best known was Trevanian. From 1972 to 1983, five of his novels sold more than a million copies each. He was described as "the only writer of airport paperbacks to be compared to Zo ...more
More about Trevanian...