Start by marking “Ox-Tales: Earth” as Want to Read:
Ox-Tales: Earth

Ox-Tales: Earth

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Ox-Tales is a set of four compelling and collectible books, each themed on one of the elements. Earth features stories by Rose Tremain, Jonathan Coe, Marti Leimbach, Kate Atkinson, Ian Rankin, Marina Lewycka, Hanif Kureishi, Jonathan Buckley and Nicholas Shakespeare, and a poem by Vikram Seth.

The idea behind Ox-Tales is to raise money for Oxfam and along the way to highlig
Published April 1st 2010 by Profile Books (first published July 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ox-Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ox-Tales

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
The Chinese Zodiac
203rd out of 525 books — 32 voters
Knight of Flame by Scott EderHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingWatership Down by Richard AdamsGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Earth, Wind and Fire
289th out of 568 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Dot
Another great book from the Oxfam series. This is a slender volume of short stories by established authors including Rose Tremaine and Ian Rankin. The latter's contribution was a bit cheeky as he used a 200 word story that he had first written for a festival at Hay-on-Wye. This was made up for by longer stories written by other authors and written especially for this publication. I think my favourite story in this collection was "Marat" by Nick Shakespeare, in which the infamous French Revolutio ...more
Jemma
Ox-Tales Earth is part of a series of money-raising books by Oxfam, filled with short stories from well-known authors. The others in the series are Fire (which I have read), Water, and Air. Each is supposed to focus on a different area of Oxfam's work - Earth being Agricultural Development.

The stories included:
Fieldwork by Ian Rankin
The Importance of Warm Feet by M
Ashleigh
The Jester of Astapovo
I had trouble getting into this, but when it got going I really enjoyed it. Nice writing style. =) 3/5

The Nettle Pit
I thought this one was both funny and quite heart-wrenching. I particularly loved the 'competition' between Max & Chris! My favourite bit though, "Daddy, why is the grass green" - and the answer "Well, every night the fairies come out with their paint pots and paint it green" 4/5

Boys in Cars
I really liked this one =) It was both interesting and poignant
This was a superior offering to Ox-Tales: Air by some way, really hit the spot. As one would hope of course with a stellar line up of authors. Not one of the pieces fell flat and more than one moved me to tears.

A great little Rebus tale in 202 words from Ian Rankin.
Rose Tremain's story of the death of Tolstoy as seen from the life and loves of a Russian stationmaster
Jonathan Coe's story which could have been oh so dull middle class witterings but for the final heartbreaking conclusion
Marina Lewy
SilverRaindrops
"Earth" is part of a series of four books of short story collections, dealing with the themes of Oxfam's aid projects around the world; the focus for "Earth" being agricultural development. This review will make a note on every story on its own, and not focus on Oxfam's great work. Therefore, potential criticism also deals only with the story in question, not with anything else. (Just to make sure no one gets hurt or angry.)

"Earth" by Vikram Seth
No review for this poem, because I am in love with
harryknuckles
The first of four original collections, featuring stories by leading British- and Irish- based writers. Each of the writers has contributed their story for free in orfder to raise money and awareness for Oxfam.
The four elements provide a loose framework for the stories and highlight key areas of Oxfam's work. For this one (Earth) the focus is agricultural development.
The contributors in this volume are:
Rose Tremain
Marina Lewycka
Hanif Kureishi
Jon
Vicki Jarrett
Nice little short story collection, subtitled 'Original stories from remarkable writers'. This is the first in a series of four books published in support of Oxfam - all royalties go to them. The series is themed on the four elements: Earth, Air, Fire and Water. On the basis of this first volume, I think I will be seeking out the other three. The stories are of a consistenty high standard and there's the pleasure of the variety of strong styles and voices - each volume has at least 2 or 3 very b ...more
Dwanna
I happened upon this story collection by accident. It's one of four written to benefit Oxfam. "Earth" has stories by Jonathan Coe, Kate Atkinson, Ian Rankin, and Marina Lewycka, among others. Recommended.
Gary
Found this book along with it's 3 companion volumes in that great indie bookstore, Book Revue in Huntington, NY. (http://www.bookrevue.com). Great collection of stories although I wasn't too clear as to how some of them were tied to the theme of "the earth".
Anyway, the proceeds from the sale of these books were supposed to go to Oxfam but considering I bought them on remainder, the only organization benefiting from their sale would be Book Revue (which isn't so bad a thing either). I'm sure tha
Trin
I think I like the design of this short story collection better than anything else about it, even the Kate Atkinson story (which was good but not close to her best). The tales themselves were a mixture, some good, some bad, with no real standouts. I still want the other books in this series, though. THEY ARE JUST SO PRETTY.
sisterimapoet
Good little selection, with subtle relevance to the theme. A nice way to dip into short fiction by people I haven't read before, as well as those I have.

I particular enjoyed the Coe and Leimbach pieces, but my favourite was the Kate Atkinson, I thought I had her measure but she really surprised me with this and I loved it!
Frances
My favourite story was 'Boys in Cars' by Martin Leimbach it had a really lovely insight and feel to it and I loved both characters. Ian Rankin's 200 word story was also pretty impressive and funny! A nice chance to find new writers.
Natalie Bowers
From Russia in the early 1900s to modern-day Africa, this beautifully-presented collection of original short stories captures both the heart and mind, compelling its readers to find another £5 with which to buy Ox-Tales: Air.
Dawn
Collection of short stories by good authors. I've heard it said that writing short stories requires more skill than lengthy novels. I certainly enjoyed these more than some novels I have read. Great summer reading.
Kathryn
Interesting collection of short stories or extracts from WiP's - some from writers I know and love (Kate Atkinson, Rose Tremain) and a good introduction to others I have heard of but not yet got around to reading.
Paul Cheney
Good little collection of short stories that was written in support of Oxfam.

There was the odd duff one, but I did like Fieldwork by Ian Rankin and Telescope by Jonathan Buckley
Beccy
I really like short stories and this is a good collection for Oxfam, I definitely want to read the rest of the series too.
KM
Quality was a bit mixed but there are some great stories in here- particularly those by Kate Atkinson and Rose Tremain.
Huw
Oct 18, 2009 Huw added it
Shelves: fiction
Some good stories. very pocketable :-)
Nadine Larter
Nadine Larter marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
David Mapes
David Mapes marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Daniel Weir
Daniel Weir marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Bernard Cox
Bernard Cox marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Amira
Amira added it
Nov 27, 2014
menci
menci is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Khunsha
Khunsha marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mark Ellingham was born in Wiltshire, UK, in 1959. After leaving Bristol University in 1981, he was unable to find an interesting job and decided to create his own, writing the first Rough Guide (to Greece). He secured a publishing contract – Routledge paying an advance of £900 ($1800) – midway through writing it. The book was an immediate success and Mark and various friends set to work turning t ...more
More about Mark Ellingham...
Ox-Tales: Fire Ox-Tales: Air The Rough Guide Book of Playlists The Rough Guide to Greece The Rough Guide to Morocco