Start by marking “The Cat at Night” as Want to Read:
The Cat at Night

The Cat at Night

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Join the farmer's cat on his fascinating nighttime journey through fields, farms, forests, and even the city to see what only he can see after the sun sets. Legendary artist Dahlov Ipcar mesmerizingly alternates between dark night scenes and vivid color to deliver a beautifully illustrated children's classic.
Published January 1st 2008 by Islandport Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat at Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat at Night

Allison
Ipcar's charming picture book describes a cat's nightly routine in the country and city. Her beautiful illustrations depict both the nighttime version (what we see) and then what the cat can see. The first is nothing but a dark blue background with black silhouettes in various shapes. These work to help children anticipate and try to identify objects based on shapes. The following spread shows what the cat sees, which is full of color and detail. As the cat lives on a farm, she walks through tab ...more
Jill
Another one from Aunt Sally. I like the unusual spin of showing the same illustration--once in shadow then seeing it through the eyes of a cat at night. I think Sally told me this artist lives close to her in Maine--near Five Islands (if I'm getting that name right). She pointed out her house when we were in the area for fresh lobster and steamers.
Bonnie
Jul 28, 2009 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I love this! Newly re-issued this year (originally published in 1969), her art is reminiscent of Wanda Gag's work and Eve Rice's Goodnight, Goodnight. The contrast of silhouette spreads with colored spreads lends the book to many uses with pre-k and up audiences, and creates a mini-mystery on each set of pages.
Milena
This is a quite unique book. The story is about all the things that a cat does during the night, all the places it goes, and all the animals he encounters. The illustrations are amazing and interesting since they represent the vision of the cat at night. Dahlov is the best. Recommended age: 6 years old or more.
Cassie
Take a journey with a cat through the many beauties of nighttime. You’ll first the scene as it would appear to you and then to your cat. This sweet and simple book will invite readers to wonder what their cats do all night!
Sara
Beautiful illustrations. A neat story - I love the contrast between what humans see at night and what a cat sees.
Dannie
Beautiful illustrations, engaging for kids, and lots of prepositions (among, beneath, through, etc.)
Lea
The Little Fisherman was our family's first introduction to Ipcar. I enjoy The Cat at Night even more!
Mushi
Pam
Beautifully illustrated story of a cat and what he does all night long.
Danielle
Bold, modern illustrations.
Very cool cat.
Love the dark, silhouetted pages.
Anselm
this one's a knock out. better than symbolism, and most movies.
Mckinley
Like the 2 visions - the darkness and how the cat sees it all.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 08, 2013 Sarah Sammis marked it as to-read
Recommended to Sarah by: Design of the Picture Book
Shelves: pc, exwishlist
The Hayward Bookshop
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Lucca
Lucca added it
Dec 19, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Lynna
Lynna marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Jessica Hendricks
Jessica Hendricks marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Dark Horn Blowing The Queen of Spells Hardscrabble Harvest My Wonderful Christmas Tree One Horse Farm