Start by marking “Festering Romance” as Want to Read:
Festering Romance

Festering Romance

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Janet's been friends with Paul since they were kids. The only problem is, Paul is corporeally challenged. Ghostly puppy love might be enough for Paul, but when Janet meets the (alive) man who just might be the one, her phantom doesn't take it well. Then, when Janet finds out that the guy of her dreams has his own skeletons in the closet, their fledgling romance is hit hard ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Oni Press (first published July 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Festering Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Festering Romance

David Schaafsma
Unfortunate title for a book about a romance… which is indeed kind of festering, ha ha, but which is not that attractive a concept, is it? I was not that into the art style, which sort of makes all the characters seem much younger than they really are… which is college age. Janet lives with Paul, who is a ghost, a child hood friend who drowned, and they sort of live a reclusive life together. Her friends try to set her up with guys and this fails a lot until she meets Derek, who also, she finds, ...more
Jenna
Adorable drawing style, which is one of the reasons I picked it up. The other, was that it had been shelved in the adult section, most likely for the 4-5 curses. Other than that, it felt very light material, despite the ghosts floating about. They seemed more along the Casper range rather than anything that serious. Which is unfortunate, as I would've enjoyed it more if it had been a weightier graphic novel, both in length and character depth.

Regarding the ending, (view spoiler)
Rosa
Janet and Derek have been set up by their mutual friend. Janet's having a hard time adjusting to the idea of going out. She would rather stay home with Paul, her best friend, who also happens to be a ghost. It turns out that Janet and Derek have more in common then they could ever have imagined. This graphic novel has strong themes regarding learning to move on with life and holding onto the past too tightly. Some of the concepts regarding ghosts and how they functioned in this world were really ...more
Rosse
No es muy bueno.
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
This book made me laugh out loud a couple of times. I found it to be very charming and I loved watching the festering romance develop over the course of the story. The characters have ghosts in their closets (literally) and find that it is impossible to move forward until they can get rid of what they are holding on to. I thought this grapic novel was very well done. I really enjoyed the artwork, and the insight into 20-something dating was spot on.
Chriss
Jan 13, 2010 Chriss rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for something different in a graphic novel
Recommended to Chriss by: Oni Press
I was at the Oni Press panel at the 2009 ComiCon in San Diego and this is one of the new books they talked about. It's description (a story about a couple haunted by the ghosts of their past) caught my attention and I put it on my list to check out. John got it for me for me for Christmas and I enjoyed it.

The artwork is manga flavored and the story is good. The characters are interesting as well.
April
This book has decent airings a premise that should be funnier or more entertaining than it turns out to be. I found myself being thankful the book was such a fast read because the main character's actions annoyed me so much. The characters didn't feel all that well developed and the book just wasn't that entertaining. It didn't make me care about the characters so its one I'm not keeping.
Mycala
Despite the somewhat unpleasant sounding title, this is a really sweet story about two people whose fledgling relationship is complicated by literal ghosts from their past. It's a really clever idea and is both funny and touching. Kind of a bittersweet ending.
Barbara
I almost passed this over because I didn't like the art style, but I'm glad I picked it up. The story is great, the characters are relate-able, and I even grew to like the art style. The paneling isn't very dynamic, but since it's a narrative with little action and mostly dialogue, it works.
Isaiah
For a review of this book check out http://mibookreviews.wordpress.com/
scarlettraces
cute, light, the art could have done with a bit of gussying-up.
Miriam Matthews
I would reccomend this, as it's a cute little book and fun
Brian
Wasn't bad but Anya's ghost was better.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Kay Dot
Kay Dot marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014