Start by marking “Echo: Atomic Dreams (Echo, #2)” as Want to Read:
Echo: Atomic Dreams (Echo, #2)

Echo: Atomic Dreams (Echo #2)

Julie is the unwilling host to remnants of an atomic alloy manufactured by the Hietzer Nuclear Research Institute, or HeNRI. Pursued by an unstoppable HeNRI agent named Ivy, Julie runs and hides in the Nevada desert, aided by the unlikly allies of a gang of bikers and park ranger, Dillon. But there is another: a nameless madman who stalks Julie and her precious alloy, leav ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 104 pages
Published June 16th 2009 by Abstract Studio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echo

Amy
Feb 19, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, sci-fi
Terry Moore's are was as ever, amazing in this. I don't think I know another comic artist who draws faces as expressive as Moore.

Plot wise I don't feel that this volume was quite as good as the first, but it was still an enjoyable romp. The homeless guy and Ivy are nice contrasting pursuers of the main du0, and I'm looking forward to seeing how their roles pan out in the following volumes.
David
May 05, 2013 David rated it liked it
Recommends it for: junkyard dogs and junkyard monkeys, National Security Branch agents
The second book in the Echo series. Not much plot development in this book: Julie and Dillon are still on the run, with Ivy Raven, of the "National Security Branch," on their trail. Ivy is the most intriguing character, since she's a MIB but at least appears to be one of the good guys, claiming that she actually wants to help Julie, while HeNRI, the corporation that built the liquid metal supersuit she's wearing, obviously just wants the suit back and evidence of their screw-up erased at all cos ...more
Zedsdead
Dec 06, 2012 Zedsdead rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Volume 2 opens with Julie hiding out in the Nevada desert. She's being hunted by both a madman who also possesses some of the alloy and a relentless tracker working for the agency that got her into the mess in the first place. Sparks fly, and people explode.

Terrific follow-up to a terrific first volume. Moore is a master character-writer; everyone in the book just jumps off the page. Ivy's intuitive leaps, the homeless guy's madness, Julie's empathy, it's all totally believable.

Moore continues
Snow
Aug 03, 2010 Snow rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-comics
Dear DC and Marvel,
In case you ever care enough to try to create female superheroes for women, please contact Mr. Moore. He can show you how it's done.
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing
While the first book made me think more of SiP, I can safely say that this volume established the series from it's older sibling. I devoured this book in a day, reading it as quickly as I could get my hands on it & then flipping through it multiple times to catch the artwork & smaller details that I may have missed the first go round. (And there's always little details to catch with Moore's work.)

The first volume left Julie & Dillon as they set off on the road with several bikers in
Artemisa
I liked this book, but it created too many questions, without answering any of the questions left from the previous book. I hope Terry Moore knows where he want to get, and we aren't left with a bunch of loose ends.

This is just a little bit more on Echo running from "the man", but know there is an extra bad guy a crazy man with a piece of the suit, and he seems just as powerful as Julie.
On the other PoV, Ivy is getting closer to Julie and I feel like she is starting to trust Ivy, I just don't kn
Hector Ibarraran
Sep 09, 2015 Hector Ibarraran rated it liked it
In this book the mystery continues and the plot thickens. Although I found myself entertained enough to continue reading the rest of the series, I don't find this book to be extraordinary. The main character feels too bland and empty. It feels like she is there just to fulfill her role as a vessel to the story, and that saddens me a bit. I'd really like to see her take on more of a personality, because otherwise there would be nothing to grow from as the story goes. There are a few other charact ...more
Mike
Jun 17, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creator-owned
The dream sequences are evocative in a wisps-of-clouds across my consciousness kind of way, and the hints is philosophy have been good. I like how Annie is communing with Julie and I love how the investigator is both quirky, observant and her own, strong woman. Both vulnerable and steely - unlike Julie who's closed and wishy-washy.

The action is stunning in how sudden it comes on and how quickly it resolves... though only for a little while. The quiet moments in between are great.

The pencil art c
Greymalkin
Apr 30, 2012 Greymalkin rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
Didn't quite enjoy this as much as the first, but I think it's because this was the book that starts introducing all the plotlines that will follow through the rest of the books. So it felt a little disjointed and like no story really got enough "screen time" to get invested in it. Still enjoying it though and I may enjoy this book more when I read the rest and re-read this one. Definitely will keep reading, I find the plot/world interesting.
Ian Wood
Sep 07, 2015 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Tanabrus
Nov 06, 2011 Tanabrus rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Wayne
Mar 24, 2010 Wayne rated it liked it
I recently reviewed Jeff Smith's Rasl. In that review, I mentioned how hard it is to top yourself, especially when you're known for something which is already acknowledged as the best there is. That's Terry Moore's problem here too. Strangers in Paradise is one of the finest series of the last 20 years. Next to Bone, it is consistently one of my stores best sellers. Echo again , like Strangers features a strong cast, especially the main character. Nobody else in comics with the exception of Greg ...more
Sumit Singla
Great art, especially some panels where there is no dialogue but just lovely, stunning, striking art. Julie and Dillon are on the run, being chased by the mysterious Ivy - who I haven't been able to gauge yet.

Is she one of the bad folks? Or does she side with the old ones? Guess we'll find out soon, along with the identity of the gloved man.

The story proceeds slower than the previous volume, but is still pacy enough to hold interest.

Haven't read other works by Terry Moore, but based on what I h
Fran
Mar 24, 2013 Fran rated it really liked it
Excellent ending! That must've been a really nail biting wait between issues #10 and #11 if you were reading it as the issues came out (and even more agonising if you were waiting for the next trade, but at least then you could find out what'd happened if you really wanted to). There's lots of expositional stuff that goes on in this one, in a good way. Makes you feel like you really know what's going on, although I'm sure we don't at this point. And, of course, the ending means you just want to ...more
Amanda
Apr 10, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
It begins to make a small bit more sense. The main characters are beginning to be drawn together, and by this I mean two of what will eventually be a much larger cast. But the footwork is coming here, as is the first pangs of those we lose, and the shape of things to come.

Who is evil, and who isn't, and we begin to ask the even more important question here -- what is your definition of evil and how are you wielding it in your assumptions of people? And where does science belong in the black and
sonicbooming
Mar 29, 2013 sonicbooming rated it really liked it
Volume 2 picks up right where it left off. Our young "wrong place and wrong time" heroine is on the run. The government, a contracted investigator/agent, evil corporation, biker gangs, a deranged monkey. Why aren't you reading this?! I feel like this is in the same zone as Y: The Last Man. A future we do not want to happen. Quite a bit of cold-war political commentary going on here and all of it stimulating.
kubby
Jul 03, 2015 kubby added it
okeh. i'm a sucker for terry moore's linework.

i was at deep eddy today reading this and laughed aloud when agent ivy raven was being such a creep-o doing things like sniffing julie's (the protagonist) pillow!

"miss raven? she smelled nice." (a waitress:angel dickey)
"like gardenias." (ivy)
"yeah...exactly. how'd you know?" (waitress)

the next panel is satisfyingly a smiling-secret-creepy look on that woman's face such as only moore delivers!

yesss
Jacobi
Oct 28, 2009 Jacobi rated it it was ok
Shelves: trades-read
The art is in this is beautiful, and there are some really wonderful wordless sequences in this trade that showcases the power of Terry's art, but unfortunately the overall story is kind of blah.

If my library gets future volumes in I'll check them out just to see the art, but this series isn't doing it for. Part of that could be the time between when I read the first volume and this one. Maybe I lost the plot?
Crushi
Aug 23, 2009 Crushi rated it liked it
I really liked the art and writing. It's a bit cliche but I still enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next collection. It's in Black and White which I prefer sometimes. It makes me work a little harder in the imagination department. I'm not so picky as to only like stories in color. If you can make up the characters voices, sound effects, and scenes it's not to hard to add color in your imagination. Good book. Pick up the first one if you're going to read it... this is the second collection.
DeAnna Knippling
Jun 07, 2012 DeAnna Knippling rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Decent but disappointing. I keep comparing it to SiP, and going, "Meh." The faces look too familiar; people's reactions seem too similar to characters I used to know. Maybe it's on purpose, but it's annyoing. I'll probably keep reading, but I won't buy copies and read them every year or two.
Jeff Raymond
Considering how much I didn’t like Strangers in Paradise, I love Echo. It’s really interesting, the artwork’s different, the story really catching me. I think I’m essentially caught up now and can go on subscription, but we’ll see.
Arminzerella
Julie is in the wrong place at the wrong time - caught in the fallout of an explosion, a strange alloy attaches itself to her – like a suit – flowing onto her like a silvery second skin. It makes her pretty much invulnerable.
Norman
Jan 15, 2016 Norman rated it it was amazing
An intriguing tale simply told and innocently illustrated. Black and white but still lovely to read. The suspense is kept going despite obvious conclusions being drawn in the tale, and we care about the characters
Jdetrick
I think I'll just keep saying ditto on all the volumes of Echo after the first. They're all great. This is a series that didn't get enough attention when it was coming out and that's too bad, because it's really good.
Greg Fulton
This second one did me in, gotta find the rest. I put in a request at the library to get 4 and 5 in, buy them, and I'm now waiting to get my hands on 3. Why must I wait? It's just not fair. Damn, I may have to buy the damn things. Shows how good the story is, as I'm skint...
Michael
Sep 26, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
via NYPL - I'd like to give it 3.5. Echo's a solid thriller with sci-fi overtones, but it lacks the heart or humor of Moore's better works.
syrin
Jan 15, 2012 syrin rated it liked it
Not as good as the first volume, but still interesting. I want to know more about Ivy and about her ultimate goals.
Rae H
Aug 24, 2011 Rae H rated it it was amazing
Just "Moore" love. :-)
Earline
Oct 09, 2009 Earline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sci-fi, series
Echo just keeps getting more awesome. can't wait to find out what happens. Terry Moore is such a tease!
Schnaucl
I like this series but I feel like this particular book didn't advance the plot all that much. Still, the art is lovely and the premise is interesting.
  • Air, Volume 2: Flying Machine
  • Powers, Vol. 12: The 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes of All Time
  • The Sword, Volume 3: Earth
  • Criminal, Vol. 4: Bad Night (Criminal, #4)
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Angel & Faith, #5)
  • Whiteout
  • FreakAngels, Volume 1 (FreakAngels, #1)
  • Sky Doll: Die Gelbe Stadt (Sky Doll, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 5 (Flight, #5)
  • Madame Xanadu, Volume 1: Disenchanted
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius, #2)
  • Poorcraft: The Funnybook Fundamentals of Living Well on Less
  • The Boys, Volume 9: The Big Ride
Following the examples of independent comic creators such as Dave Sim and Jeff Smith, he decided to publish Strangers in Paradise himself through his own Houston-based "Abstract Studios" imprint, and has frequently mentioned a desire to do a syndicated cartoon strip in the authors notes at the back of the Strangers in Paradise collection books. He has also mentioned his greatest career influence i ...more
More about Terry Moore...

Echo (6 books)
  • Echo, Volume 1: Moon Lake
  • Echo: Desert Run (Echo, #3)
  • Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)
  • Echo: Black Hole (Echo, #5)
  • Echo: The Last Day (Echo, #6)