Start by marking “Dont Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus!” as Want to Read:
Dont Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus!

Dont Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus! (Pigeon)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  42,215 ratings  ·  2,062 reviews
When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-a pigeon! But you've never met one like this before. As he pleads, wheedles, and begs his way through the book, children will love being able to answer back and decide his fate. In his hilarious picture book debut, popular cartoonist Mo Willems perfectly captures a presch ...more
Hardcover, With Audio CD
Published (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dont Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus!, please sign up.

Karina idk yet when i learn i will tell you bhotu_syahoo.com
Paris yes and it is very easy to read for three- five year olds

Ronyell
I have read many books by Mo Willems that have been honored with the Caldecott Honor award, which included the “Knuffle Bunny” series. Now I have recently read “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” which is actually Mo Willems’ first children’s book and is a Caldecott Honor book and it is about how the Pigeon keeps asking the audience if he could drive the bus after the bus driver leaves to run an errand. “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” is truly a memorable book that children can read over ...more
Jenny
Jul 23, 2007 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those working with 2-5s
A short but snappy story from popular cartoonist Mo Willems. 'Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus' is guaranteed to leave you with a big smile on your face! I am not ashamed to say that this story brought out the dramatist in me as I read it out loud to a mother and toddler group!

The best part had to be the glorious double page spread of illustrations showing all of the pigeon's techniques to convince you to let him drive the bus... "Your MUM said that I could...", "I'll give you five pounds!" (
Kathryn
3.5 STARS. I thought this was a well thought out book, but I'm not sure how much of dear little Pigeon I'll be able to take. Initially, I thought he was cute if rather whiny (The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!) This time, I thought he was borderline obnoxious and manipulative. Which, of course, is the point, I think! Maybe it's to illustrate the absurdity of kids trying to get their parents to let them do things that there is absolutely no way they can/should do!

It was, perhaps, just my mood and perhaps
Philip
This was my daughter's first exposure to peer pressure. She let that bus driver know that under no circumstance would she let the pigeon drive the bus. Then, when the pigeon was begging and pleading with her, she held her ground and told that bird to back the freak off.

Well done. Keep that attitude when people are trying to talk you into buying smokes that cost $14.75 a pack.
midnightfaerie
Another wonderful Mo Willems book, that got the whole family involved. I've started reading to the kids over some meals, breakfast with cereal is a favorite one. It's gotten so that even one of my 2 yr old twins, Cole, has been asking me to read as soon as the cereal comes out. Willems is high on our list of favorites and this one was also read several times. Great illustrations and concept, it could almost be labeled a level 1 book for a beginner reader.
Renee
The illustrations and text will make children laugh hysterically as the pigeon gets more and more frustrated. This is an excellent book for demonstrating expressive reading.

Received starred reviews in SLJ and Booklist.
Tatiana
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is an excellent example of a dialogue-driven children's book. You can't help but smile as the pigeon in question pleads his case for taking the giant vehicle around the block, perhaps because his reasonings are so similar to that of young kids' arguing style. The double-page, irreverent illustrations only add to the comedy of the pigeon's situation. A must for read-alouds in the primary grades.
Brenda Cregor
Someone get me some crayons and a word processor with Courier font! There is hope for me to become a published author, yet. :0)

I do not understand why this book EVER won the Caldecott Award ( for illustrations), and with all of my analytic powers have yet to understand the significance of the storyline.

Is it about emotional intelligence?
A masked attack on "bird brained" people?
Union loyalty?

I am underwhelmed.
Sonal Hall
After reading this book on the first week of the course it has stuck in my mind. Unlike most children's books, the illustrations in this book are not all that colourful which is interesting because you always assume they will be. However muted greys and beiges are used. The writing is entertaining in its own right, while the pictures help us to visualise the characters.
It is a very simple book in the sense that the writing is less but cleverly put and the pictures are simplistic and not over th
Summer {is puntastic}
My sister got this from the book fair at her school, and as I (begrudgingly) began to read it to her, I was struck by the fact that this is the most adorable thing ever.
- ages 2-6 -
Former Sesame Street writer Mo Willems's first children's book in a series starring the delightful blue pigeon. I liked the participatory element - story begins with the bus driver asking us to watch the bus for him while he takes a break. Also love the drawings and text - simple, yet really fresh and unique.
The rest of the line-up: Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!, The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!, The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!, The Pigeon Loves Things That Go! and The Pigeon Wants a
Sashel Palacios
Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems is a hilarious book that accurately depicts a young child’s temper tantrum. As the story begins, a bus driver is going on a break and asks the reader to look over the bus. The only request the bus driver has is to “NOT LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS”. The following page, the pigeon quickly volunteers and asks if he could take the bus out for a little spin around the block. Page after page, the pigeon tries a multiple of different ways to try and con ...more
Bonnie Ferrante
This book is a short humorous encounter with a frustrated pigeon. I was surprised to learn it is a Caldecott Honor Award book. The pictures are very simple crayon drawings with little on the page. It isn't a story as much as it's a conversation between the pigeon and the reader.

A bus driver leaves and tells the reader "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" From that point on, the pigeon tries to convince the reader to allow him to drive the bus. Immediately after he experiences an emotional break
Gwion Russell
I absolutely love this book! It tells the story of a pigeon that has high hopes and wants to drive a big bus; however the bus driver will not let him.
The illustrations really drive this book and the illustrator and Mo Willems (the author) have really worked well together to fine-tune and reflect the moral of this story: to follow your dreams, simple. The little narrative and dialogue in the book enable this book to be easily read by an eager Year 1 class or even reception. The 1950’s style bus,
Aaron Siclovan
The book is about a pigeon, who really wants to drive the bus. When the bus driver leaves the bus for just a little bit, he asks another pigeon to watch the bus and not let the other pigeon drive. Even if the 'willing drivers' insist a lot on asking permission to drive, he he will not be allowed to do so. The persistent pigeon swears that he is going to be careful, but nobody will let him drive, and when the bus driver returns he is thankful to find out that the pigeon did not drive his bus.

Thi
Liane
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Persistence and manipulation: Not taking no for an answer.

Curricular Use: Read aloud.

Literary Elements: Humor. Strong example of voice. Personification.

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and pictures. The pictures convey the pigeons tone and expression, especially by the use of his eyeball. (And when he gets mad you know it).
Snorkle
A classic kids book that everybody should be able to say, "why, yes, I have read Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus!" This book is absolutely hilarous! Just looking at the pigeon's little face as he tries to convince you that he is ready and willing to drive that bus totally cracks me up. Mo Willems did a stellar job, I highly recommend this book.
Jenn
When I first saw this book, I thought it looked dumb. I was so wrong! It is hands-down the funniest, most enjoyable book for Zoe and me to read together. She laughs hysterically at the pigeon's pleading and his spiral into crazy over wanting to drive the bus. Highly recommend.
Huda
no one would read it better than our dr,
still remember how funny it was
Linda McCarry
This is my 6th Book Review: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
By: Mo Willems

This is a fantastic children's picture book for children in nursery up to Key Stage 1 in year 1 and 2, it is funny, light-hearted and engaging. It is about a bus driver who is taking a break for his lunch and asks the audience (readers of the book) not to let this “pigeon” drive his bus while he is away! The pigeon begs and pleads throughout the whole book asking to drive the bus, using varies techniques such as bribe o
Zahara
Don't let the pigeon drive the bus by Mo Willems
A pigeon volunteers to drive a bus after the bus driver decides to take a break. Before leaving his vehicle the bus driver gives strict instructions to not let anyone drive the bus. However the pigeon is adamant to drive the bus and beseeches, charms, persuades and begs the reader to let him drive the bus.
This is an interactive story which will lure the reader to answer the pigeons requests.
Don't let the pigeon drive the bus can be used for many
CH13_Meghan Schultz
In this delightfully upbeat picture book, a bus driver steps away from the wheel of his bus for a minute and asks the reader to pay careful watch of the bus. However, before leaving he warns readers to not allow the pigeon to drive the bus! Of course after the driver leaves, the pigeon pleads with readers to allow him to drive the bus.
The humor of this book would draw in even the most lackluster reader. With short sentence structure and a variety of picture frames with extreme movement, Mo Wi
Lacey Ellison
Summary:

This children's book is a picture storybook about a persistent pigeon who constantly begs, pleads, whines, and yells in an attempt to get the reader to allow him to drive the bus while the bus driver is out. When the pigeon is not allowed to drive the bus after pleading and begging, the bus driver leaves with the bus, and the book ends with the pigeon imagining himself driving the semi-truck that drives up next.

The illustrations are simple, yet very effective in showing the emotional ra
Nina G.
A school bus driver leaves his bus for a while and tells the readers "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive Drive the Bus!" A pigeon begs to be able to drive the bus even just for a little bit. The cartoons are simple yet hilarious.

My response: I never read this book before but I re-read it a couple of times and got some good laughs. It reminds me when I was a kid when I would always beg my parents to do something even after they said no. I found the book to be entertaining.

Classroom Connections: Students
Katlyn Campbell
1. Genre: Contemporary Picture Book
2. Summary: This book takes place when a bus driver needs to take a break and put you, the reader, in charge of his bus. He leaves you with one rule: Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!. The pigeon persists and pleads throughout the book to have just one turn to drive the bus before its real driver gets back.
3. Critique:
a. This book has a great tone and is sure to make the readers laugh as they read it.
b. As the pigeon begs and pleads with you to have a turn t
Nicola Devine
We read this book in class and I decided to write a review on it as I felt it would be a useful resource to utilise in the classroom. This book is based around the a bus driver who leaves his bus and asks the reader to make sure they do not let the pigeon drive it. It encourages the reader to actively engage with the story-line in doing so. The pigeon desperately wants to drive the bus and so he attempts to persuade the reader to allow him to do so. He uses convincing phrases like 'your mother w ...more
Lindsey
I loved, loved, loved this book.

Before reading this, I had read many other books by Mo Willems, including several of the Elephant and Piggie books and the first two Knuffle Bunny books. I have loved each of those books, so I'm not really sure why I hadn't picked up any of the Pigeon books yet.

This book is very simple, but pretty brilliant. A bus driver asks the reader to please watch his bus, and no matter what, "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!" Of course the pigeon is dying to drive the bus
Alison
I find this book interesting. The illustrations are sparse, yet cartoon-like- the face of the bus driver reminds me of the faces Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters such as Officer Dibble from Top Cat, or Barney Rubble from The Flintstones. However, the colours in Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus are quite muted; beige-pink and pale blue, and there is a lot of space in them, focusing the reader on the character of the pigeon and his pleading.

The narrative is very simple: a bus driver goes for a b
Lara  Sorcha
The front cover is a simple drawing of a pigeon with a speech-bubble. Children should/could recognise that image. The pigeon has a child-like quality to its depiction, especially in the way the feet are drawn (ie there is missing accuracy and perception compared to the angle of the rest of its body). The book is aimed at the reader being asked for permission to drive the bus and therefore places responsibility on the reader.

The first page is a double page spread with images in thought-bubbles of
Anne
This book is about a bus driver who leaves his bus and asks the reader to make sure they do not let the pigeon drive it! The naughty pigeon attempts to persuade the reader to let him drive the bus by saying things such as 'your mother would let me' and 'I'll give you a fiver.'

The book is definitely aimed towards key stage 1 children. The children reading the book would love it as long as they have the ability to realise that the pigeon is very naughty and sneaky. If the children can't see this
PIGEONS CAN DRIVE??? 30 135 Dec 14, 2014 07:57PM
Allegory for fascist regimes? 4 16 Nov 11, 2014 11:36PM
CHILL and STILL f...: DONT LET THE... 19 14 Nov 04, 2014 12:00PM
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Bark, George
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • Not a Box
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Little Hoot
  • Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
  • First the Egg
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • John, Paul, George & Ben
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!

“I bet your mom would let me."
-Pigeon, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus-”
61 likes