Start by marking “Creature ABC” as Want to Read:
Creature ABC

Creature ABC

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  55 reviews
An elegant addition to any library, this deluxe alphabet book features 120 pages of Andrew Zuckerman's breathtaking wildlife photography. From alligator to zebra, each featured animal boasts two striking studio portraits against a clean white background, offering a unique up-close view of the animal kingdom. Readers can flip to a helpful glossary in the back for extra info ...more
Published July 29th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Creature ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature ABC

Betsy
Each year there’s a spate of alphabet books that flood the market willy-nilly. And in this day and age when kids become jaded around the age of three, if you’re going to do something abecedarian you’re gonna need a gimmick. Maybe each letter will stand for a different amusing spy. Maybe they’ll dance up a coconut tree to a jazzy jungle beat. Perhaps your alphabet will be constructed out of street signs and city symbols. Whatever it is, it better be great or the general buying public will have no ...more
Treasa
Zuckerman goes through the alphabet, using photographs to illustrate a creature (or multiple creatures in some cases) for each letter. Usually the letter is presented on one page, with a close-up of an animal on the facing page. The next two-page spread consists of the identification of the animal(s) and a photo that shows more of the animal than the close-up did.

I enjoyed this book through the letter "c"... and then it started to lose me. The animal chosen for "D" was a dove, which is fine, exc
Erin Hendrian
Large, vivid photos of animals, although a few were a bit too creepy for my taste (scorpion!), and it was a little odd that some letters randomly were a concept ("nocturnal" or "underwater") or just lazy ("yellow canary" for y... what about yak?). Oh well. OCD preferences aside, Beatrice seemed to enjoy it.
Emily Horn
Andrew Zuckerman did a pretty good job with Creature abc, however there were somethings I disagreed with. The book goes through each letter showing part of an animal that starts with that letter and then the name of the animal and the word on the next page. It does this for the entire alphabet, A through Z. I loved the sneak peak of the animal before you learn its name and the pictures of the animals because they were so detailed. I did not like how the book was consistent until the letter X whe ...more
Sylvester
5* photos - I can see the little barbs on the lions tongue! And the wolf - absolutely magnificent.
3* abc concept
Jessi
I liked this book more at the beginning than I did at the end. I know it's hard to think of an item to go with every letter of the alphabet, whether it's a book about animals, fruits, or whatever. I liked the fact that the author used this opportunity to present groups of animals ("N" was used for "nocturnal, for example.) But at the end, it just got weird. "X" showed us "oryx"- that's fine. "X" is hard. But for "Y", we're presented with "yellow canary." What? How lazy is that? What happened to ...more
Kelly
What I love about this book is the photographs. They are SO detailed and compelling. The only reason I don't give the book five stars is that I don't love some of the letter/word associations that are not obvious and are difficult for children to guess (which is a big part of the draw for kids). I (insect) and Q (quills) are a stretch, but understandable. M (mandrill) is misleading for young children who will guess "monkey" (which is technically true, as mandrills are in the Old World monkey (Ce ...more
Mary Ann
Zuckerman has created an amazing ABC book, based on his adult coffee-table book Creature. Animal are photographed in crisp, vivid details, against stark white backgrounds. First, you read just the letter and see one photograph of the animal. Young readers will try to guess the animal name. On the next page, you read the animal name and see another striking photograph of the animal. Throughout, the animals are photographed in striking poses full of movement or placed in interesting compositions f ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
If Zuckerman were only the author of this book, he would have little call for pride in his accomplishment; the entire text of the book consists of less than fifty words, all of which are simply labels to the photographs (though I suppose, if you count the glossary at the end, we might up that to about four hundred.)

But it's not the text that draws you to the book. It's the photographs. They are, in a word, brilliant. Alive. Vivid. A surprise here and there. (What does he use for "u", you might
Wendy Daniel
This is an excellent book for letter knowledge. The illustrations are amazing and introduce letters in an organic and compelling way. Children from newborns to 2 year olds will love browsing through the pages of this lovely book.
Heather
Maybe if I hadn't "read" the original, Creature, first, I would have liked this book better. I didn't like the selections made from the larger collection to fit with the ABC theme. Some of the animals chosen surprised and disappointed me (scorpion for "S"--don't really want to show life-like photos of a scorpion to my very young kids, and older kids aren't very interested in ABC books), and some of the editing decisions disappointed me, too (i.e., photos chosen for some of the animals weren't th ...more
Gwen the Librarian
The plethora of alphabet picture books out there requires that a new one be really special to stand out. Andrew Zuckerman's is special because of the amazing animal photographs and his artistic sensibility. Each letter has its own page, with a piece of an animal that starts with that letter, or a feature of some animals that will be pictured. Then the animal has a full page to preen. The animals he has chosen are all in neutral tones, which artistically is beautiful, but for a children's book is ...more
Stacy
Wonderful alphabet book that has various photographs of animals for each letter.
Karen
Dec 09, 2014 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and their parents (older kids will be looking over your shoulder!)
Recommended to Karen by: Library
This book has large photographs and is so enjoyable to look at! The fact that it is an alphabet book is just a bonus! This is a book that can move as slowly or quickly as the child. LOVE IT!
Shanshad Whelan
This was an absolute disaster of an alphabet book when I tried it on a toddler time read aloud group. Some of it's fine, like A for alligator. But other things are just questionable. C for chameleon was a little different, but still acceptable. But U for "underwater?" Q for "quills"? just didn't seem consistent to me. And then X for "oryx"?

This might work one on one with an older child, but it's a rather odd alphabet book. The pictures are decent, but for a functional concept book, this one fail
Dana
I look forward to sharing this ABC book with K students in fall. I like that it shows a letter and an animal picture but doesn't tell you the name of the animal until the next page. Students will be able to predict and infer and practice the sound of the letter that goes with the animal name on the next page. There are also some animals in this book that students will not be familiar with - they will expand their knowledge through real pictures of the animals.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is a great picture book full of AMAZING photographs of different animals that round out a "creature abc". Such great photos that I could look at again and again. If only I liked what the author choose for all the alphabet letters. (Many are animals like alligator or bear, but some are "things" like "nocturnal" or "underwater" or "quill".) It would have been better if they were all animals...and not just mostly animals and some concept ideas.
Paul
I waited a long time to get this from my library and it was worth the wait. The photographs are spectacular and the pairings for each letter of the alphabet are sometimes unexpected (nocturnal for N and underwater for U). This book could be subtitled "Textures in the Animal Kingdom" because of the high-quality images that capture the hairs and fur, feathers, scales and more, making the animals seem close enough to touch.
Alyson
Amazing animal photographs. Don't let the alphabet book format fool you, this is for everyone to admire. Many of the photographs appeared in Creature, his adult book from 2007; so it probably won't be considered for awards this year. Award winning in my mind though!
Heather
Beautiful, crisp photographs of animals for each letter of the alphabet with a blurb about each animal at the end of the book. I like that Anna can see what real hippos and bears look like rather than just illustrations of them. There are some unconventional inclusions as well. Like S for Scorpion. I want to check out his original Creature now too.
Beth
Crisp photographs of animals in bold colors (always including at least a little black) practically jump out at readers from the white background.
Text is minimal--one spread with the letter of the alphabet in uppercase and lowercase, the next with a related word.
Top-notch graphics make this a unique and highly appealing alphabet book.
I must have spent half an hour pouring over this book with the kids today. Animal portraits set against a white background that are incredibly textured and striking. I appreciate the glossary at the end which provides more information on each animal, and makes up for the dreaded letter X selection of "oryx".
Rachel G
Who knew the ABCs could be so cool!? This book pairs the alphabet with a photograph of an animal starting with that letter. Pretty standard fare, but the images are GREAT & the book is drawn out more than many other alphabet books which gives you a good opportunity to really talk about the letter or animal featured.
Christiane
The same gorgeous photos as the orignal book. Younger kids might be a little confused by some of the letters: "N" for example is for "nocturnal", not a particular animal, and "Q" is for "quills" on a porcupine. This will make a beautiful (and educational!) holiday gift.
Sam Bloom
"Life-size Zoo" for the younger crowd - an alphabet book featuring extraordinary photos of animals set against a stark white background. I was even able to look at the picture of the bat and not only remain conscious, but actually appreciate the quality of the photo. Nice.
Beth
Mar 30, 2010 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: boys, 2010
Really liked the big, bold photos in this book. Took it to Sam's K/1 class a couple weeks ago to read with the kids with whom the teacher has me reviewing the alphabet. One liked it, the other didn't (not surprising results, I'm afraid). Robbie also liked it.
Mary
It bugged me that the "abc" format started with a specific animal (e.g., a for alligator, b for bear) and then jumped around to other things (e.g., q for quill, u for underwater). It would have flowed better if he had simply stuck with naming creatures.
Leila T.
The photographs are astounding, although I don't think the "logic" of this book is followed completely consistently (for the mind of a 3-year-old). It's a new take on a traditional idea. I would have loved to see the animals "interact" more.
Courtney Bowman
This book is a good book to show children a very up close and personal picture of an animal.
It also shows the alphabet so that they can learn that as well to.

I would want all children to read this book especially when learning the alphabet.
Joanna
Sep 16, 2009 Joanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
Jaw-droppingly gorgeous photography. Stunning. I was a little disappointed by a couple of the choices but now understand that is because the author was using photographs from his previous work (thanks, Goodreads) so I suppose that's ok.
  • Alphabeasties and Other Amazing Types