Wag!

Wag! (Mutts)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  59 reviews
It seems that everything gets Earl's tail wagging--a bowl of food, a field of flowers, long walks, and belly rubs. But Mooch, Earl's best friend, knows what all of these things have in common: love is what makes Earl's tail wag. Patrick McDonnell, creator of the nationally syndicated comic strip, Mutts, pays an incredibly sweet tribute to his dog in a tale of wiggling and...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 11th 2009)

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
414th out of 1,340 books — 6,681 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra DayFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Picture Books About Dogs
45th out of 205 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Nov 19, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a sweet tale that shows the love between a dog and his owner. The illustrations feature the classic characters from the Mutts cartoon by Patrick McDonnell.

The story is short and filled with dialogue and onomatopoeia. I loved listening to our girls enthusiastically read the book aloud with me - we each had a part. Overall, the message is simple, but nice. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Cassie
As a long time fan of MUTTS, I was so pleased when Patrick McDonnell started publishing picture book versions of Earl's and Mooch's adventures. The books introduce the younger set to these charming characters and their very Zen view of life. The latest, Wag!, is no exception. A very simple question is pondered: What makes Earl's tail wag? The journey to the answer tells the answer itself.
Denise
McDonnell's books, while fabulous, don't always translate to storytime. Wag! is an exception. I think kids will enjoy helping make the "FWIP" sound throughout the book. It would be fun to ask a storytime group what they think makes a dog's tail wag before reading it aloud.
A
While if it were up to me I would probably rate this one a little less, it's one of my daughter's favorite books...so 5 stars. I also have to have an appreciation for it, because at two years old it's the first book she had started to memorize, saying "I know! I know! I know!" in her cute little voice. Yes, we read it almost every night for weeks on end, but I still found it impressive. So, if you're looking for a short easy read, that's age appropriate, and pretty cute; this is a pretty worth w...more
Deanna Vaughn
This is a cute book and fairly easy read. It is a story about a dog and why his tail is constantly wagging. When a cat is asked why his tail always wags he has to stop and think about why it does. The pictures are very simple but cute. The story is the same, simple and cute. This story would be good for younger students to read. They may also be able to relate to a dog they know or their own dog that is constantly wagging his tail.
Karen
My five-year-old son wanted to check out yellow books from the library today; this one isn't yellow -- I added to our book bag.

This book is SO adorable --MUTTS in picture book form. And I know why Earl's tail wags. But I won't tell -- it's a secret.
N
So cute :)
Miik
For cute!
Maxwell
Max read this book to me. Very cute.
Angela
This is an adorable book that is about a little dog Earl. The author sets up the question of what makes Earl's tail wag. The use of onomatopoeia is clear throughout the book, such as Fwip, fwip, fwip as the wagging of Earl's tail. The use of speaking bubbles makes it seem as though the characters are actually talking, versus simply reading the words on the page in a sentence.

I truly enjoyed the illustrations and the ending. The reason Earl's tail wags is because of love.
Jessica Crockett
This is a cute book! The illustrations are simple and wonderful. The storyline is just as good.
Kristi Bernard
WAG is a quick fun read about Earl the dog. Earl's tail wags all of the time. It wags when he eats, sleep and even when he sits in a field of flowers. But what cuases his tail to wag all of the time? You will have to read about Earl in WAG to find out.

The illustrations show Earl's tail wagging all of the time. It is really fun! If you would like to learn more about Patrick McDonnell please visit his website at http://www.patrickmcdonnell.com/
Darrielle
What makes Earl's tail wag? What I noticed about this book is a character who raises his hand to answer a question, before he is ready to provide an answer. Most students will be able to identify with this and you ccan use the character as a reminder to kids to only raise thier hands when they are ready. Literary activities may involve having students develop rhyming words that describe what makes Earl wag his tail happily.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Jackie says:

This book is on my Top Ten list for 2009--it's so sweet you can't help but feel good after reading it. I actually got to to hear the author read the story, which was an amazing treat. I seriously can't keep enough copies of this book on my recommends shelf! It's supposed to be a kids book, but it's really fantastic for anyone you love.
Jackie
Oct 05, 2009 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Recommended to Jackie by: Mountains and Plains Independent Booksellers Association
I had the pleasure of hearing Patrick McDonnell read this book to a rapt audience while showing the illustrations on PowerPoint. The gentle beauty and fantastic message of this book cannot be stated too strongly. Munchkins on my holiday list this year are getting this book--and I might just have to keep a copy for myself!
Wendy
Dog lovers of all ages will enjoy this funny and energetic exploration of what makes a dog's tail wag. My 4-year-old daughter immediately caught on to the humor and has asked to read this over and over again - which I do cheerfully because I love this book too.
Shala Howell
My four year old's favorite book right now. She hunts down the cats, plops down next to them and reads the book to them at least twice a week.

***Update: Reviewed in more detail on my blog Caterpickles.com here: http://caterpickles.com/2011/09/01/bo...****
Kim
This will be used during my next valentine's day storytime. Earl is constantly wagging his tail and the question is "why does he do that?" His friend Mooch thinks he has the answer - but it takes the whole book to get there.
Kyla
Too cute. I got this for my friend who was down, and she loved it too. I need to get my own copy! I definitely recommend this book for grownups who love children's books. If you want to smile, look here!
Melanie
Earls' tail is wagging almost all of the time, but why? Mooch thinks he knows, but he's not sure. Earls' tail wags for treats and snowflakes and bellyrubs. Why? Mooch knows! Mooch knows! Or does he?
Tracee
These books are amazing. I love them so much, because the message is always a good one, and they're just so happy! How can you NOT love a cute little dog, and a cat with a speech impediment?
Pat Downs
My second favorite picture book of the year. Similar to the Mo Willem Pigeon books, in that it's playful, but its much sweeter. The fact that it features dogs doesn't hurt.
Kelly
May 19, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: animals
The dog is really cute on the cover and in the book. I like how Mooch plays a part in telling about Earl's tail wagging. The page with the answer has a good design.
Linda Costello
This book has the characters from the cartoon strip MUTTS. I could see how kid would love this book about why Earl's tail wags. It reminds me of the Pigeon books.
Amanda Allen
They didn't like this one as much. I think she'd have liked it more were it about a 1/3 shorter. Mostly because its so repetitive. Cute by repetitive.
Brenda Kahn
I have adored McDonnell's work ever since coming across The Gift of Nothing back in 2005. His books are filled with joy and wonder. Genius found in simplicity.
Caroline
The characters from the comic strip are wonderfully represented in this fun picture book. We love the interactive aspect. Such a sweet, sweet ending, too.
Alicia
Pretty simplistic, which is why I enjoyed reading it. It would be a great book to beginning readers since there are only a few words per page.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Cute enthusiastic, excitable pups are always cute and Earl is no exception. He's a waggly tailed pup who is enthusiastic about absolutely everything.
Julie McElhaney
This book had to be written about my dog Ellie! How can you find fault with a book about an extremely happy little dog? Fabulous!
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Dogs
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • The Doghouse
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Cupcake
  • Moon Rabbit
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Chick 'n' Pug
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Melvin and the Boy
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • The Boy Who Cried Ninja
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Henry in Love
  • Bubble Bath Pirates
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like...more
More about Patrick McDonnell...
Me...Jane The Monsters' Monster The Gift of Nothing Mutts Hug Time