Start by marking “You Are The One You've Been Waiting For: Bringing Courageous Love To Intimate Relationships” as Want to Read:

In this new audio version, Richard Schwartz, the developer of the Internal Family Systems Model, applies the IFS Model to the topic of intimate relationships in an engaging, understandable, and personal style. Therapists and lay people alike will find this book to be an insightful exploration of how cultivating a relationship with the Self—the wise center of clarity, calmn ...more
Audiobook
Published 2008 by Oak Park: Trailhead Publications

To ask other readers questions about You Are The One You've Been Waiting For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are The One You've Been Waiting For

ConnieC
Nov 15, 2013 ConnieC marked it as to-read
Relationships. This book can be bought from it's own website for less than any bookstore or even Amazon. Recommended as one of the best books ever on relationships by Aunt Rita. I like the idea of the title. I understand the topic to be that we need to take care to not focus energies on changing a partner, but instead on changing ourselves and bringing a sound self to the relationship.
Qui2
Jul 26, 2011 Qui2 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yes-i-own-a-copy
I recently attended the Cape Cod institute seminar by Richard Schwartz, and picked this book up there. It was a good book, and was written in lay terms. It wasn't like trying to wade your way through a boring text book. I think parts of it may have been less understandable to me (in terms of the actual concept, not the book) had I not attended the institute. I would definately recommend this book as a great way to look at and take care of ourselves, rather than expecting and then being disappoin ...more
Meagan
Aug 19, 2012 Meagan rated it really liked it

This book was given to me as an introduction to IFS. I found IFS to be an interesting therapeutic style. As for this particular book, it was also given to me after a recent relationship end. I was instructed to think in terms of my relationship with myself while reading this book. I found it challenging to not think back to past relationships while reading this, and definitely think that this book is best suited for individuals who are currently in a relationship or are actively trying to start
Imibroccoli
Feb 25, 2014 Imibroccoli rated it really liked it
Shelves: clinical
Got it in audiobook- highly practical, easy to understand and usable model .Love IFS!
Leanne
Feb 19, 2017 Leanne rated it it was amazing
Very interesting introduction into Internal Family Systems.
Kelly Carmichael
Jun 02, 2016 Kelly Carmichael rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about relationships, vulnerability, and caring for yourself. While I would recommend reading Schwartz' book on IFS to get a grasp of the concepts, this is a great read for anyone interested in IFS or improving their intimate relationships. Definitely one I'll hold onto and look back at.
Julie
Jun 01, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
This book has an interesting, and really helpful, perspective on relationships and communication within relationships. The best part about the message is that it's all about working on ourselves and loving ourselves and not about changing our partners.
Bethie39
Mar 06, 2011 Bethie39 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this! About IFS (Internal Family Systems) in the context of intimate relationships. I think that most laymen (and women) would understand the basic concepts of IFS the way Dick Schwartz lays this out. It is easy-to-use; uses great examples; and makes you think!
Katie
Mar 16, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a change in perspective this book brought. Pretty empowering.
Stephine
Feb 28, 2010 Stephine rated it it was amazing
Eric and I are reading this book... more to come later....
Emily
Apr 06, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
THE MOST LIFE ALTERING JOURNEY! I RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE
Jim
Jan 26, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Useful introduction to Richard Schwartz' approach to counseling which I find valuable. This is a book I will be sharing.
Bobbie N
Feb 22, 2016 Bobbie N rated it it was amazing
In an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand style, Dr. Schwartz demonstrates how to apply the Internal Family Systems model of psychotherapy to one's intimate relationships.
Lauren Adcock
Lauren Adcock rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2017
Jenn Mobbs
Jenn Mobbs rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Alana
Alana rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Matt
Apr 05, 2017 Matt rated it it was amazing
Richard Schwartz is the founder of a style of therapy known as Internal Family Systems (IFS). It is an eye-opening approach to understanding one's inner world and how each of us has different parts within us that interact and influence the choices we make each day.

One of the main ideas of this book is that the more you are able to bring out the true essence of who you are - what IFS calls the "Self" - and to be Self-led, the better you will be able to understand, regulate, and heal the burdens t
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Dear
Dear rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Emily Polak
Emily Polak rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Jill Williams-Tyler
Jill Williams-Tyler rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Jørgen Carter
Jørgen Carter rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Carey Price
Carey Price rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2016
karthik chandrashekar
karthik chandrashekar rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2014
Joseph Kropp
Joseph Kropp rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Taylor Cunningham
Taylor Cunningham rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Trent Cunningham
Trent Cunningham rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Inner Wholeness Using IFS, a New, Cutting-Edge Therapy
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • Healing Trauma
  • Your Spacious Self: Clear the Clutter and Discover Who You Are
  • You're Not Crazy - It's Your Mother! Understanding and Healing for Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
  • Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships
  • Falling in Love: Why We Choose the Lovers We Choose
  • I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
  • Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures
  • Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in Your Relationship
  • Love Is Letting Go of Fear
  • When the Past Is Present: Healing the Emotional Wounds that Sabotage our Relationships
  • The Art of Forgiving
  • Friendships Don't Just Happen!: The Guide to Creating a Meaningful Circle of GirlFriends
  • The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships
  • Boundaries: Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries
  • No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time