Start by marking “Bow-Wow Bugs a Bug” as Want to Read:
Bow-Wow Bugs a Bug

Bow-Wow Bugs a Bug (Bow-Wow)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Bow-Wow may look like your average terrier. The streets he walks may seem familiar. But just around the corner, things get a little unusual.With nary a word, Mark Newgarden and Megan Montague Cash have created a story about a bold new doggy who goes where no doggy has gone before. With a spring in his step and his tail only occasionally between his legs, Bow-Wow faces down ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bow-Wow Bugs a Bug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bow-Wow Bugs a Bug

An unexpected treasure found in a wordless picture book.

Ages 3-8

I found this book delightful in its simplicity. The bum-sniffing, bug obsessed Bow-Wow leads readers on an adventure through the neighborhood where he encounters all sorts of zany characters. A young child would delight in watching this bug versus dog story unfold.

The comic strip style illustrations are simple, colorful and fun, yet are filled with details to discover that make the story new each time through. The off the wall story
This picture only book is fun and recommended for anyone K-5 who likes a good story or dogs. The frames start off easily enough as a dog wakes up and discovers a flea on his food bowl. Things progress quickly towards a more complicated series of events that will give the story tellers among you plenty of opportunity to embelish their re-telling.

I was particularly taken with the number of expressions given the protagonist and his antics when he encounters another dog just like himself. I use this
(SPL catalog) A wordless picture book about a persistent terrier who spends a day following a bug through his neighborhood.

(Claudia) Bow-Wow, drawn in simple but expressive cartoon-style, varies humorously realistic doggy behavior with delightful fantasy episodes and laugh-out-loud unexpected encounters. Mid-sized. Suitable for pre-K to early elementary children.

(SLJ) Clever plot is funny, quirky, even suspenseful ... best appreciated by youngsters with patience to examine and decode the picture
The Library Lady
Now, if THIS got the Caldecott instead of the usual hipster crap I would love it. Which is why I'm breaking my habit of not giving 5 stars to titles and handing it to this book.

What a book. I liked it from the start and by the time I got to the page with the Dalmation I just gave up and loved it. I am normally NOT a fan of wordless picture books but this one needs no words. Funny, creative with a Warner Brothers sort of sensibility, hand this to your older preschooler, your kindergartener or you
Jul 10, 2008 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: children-and-ya
I do love wordless books, and goshdarn if this isn't an excellent one. Bow-Wow, a yellow dog, follows a little black bug around town, and gets into several surreal situations (including, but not limited to, meeting a GIANT version of himself, and [my daughter's favorite part] running into a pack of GIANT BUGS all chasing tiny dogs!) along the way. There's plenty of meaning and various levels of humor in these bright, bold illustrations -- kids and adults will find plenty to laugh and wonder at.
A marvelous, transcendent tale. Unpredictable, yet not a hot mess as it defies your attempts to make assumptions about where the narrative is going. So what if bugs don't sniff other bugs' rear ends? This wordless book is an instant classic. I haven't been this moved by a work of fiction since I watched Adaptation. in a friend's basement after an all night bender in Atlantic City. The first thing I had to do after finishing it was immediately read it again.
Apr 05, 2012 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents who want a creative "read" for their preschoolers and kindergartners; picture-book lovers
Recommended to Beth by: read for 2008 "Great Books for Kids and Teens"
Adorable, brilliantly creative wordless story of a dog and a bug--and another dog and another bug, and much more. Offers tons of scope for imagination (to quote Anne Shirley/L.M. Montgomery), with enough fascinating bits to view and talk about over and over again for both lapsitters and parents/adults.
This is a wordless picture book and I actually read it to one years old at work the other day. It wasn't hard to come up with the story because I was making it up as I go but it was actually hard to choose what to focus on. There was so much for the kids to look at and so many opportunities to teach them about different things. There illustrations include panels and show a little dog chasing a bug. It introduces him to an identical dog, small dog, and giant dog that is also chasing a bug. It's s ...more
Picture books without words are usually a lot of fun; this one was no exception. In strip after strip Bow-Wow follows an annoying bug all around town. Very entertaining pictures.
Awesome graphic illustrations. No word just picture panels about a dog following his bug around and all the other dogs in the neighborhood doing the same. Super cute and funny.
Make up your own story with this wordless graphic-novel-style book for the youngest readers!
Michelle Sebly
May 30, 2008 Michelle Sebly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of children who are easily bored
* mind opening
* stretching
* alternate realities
Destinee Sutton
Wordless, like a comic book. Funny. I loved it!
Gwen the Librarian
Just really fun!
This wordless book is illustrated in cartoon like style with dark black frames outlining each new picture. Many pages have several illustrations on them, which would give children the opportunity to practice the left to right, top to bottom sequencing of graphic novels and cartoons. The colors are bright and the characters are clearly defined by black lines. There is a map on the verso, which would allow for discussion of neighborhoods and simple mapping skills. Children could illustrate simple ...more
CIP: "A wordless picture book about a persistent terrier who spends a day following a bug through his neighborhood."

Maggie: Cute story about a little dog who cannot seem to rid himself of the bug who has been bothering him. Wonderfully illustrated and laid out in the style of a graphic novel, this book will delight readers aged 5 to 8.

PW: "This wordless sequence of comic panels, the first in a planned Bow-Wow Books series, is an eminently charming and surreal twist on what might otherwise be ju
Jul 19, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love dogs and maybe bugs, too
Super-cute wordless story set over a day for dog Bow-Wow and his bug/beetle/dot/spot who go for an interesting walk about town. There are a lot of fun visual ideas and concepts played with here: size relationships, mirroring and parallels. You wouldn't think a dot could have personality, but Bow-Wow's bug does. Format is picture book moving into graphic novel panes. Very cute. Great for kids and dog owners.
Kristy Breese
What? This is a picture book that portrays a dog following a bug around town. Then the author decides to turn the table around by showing giant bugs following little dogs around town. It seems to illustrate that the dog and bug actually become friends and they enjoyed moving around town. The story begins and ends with the dog in his bed sleeping.

So What? Because this book does not have any words, it allows students to use their cognitive ability to understand what the story is telling the reader
Stephanie Croaning
Clever wordless story that will appeal to young children. There are many unpredictable events and funny scenes that are accessible to children who are not able to read books with words yet. Very enjoyable!
Haley Hunter
I think this was a cute book and had good pictures. I like this kind of art they have in the book. My Nephews liked this book because of the dog. Overall it was a good book.
Mariah Tomo
I did not like how this book did not have words. However, the illustrations of the dog searching for the bug is cute.
Wordless picture book illustrates a dog's adventures as he follows a bug around his neighborhood. Fun!
Witnee Spooner
Even though this book has no words, a child could easily know what is going on in the story.
So surreal. I love that these books surprise me several times per book. The small details are wonderful, too.
Bow-Wow follows a bug that we might be able to assume is a flea. As he walks around following the bug he runs into other bugs and then other dogs following other bugs. Then in the end there were really large bugs following the dogs. While I like the idea that it is wordless I am not sure that kids will understand what is going on with the book. It might have needed a few cues and the end really didn’t make much sense.
Morgan Beveridge
My interpretation of this book is that the bug was a flea. The flea annoyed bow-wow at first but they grew to like each other. I think that Bow-Wow started to like the flea after he sees that the other dogs have a bug too and the flea saw that each bug has a dog. I believe the message behind the book is that everyone has someone that bugs them but it's not worth it dislike one another so to learn to live with each other.
Tan The Man
Apr 15, 2011 Tan The Man marked it as to-read
ijwermeimydfn nhkvgjvgshkjvjkhvcjlgcv hgkjwgl jhkgvc hjg hjtbhltkefhksfjhgkjlfvjgfjfadadwlkwgdlgjbjvjufvjufrjffjfjfj fjfj fjfjfjfjfjf jf jf jf jf jfjfjfjf jfjffjjfjjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjj kj kjmkjmj kj kjk j lolololololol o l o lolo l o lol ol ol ol lo lo lo lool lo

h a ha h a h ah a ha h a ha ha h ah a h a h a ha h a h a h a h a h a h a ha h ah a h a ha h a j o y
Brenna Call
Bow Wow is annoyed by a flea so he chases the flea out of his house and follows this flea around town. I really thought that this was a cute book and it was easy to follow the storyline even though there were not words. The pictures were great. This book could be used to segue early readers into becoming interested in graphic novels.
The Lost Lola
Super cute wordless picture book about Bow Wow following a flea around town and the CRAZINESS he encounters. This book has some surreal moments... Bow Wow runs into a GIANT version of himself, a group of giant bugs chasing tiny dogs, and Bow Wow having a Harpo Marx / Lucy moment. Great book to start young readers into graphic novels.
Wordless, a bit surreal, and sometimes amusing, the book follows a dog through its day as it mostly follows a black dot of a bug. I don't geet how the dogs "bugs" a bug. Many of the individual pieces are quite entertaining, even brilliant, but they don't add up to create a whole. Oh-well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »