Jewish Cooking Boot Camp: The Modern Girl's Guide to Cooking Like a Jewish Grandmother

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Jewish Cooking Boot Camp takes every last ounce of intimidation out of Jewish cooking while serving up a hearty helping of family, culture, and other flavors to savor.
Published August 18th 2009 by Three Forks (first published August 4th 2009)

Cory
This book's blurb claims it "takes every last ounce of intimidation out of Jewish cooking". Personally, however, while I may be a little bewildered by my newly-acquired-by-marriage Jewish culture, I'm a bit past that stage in cooking: molecular gastronomy is intimidating, not Bubbe's noodle kugel. I appreciated the informational tidbits, quotes, and stories of how different real families celebrate holidays, but I'll look elsewhere for actual recipes; Fishbein's Kosher by Design books are a bit m...more
Rachel
Stylish and fun but some of the recipes are a little odd. Ketchup in stuffed cabbage? Cake mixes? Some of the side dishes (dill carrots etc) barely needed a recipe. I expected more from a cookbook that both invoked grandmothers and didn't mention that it was a "short cut" cookbook.
Catherine Woodman
This is a good book to give to somebody who is just entering Jewish culture, and wants to have the basic recipes that would identify them as "a member of the tribe" and to have some basic knowledge about what things mean--like 'kosher', 'matzah', 'keeping passover' and so on.
Roseann
Great recipes.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2012
Pierre
Pierre marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2012
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
May 08, 2011
Nancy
Nancy added it
Apr 16, 2011
Kamran
Kamran added it
Sep 21, 2010
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2010
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2009
Laurel
Laurel added it
Dec 15, 2009
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2009
Jen Chau
Jen Chau marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2009
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2009