An Unacceptable Death (Munch Mancini, #8)

An Unacceptable Death (Munch Mancini #8)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  12 reviews
One thing about Miranda Mancini that has never changed is the name everyone knows her by---Munch. But the child abused by her father and sent into prostitution, the young girl who stole money because she couldn't do without her drugs, the woman who spent awful months in prison---that person no longer exists. Instead, Munch Mancini is the surrogate "mother" of a friend's lo...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Minotaur Books

Kathleen Hagen
An Unacceptable Death, by Barbara Seranella, a-minus, Narrated by Anna Fields, Produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

While this is the 8th book in the series, Blackstone recorded it, and Audible Inc., bought it, in 2006. This means that everyone reading audible books read the last book in the series first. Barbara Seranella wrote no more Munch Mansini books because she died in 2007. The first seven were finally produced by Audible Inc. in April, 2014. I’m hoping that the 8th...more
LJ
AN UNACCEPTABLE DEATH (Amateur Sleuth/Mechanic-Santa Monica, CA-Cont) – VG
Seranella, Barbara – 8th in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 2006-Hardcover
“Munch” Mancini is clean, sober, raising her daughter and about to get married to undercover policeman “Rico” Chacón. Rico is killed in a drug bust and Munch told he’d been killed by officers as a duty cop. But Munch doesn’t believe it and, in working to find out the truth, finds herself between two different enforcement agencies and two drug dealers, none...more
Spuddie
#8 and final Munch Mancini mystery. Munch, now clean and sober for nine years and living a stable life with her adopted daughter Asia, is enjoying planning her wedding to police detective Rico Chacon, when he is shot to death by other cops in a drug bust gone wrong. Among allegations that Rico was a dirty cop, Munch stuffs her grief and despair to the back of her soul while she lets her practical side take over and sets out to prove that he wasn't.

She believes Rico was killed because of her--sh...more
Maddy
RATING: 4.75
PROTAGONIST: Munch Mancini, auto mechanic
SETTING: 1980s California
SERIES: #8 of 8
SUMMARY: Munch has come a long way from the lost biker chick iimmersed in a world of drugs and addiction. She's got her own home, has adopted a child, has a steady job and is about to get married. Unfortuntately, her perfect world falls apart when her fiance, Rico, is caught in the crossfire of a drug bust. This is one of the best books in the series, heart wrenching yet life affirming. Munch remains a u...more
Shonna Froebel
This is a Munch Mancini mystery, the first I've read. Munch has a checkered past, including drug and alcohol abuse and prostitution. She's cleaned up her act and now works as a mechanic (a job she is good at and respected for). She is short, only five feet tall. She has a daughter, left in her care by a dying friend and a fiance who is a policeman.
Here, the world as she knows it falls apart when her fiance is killed by fellow policeman and accused of being a dirty cop. She digs into the events s...more
Nancy
Sep 10, 2013 Nancy added it
Shelves: audible
Munch (aka Miranda) Mancini is a person that has been down at the bottom but has managed to turn her life around to include a good job, a finance (Rico a police officer) and a child that loves and depends on her. Just when she's ready to say I do happiness is snatched away and she must deal with what happened to him and setting things to rights. Would be interesting to know more about the back story.
Linda
This is the first Seranella novel I’ve sampled, and I’ve been most pleasantly surprised by its quality. She’s a smart, talented writer who approaches crime from a different perspective, that of someone who once fell to rock bottom but now is doing the best she can to raise her adopted little girl. Munch is no PI, but she does know her way around the seamier side of LA, and her instincts are trustworthy.
Mindex
I picked this up on a whim at the library, read a couple pages and it looked interesting. Figured it would be ok, just a filler book. I was wrong, this was a really good read. Lots of twists and turns and you feel like you have it figured out, and then Boom! it changes again.

I will definitely keep my eye out for more books by this author.
Trey
THE LAST MUNCH NOVEL EVER !!! What a shame. one of my favorite all time characters. She loses her fiance and then the trouble insures. Was he a cop or a dirty cop working with a drug lord. Very little Mace St. John in this novel. So sorry to see Serenalla pass away.
Barbara
Intriguing protagonist "Munch" former prostitute, druggie, motorcycle chick gone straight, become a mechanic and in love with an undercover cop who is killed early in the novel. I'd read others in this series.
Ruth
Audio version. Must have been abridged as I think a few of the details got lost in the ending. Narrator wasn't my favorite reader, but characters where interesting.
Pioden
Feb 06, 2008 Pioden marked it as to-read
Munch Mancini Bk 8
Robin
Robin added it
Apr 22, 2014
Debby
Debby marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Pam
Pam added it
Feb 09, 2014
Tracey Berchok
Tracey Berchok marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Wkd
Wkd added it
May 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Barbara Seranella was born in Santa Monica, California and grew up in Pacific Palisades. After a restless childhood that included running away from home at 14, joining a hippie commune in the Haight, and riding with outlaw motorcycle clubs, she decided to settle down and do something normal so she became an auto mechanic.

She worked at an Arco station in Sherman Oaks for five years and then a Texac...more
More about Barbara Seranella...
No Human Involved (Munch Mancini, #1) No Offense Intended (Munch Mancini, #2) Unwanted Company (Munch Mancini, #3) Unfinished Business (Munch Mancini, #4) Unwilling Accomplice (Munch Mancini, #7)