Start by marking “Southampton Row (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #22)” as Want to Read:
Southampton Row (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #22)

Southampton Row (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #22)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,323 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The twenty-second bestselling novel in Anne Perry's acclaimed Thomas Pitt series
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published October 7th 2002 by Headline (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Southampton Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southampton Row

Laura Edwards
Disappointing. Charlotte has become an afterthought. I love this series, but after reading the last two, I'm not sure I like the direction it's heading in. Charlotte is not even mentioned on the dust jacket to the next book. I love Thomas, but I also like having different perspective through Charlotte. The Pitt novels started out as a mystery series featuring Thomas and Charlotte. It seems to be turning into spy novels focusing mainly on Thomas. Unfortunately, not looking forward to the next boo...more
CD
An entertaining if at times a bit confusing read. The storyline is farfetched at points combining politics, the sensation of the Spiritualist movement and murder most foul. Even from the historical fiction point of view the way Spiritualism is presented is too dramatic for it to be a 'meaningful' element. This is allowing too for liberties associated with dramatic license. A minor complaint probably as it is fiction!

Popular writers of this type, regardless of the genre they excel at, usually are...more
Sep 03, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Thomas &Charlotte Pitt
It is a given that I am a fan of Anne Perry. That said, suffice it to say, this installment of the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series did not disappoint. Pitt has been called in to covertly look into the activities of a very popular political candidate named Charles Voisey who belongs to a secret society called the Inner Circle. This character and the Inner Society make their first appearance in "The Whitechapel Conspiracy". They have designs to overthrow the monarchy. A popular spiritualist is mu...more
Amelia-Irene
In this book of the series, Thomas and his wife,Charlotte, are getting ready to go on a much needed vacation. Thomas' job has changed since his last case, and they have to get used to this next change. Unfortunately, Thomas is called to a new case before they can leave, so Charlotte and the kids leave with Grace their girl of all trades, and Thomas stays behind. He has to find out what the political scene will be with the vote that is coming up and also has to be careful as his enemy for the las...more
Kristen
If you enjoy murder, mystery and the Victorian era, then Anne Perry is the author for you!!

In this outing, the intrepid Inspector Pitt has been re-assigned to Special Branch as retaliation by Sir Charles Voisey, whom Pitt thwarted in an attempt to become so powerful as to make England a Democracy under his own leadership.

Pitt is asked to solve a murder with highly political implications, while dealing with the appearance that he has, among other things, caused the suicide death of a much beloved...more
Alex Telander
From an author who has published thirty-three books in her past comes Southampton Row, this is the story of the end of Queen Victoria’s reign in old Victorian England. There is an election coming up, one in which the Tories seem set to twin. The group known as the Inner Circle, a secret society of men sworn to support each other above all other loyalties, will stop at nothing to seize one of the seats in Parliament, their first step towards completing their diabolical ambitions. And the Tory can...more
Rachel
I had never read an Anne Perry novel before, but I saw it at the library and on impulse decided to give it a try.
Reading this book was an absolute pleasure. Thoroughly enjoyed the characters, and it reminded me how much I love detective novels. I am looking forward to starting at the beginning with Thomas and Charlotte and reading through this whole series. Highly recommend to my friends who like historical fiction and/or detective novels.
Millie
Jun 17, 2012 Millie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Mystery readers
Recommended to Millie by: no one
It took me a while to really get into this book even though the action started right away. The murder mystery was good and well set up and was only part of the story. We actually have a nemesis for Thomas Pitt, Charles Voisey and this is round 2. I really loved their interactions and hope to see more of them battling it out. And I was glad that she brought the character of Samuel Tellman back!.

This story was very good and Ms. Perry as always does an awesome job with her writing and drawing you i...more
Athena
This is one of the most dull books I have ever read by Anne Perry. The Monk series are much more interesting. When a medium Maude Lamont is found dead in her home, asphyxiated by cheesecloth and egg white, the last three people that attended the seance the night before are all suspected of murdering her. One of the guests is the wife of a political candidate and the elections are coming up, so there is a potential risk for his position. Unfortunately, there is no supernatural elements at work he...more
Rebecca Heim
I love Anne Perry's Thomas and Charlotte mysteries. The detail of late 1800 England with its curious mores and obstacles is always well done. This particular book was mostly Thomas and I missed the quick tongue and even quicker mind of Charlotte. Still a fun diversion.
Tomi
I have come to really enjoy British crime fiction, and Anne Perry is one of the masters of the art. This book, featuring Thomas and Charlotte Pitt, includes British politics, a dash of spiritualism, and of course the devious Inner Circle. A good read!
Gayle
I would have given this book 4 stars except for the fact that I really felt I would have benefitted by reading the previous book about Whitechapel before reading this book. Felt a little out of the loop. That being said, this was an excellent novel, nicely woven.
Nancy
I like Perry's books but this one (an audibook) felt as though it was an entr'acte between the previous book and the one that follows (although I have not read either one). It was much shorter (5 CDs rather than the usual minimum of 11 for a full-length novel. I referred to and sometimes depended on events is a previous novel and the ending felt somewhat unfinished. That said, the story was interesting (who killed the psychic who might have been blackmailing her customers) and showed a solid kno...more
Marla
I like that Tellman really got to do something in this one and that we're seeing more of him in general.
Elise Dubois
Okay, this is the first time in this series that I just couldn't do it. This book failed the 50 page challenge. I am returning it to the library more or less unread. Will not continue with the series.
Marian
Sep 14, 2014 Marian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who ikes a good whodunnit
As always Anne Perry & Inpsector Pitt provide lots entertainment for a slow, wet weekend.
Scot
22nd in the series. The power of Charles Voisey and the Inner Circle now threatens not just Pitt's career, but the very safety of Charlotte and the children. Collaborations with several supporting characters who have aided Charlotte and Thomas in the past are needed in this go-round. The allure and practice of spiritualism and the fad of seances in late Victorian England provide a Gothic touch that is historically accurate in the reliable style one becomes accustomed to when reading the works of...more
Brenda
Brenda added it
Feb 11, 2014
oOSarahOo
This was a good enough read but I didn't enjoy it as much as other Thomas Pitt mysteries I read in the past. The main problem is that this is a sequel to "The Whitechapel Conspiracy", which I haven't read. I think I would have understood the characters and background better had I read it before "Southampton Row". I was also disappointed that Charlotte & Gracie were sent on holiday and I did miss their presence a lot. Still, it was en enjoyable read and I do love Anne Perry's writing style:)
Geneve
Dec 03, 2008 Geneve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Geneve by: Caprece
Best so far! I really love these books, and now that there is a conspiracy thread that continues from book to book, they are better than ever. This one had the most suspense so far, the most loyalty, and I found myself more attached to the characters than I have before. But a big *Note* - if you are not reading the series in order, I would read at least The Whitechapel Conspiracy before this one to give you the background you need.
Again, I'm not really a fan of mysteries, but I chose this book anyway because I needed something safe to listen to during a long drive. It was better than A River in the Sky, but maybe because it wasn't as long. It is also from in a series where I haven't read the previous books, but it did keep my interest better though. I guess I like Anne Perry better than Elizabeth Peters and Thomas Pitt more than Amelia Peabody.
Sooze
This is the first book I've read in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series. Knowledge of previous events is not required but I imagine I would have given the book a higher rating. I was a little lost when it came to the Inner Circle and the characters' previous interactions. Set in Victorian England, the culture and politics will be interesting enough for me to read other books in the series.
Barbara
Wow. #23 Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel. This one is just waiting on my home book shelf for some lazy day reading. I always loved Anne Perry and actually she would be someone that I would like to meet. She has a website. http://www.anneperry.net/ , and she was in Paris last fall for a book signing. Wouldn't that have been lovely.
Kelley Blanks
This books continues the confrontation between Thomas and Charles Voissey and the Inner Circle. Voissey is running for Parliament and Pitt is assigned to watch Voissey and make sure that nothing untoward occurs.

Not sure where Perry is going with this Special Branch assignment, but I'll reserve judgement for now.
Mary Barleycorn
I love Anne Perry and have read all of this series!
Donna
This entry in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series includes a focus on spiritualism and seances as well as a Parliamentary general election. I liked it, but Charlotte was mostly out of the story and I like her interaction with Thomas, so that was a bit of a let down.
Sue Jellum
Not her best, I think she is overdoing the inner circle story. And if Voisey is so twisted, he needs to get what is coming to him. Pretty ridiculous that he and his sister can murder an innocent man, and the authorities know it, with no repercussions.
Gail
This is the one about the potentially crooked election.
Tori
Book #22 in the series: Pitt is again removed from Bow Street and placed in the Special Branch in an attempt to prevent a dangerous enemy from winning a seat in Parliament.

Read if you like mysteries and/or historical fiction.
Jewell
I liked this one. Not much Charlotte but that was ok. I enjoyed revisiting with Emily and I was glad to see Isadora again. Poor Pitt, I hope they allow him to settle in his career soon. Must be very unnerving for him.
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Master of Souls (Sister Fidelma, #16)
  • Brother Cadfael's Penance (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #20)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate...more
More about Anne Perry...
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)