Start by marking “The Cave Man” as Want to Read:
The Cave Man

The Cave Man

The Cave Man is an extraordinary and moving portrait of a man brutalized in Mao’s China.

Ja Feng is contained within a three-foot by four-and-one-half foot solitary confinement cell in a prison camp. He has survived this punishment for nine months, a period of time that has forced him to question his most basic human faculties.

The Cave Man follows Ja Feng once he is release
Published December 1st 2009 by Two Dollar Radio

To ask other readers questions about The Cave Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cave Man

Jason Pettus
Mar 01, 2010 Jason Pettus rated it it was amazing
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

Xiaoda Xiao's The Cave Man is the third book this year I've now reviewed by the increasingly impressive Ohio small press Two Dollar Radio, and I have to say that it establishes a pretty consistent track record for the publisher -- like the others (Joshua Mohr's Some Things That Meant the World to Me and S
Amanda
Jan 06, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amanda by: Josh
This semi-autobiographical novel is powerful but succinct and accomplishes much in its 180 pages. I've read my share of Solzhenitsyn and was expecting a similar treatment of the dehumanizing prison camp experience. This book, however, is more about what happens to the main character, Ja Feng, after he is released back into society. He faces pity, discrimination, accusations of madness, and a multitude of personal torments. I love the "to-the-point" style and third-person narrative that proves yo ...more
David
Jan 17, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-lit
This is a wonderful, it is beautifully written. It tells a sad story of life in China from the Cultural Revolution to the mid 80's ( my guess), but will it is sad and depressing it is at the same time warm and uplifting. The main character is wonderfully drawn and I feel as if I have known him as a friend for many years...and only wish really knew hom and could have helped him......
Chris Ellis
Dec 09, 2016 Chris Ellis rated it liked it
A rather bleak glimpse of the life of a man labeled a political dissident by the Chinese government and the damage done to him by his stay in a small solitary confinement cell.

Interesting enough to keep me reading, but a bit of a downer.
KristenR
Jun 12, 2011 KristenR rated it it was amazing
The thought of 9 months in a solitary 4 foot cell is horrifying. That is how this book starts out. Ja Feng survives this wrongful imprisonment and is released into society. But how does one reenter normal society after an ordeal like this?

I highly recommend The Cave Man.

René Clausen Nielsen
Dec 27, 2010 René Clausen Nielsen rated it really liked it
Although the language isn't at all times exactly an exiting read, I really like the story and the trademark Chinese way of presenting the characters as first and foremost products of their conflicts with a top-down system trying to make them fit in to roles they cannot accept.
Matthew Pritchard
Jun 02, 2014 Matthew Pritchard rated it liked it
Tough read. Bleak. Kafkaesque
Dan
Feb 20, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
gotta stay hydrated
Toula
Feb 10, 2011 Toula rated it really liked it
This is an extremely difficult book to read. The suffering, the loss of family, friends, country is overwhelming..... is this what life is life in oppressive countries???
Matt Parbs
Matt Parbs rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Vanessa Dudley
Vanessa Dudley rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Steven Shane
Steven Shane rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2009
Jason Jordan
Jason Jordan rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2010
Wayne
Wayne rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2012
Claire Siobhan
Claire Siobhan rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Fred Km
Fred Km rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Gabriel
Mar 19, 2010 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Perseverance is a kind of madness.
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
David Johnson
David Johnson rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2011
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Nicole T
Nicole T rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Ji Hyo
Ji Hyo rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
May 25, 2010
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013