Minx (Splendid Trilogy, #3)

Minx (Splendid #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  7,205 ratings  ·  282 reviews

It takes a minx to tempt a rogue...Beautiful and feisty Henrietta Barrett has never followed the dictates of society. She manages her elderly guardian′s estate, prefers to wear breeches rather than dresses, and answers to the unlikely name of Henry. But when her guardian passes away, her beloved home falls into the hands of a distant cousin.

And it takes a rogue to tame he

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Minx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minx

Jenny E
Re-read December 10-11, 2012 - just re-read this book, and I don't know what the hell I was thinking!! Probably a three star book for me this time. The conflict was annoying and there wasn't enough action, too much talk!

------------------------------

January 2012: I think this is officially my favorite Julia Quinn book! I LOVED this book so much. I could not stop laughing throughout.

These two characters, Henry and Dunford, will definitely go down in my all-time favorite couple category for sure....more
valee
Well, this was a book I really, really enjoyed. The beginning was terrific. So much fan, and the main couple is great. The hero is super entertaining and charming, while the heroine has a very strong personality and a great sense of humor. Both of them together share an amazing chemistry which will make you wanna read one page right after the other. I loved this book, loved that there were not stupid reasons for them to be apart as in other books from this author were the characters fight becaus...more
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Belle clapped her hands together. How delightful! Dunford had just come into an unexpected inheritance. She rather hoped it was something good. One of her friends had just unwillingly inherited thirty-seven cats.

This novel started out as the perfect lazy night in. It was thoroughly entertaining and Julia Quinn has once again managed to include a few subtle barbs at her own profession of romance novel writing.

“How about this. La, sir, but you should not call me sweetheart.”
“It’s a start, but if
Tiko Telia
*sigh*
it doent need any more comments...
or maybe it does...
i laughed so much :D
dont listen to anyone who says that bridgertones are julia quinns best books...
those are truly fantastic but this one... omg... it was certainly no less fantastic...
you could say that this book had 3 parts
1st was veeery funny and i loled a lot :D
2nd was funny too but not as much as first and was much more full of actions( i guess it begins when they go to london)
3rd part was soo sweet and lovely...
s...more
Linds
Apr 06, 2010 Linds rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Georgia Heyer's These Old Shades
After being underwhelmed by Quinn's Brighter than the Sun this book was such a pleasant surprise. I do love a good historical romance!

Dunford, a happy bachelor inherits a title and an estate unexpectedly from a distant cousin. When he arrives, he finds that the estate being overseen by a "distant poor relation." Henrietta is an odd, charming woman who runs the estate like a man, wearing pants and working hard.

Henrietta hates Dunsford on principal. She fears he will usurp her after all her hard w...more
Pepa
En realidad 3.5

No es de los mejores de la Quinn, pero tiene algunas escenas divertidas, sobre todo al principio. Me ha gustado el personaje de ella, aunque engaña un poco y pensamos que es una mujer independiente, en el fondo le falta seguridad. Un personaje complejo.
Como la mayoría de los de esta mujer, el enamoramiento es muy rápido
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
And with this book, I say goodbye to yet another series by one of my favorite historical romance authors. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Was it life changing? Not exactly. But it certainly was enjoyable, or perhaps I'm biased because it's Julia Quinn we're talking about here, and let's face it, I'm never letting go of anything by her.

The story starts off just around the same time as the previous one has ended, where our hero Dunford -whose first name is a well known mystery- receives news that a distant r...more
Lori McD
I enjoyed many facets of this book, but I can't say that I enjoyed the book as a whole. The quirky, funny, witty, falling-in-love parts were almost overshadowed by TBM pain & angst. And the back-and-forth inner dialogs that both Dunstan and Henry (Henrietta) have with themselves became endlessly maddening.

Dunstan and Henry are perfect for one another. And perhaps discovering that so early on in the story is what made the rest of it seem to drag. Because, after all, Henry is a little miss fro...more
Annie
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Пълно ревю - Click, click :)

Следпрочитно:
Както бе споменато предпрочитно, имах големи очаквания за тази книга и с бях подготвила за един грандиозен финал на трилогията. Още от анотацията ми хареса идеята за малката дивачка, която иска да бие шута на Дън. Даже се бях нагласила за нещо а ла „Укротяване на опърничавата“ (което със сигурност е най- любимото ми Шекспирово нещо).
Но в това отношение останах разочарована. Не получих своята Беатриче.
Хенри наистина е сладка героиня, особено...more
Anna D.
You know how sometimes you watch a movie because you’re favorite actor is in it? That’s how I feel about this book. Dunford is my favorite Quinn hero - based on his role in all three books of the Splendid series and his cameo in How to Marry a Marquis - but Minx is not my favorite Quinn book. Don’t get me wrong, this book still earned my 5 star rating. It's quite entertaining and a recommended read especially for Quinn fans. I loved 90% of the book (see my dislike below for the other 10%)

Becaus...more
Dawn
I have liked all of Julia Quinn's books that I have read. But this one really touched my heart.

We have already come to know Dunford from the previous books. He is a charmer and a rake. Determined never to marry, he inherits a title and a small estate in Cornwall from a very distant unknown relative. He also finds out he has become the guardian of Henrietta, known as Henry, who had been taken in by the previous owners when she was 8. She was the niece of the lady of the estate who had died six y...more
Regina
I liked this much, much more than the first book!

Dunford was, well, a charming character. I've wanted to read about him from the moment I encountered him in Emma and Alex's tale. Henry was not a typical heroine and I just enjoyed the way her relationship with Dunford developed, especially during the first few chapters. Their banter was quick and easy and natural, and I loved that they didn't immediately fall for each other.

Perhaps the only thing that irked me a bit was how Henry acted in the la...more
Kimberly
This was the third in a series focusing on William Dunford- a strong character in other two novels "Splendid" and "Dancing at Midnight." The heroine is Henrietta Barrett, "Henry" a charming character whose been living in the country managing a farm. William becomes her guardian, friend and lover. Sweet story but Henry was TOO Insecure- didn't like that. Also, everything was too perfect that the mistress mistake seemed too obvious as a way to cause tension. Most of the story, however, was fun and...more
Nath
Brittany
Good romance all around. Had a few twists and turns to make it a little unconventional. I really liked Henry's personality and it's refreshing when you read a lot of romances with boring typical Victorian era women! I also liked the Guardian aspect. I haven't read a book yet where the guardian falls in love with his ward. Shocking I know, considering all the romance books I read. Anyway, great third story in the Splendid trilogy. You see the other characters from the first two books. As always w...more
Amber
I would have given this book a solid 4.5 if it hadn't been for the last 60 pages or so. The last quarter of the books is worth MAYBE one star and has some pretty problematic elements. It's like the author wrote this sweet, wonderful love story and then went "Oh, I still have to write 50 more pages! How do I fuck this relationship up?". Then she had to toss in a few more pages to resolve the idiotic problem she created.
I really enjoy Julia Quinn overall, she creates engaging characters and her d...more
Artemis
I completely ADORE this novel! The female protagonist is your earlier feminist, she's cute, daring and just so lovable! I immediately fell in love with our leading man, Dunford! I really enjoyed the chemistry between our two main characters. I got so wrapped up in this book I didn't want to put it down. I wanted a change from PNR and I am so glad I picked out this Historical Romance. It was sweet and has it's fair share of squeal worthy scenes. Quinn has woven characters with substance and the p...more
Susanne
I loved Henry. I loved this fresh, unusual historical romance. It was utterly delightful and I loved seeing Henry blossom into a swan. But I don't like stupid misunderstandings that can be easily resolved. Otherwise, this would have been a sparkling five star.

I am a sucker for Pygmalion themed books and it was a pure delight following Henry's journey from independent tomboy to equally independent Incomparable beauty. I loved loved the interaction with the ton. And I loved the side characters and...more
Tirza Horvath
Wow, this book is WOW!
 photo 493434_zpsd8bf1a5d.gif

I already really liked Dunford in the previous two books, however in the beginning slightly different, so I fresumed that I might not like the book as much as I have predicted. However, did turn out to be amazingly amazing, interesting and romantic.
 photo 714025_zps021152e3.gif

The last 100 pages are an even bigger wow! It was intense in a way, but not too much to the point where it was bothring!

photo tumblr_lpbzcuEJJI1qk2qp4o1_500_zps8b99c5c1.jpg
Red Austin
You know you have read a beautiful and special book when:
One: You have cried incessantly for more than one chapter;
Two: You can feel what the hero and heroine felt whether feeling of sadness, betrayal, and guilt or the joy, love, and faith that bubbles up inside them;
Lastly: When you are willing to give a novel a million stars if possile, just to express how much you loved what you read.

Certainly, certainly SPLENDID!

Lord William Dunford was one of the most sought-after bachelors alongside the Du...more
Kate
This book started off really well (if things were a bit repetitive) and about halfway through completely went off the rails. I dislike misunderstanding books, and this misunderstanding was so patently ridiculous that I just couldn't handle it. We'd already dealt with a conflict from one misunderstanding, and then tacking on another just made the end of the book miserable. It's a shame, too, because I quite liked the Henry and Dunford of the beginning of the book.

The writing was not at all what I...more
Adlina Haezah
Kemaren udah nulis panjang-panjang dan kehapus hiks. Jadi sekarang kayaknya bakal pendek aja deh secara aku udah nyaris lupa rasanya gara-gara langsung baca novel selanjutnya hahahha.

Dunford sebenernya udah bikin aku pingin tau ceritanya dari sebelum-sebelumnya,secara dia itu karakter pendukung yang sangat memukau, sangat baik, dan kayaknya orangnya supel, tapi kok nggak nikah-nikah? Emang cewek apa sih yang dia inginkan? Padahal dia kan udah ngicipin semua cewek cantik? Ya kan? TUh, dunford ngg...more
Lady Allison
Minx=my new favorite pet name!!!

Dunford is truly one of my favorite HR heroes & so I was slightly disappointed with the storyline in this one - although I think his heroine was absolutely perfect for him! The misunderstanding plot wasn't my favorite though. :(

I don't think this was the best of JQ's series, but certainly worth reading!
CrazyPenguinLady
This book was perfect, right until the author decided to employ the Big Misunderstanding a dozen times in a row. A very enjoyable read, but it would've been a lot better if the last fourth hadn't been so predictable.
Oleta Blaylock
As I have said in previous reviews Ms. Quinn is a wonderful writer even in these earlier books. I have always enjoyed her work and will always recommend her to those that like historical romance. That being said if I could I would have given with 3.5 stars instead for the 4. The main reason is that I don't enjoy reading the "big misunderstanding" plot line stories. I know that there isn't that many ways to write and story and that the author sometimes doesn't have a choice in the way the charact...more
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Recommended To Read For you all fans of Historical Romance... Everything has package here... Romance, Comedy, something touching your heart... You can find everything here...

Must Read!!!

Love Dunford!!!!

Sabrina Jeffries
Not only is JQ enormously funny, but her heroines are always tremendously likeable and this one is no exception. This book made me laugh a lot, but also made me cry and that's no small feat, believe me.
Robin
William Dunford is shocked to learn he has inherited a title, property, and ward. On his visit to his new home in Cornwall, he finds Henrietta Barrett to be very unique. She single-handedly manages the estate, wears men's clothing, and calls herself "Henry". She's also afraid Dunford will try to take her home away from her, so she decides to drive him away instead.

This book had a fantastic start. Henry comes up with all sorts of plans to make Dunford think that country life is not for him. I fou...more
Sandra
It takes a minx to tempt a rogue . . . Henrietta Barrett has never followed the dictates of society. She manages her elderly guardian's remote Cornwall estate, wears breeches instead of frocks, and answers to the unlikely name of Henry. But when her guardian passes away, her beloved home falls into the hands of a distant cousin. . . . And it takes a rogue to tame her William Dunford, London's most elusive bachelor, is stunned to learn that he's inherited property, a title . . . and a ward bent o...more
  • Where's My Hero?  (Gamblers, #3 / Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5 / Splendid, #3.5)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Griffin Family, #2)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
  • Pleasure for Pleasure (Essex Sisters, #4)
  • The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7)
  • One Kiss From You (Switching Places, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an...more
More about Julia Quinn...
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)

“You don't always have to kiss a lot of frogs to recognize a prince when you find one

-Henrietta Barett”
112 likes
“Sometimes Hen...I think I would give my life just for one of your smiles.” 66 likes