Start by marking “Sick as a Parrot (PI Grace Smith, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sick as a Parrot (PI Grace Smith, #5)

Sick as a Parrot (PI Grace Smith #5)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Adopted at birth, Hanna Conti attempts to trace her family. She turns up a mother who,20 years earlier, was convicted of murder. Convinced that her mother is innocent, Hannah hires PI Grace Smith to prove it. Grace uncovers the story of the very messy murder of Janet Hepburn, a teacher at St. Martin’s Comprehensive, but there are a lot of people who’d rather she stopped di ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Orion Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sick as a Parrot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sick as a Parrot

Eero
May 11, 2015 Eero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now read two books in this series. In both Grace goes to meet someone alone and gets tied up while the bad guys discuss how to kill her, and in both she, while resourceful, has only partial success in freeing herself. Coincidence or a regular feature?

The plot is again tricky, but the author plays fairly with the reader. Being a private eye novel this is not like an Ellery Queen mystery, where the author could at some point announce that all the necessary clues have been given. In fact, th
Cassidy
Apr 28, 2015 Cassidy rated it really liked it
I usually stick to American writers. Most of the British writers that I have read tend to be more verbose than I like. Not to mention the challenge of learning (almost) another language in the process. This book was a pleasant surprise. The writing was relatively concise and flowed well. Even the British slang that peppered the text was easily understood based on context. The story moved along at a great pace, with interesting twists and turns along the way as Grace tried to determine what reall ...more
Kathryn
Apr 08, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
The beautiful weather over the last couple of days gave me a great excuse to sit in the garden and read!

Really enjoyed this book, I've read others in the series, and I'm just about to start on the next one! Shame there aren't any more, as I love Grace Smith's character!
Kenneth Zepplin
Difficult to read

I find books the are written in the old English language are hard to read as I am always trying to figure out what the author means. Takes the joy out of reading the book.
Roland Clarke
Apr 26, 2015 Roland Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Quirky characters - including a parrot - made this an amusing read. And the mystery kept me reading with all its twists and side steps. Enjoyable mix of humour and grit."
David Gilchrist
Apr 25, 2015 David Gilchrist rated it really liked it
The new title "Prime Suspect" makes no sense, I really enjoyed this book, plenty of humour and a good story line with Grace Smith PI and an alcoholic parrot.
Toni
May 13, 2014 Toni rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Andy
a little clunky, but some good twists and likeable character's.
Endeavour Press
Apr 07, 2015 Endeavour Press rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is published by Endeavour Press.
Jessica
Apr 10, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Stephanie Plum fans
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoy this author. I agree that her style is similar to Janet Evanovich, so if you enjoy funny mysteries give this one a try! My only issue is that I was a little confused by the ending, but what a great ride it was!
Tracy
Oct 21, 2010 Tracy rated it liked it
really enjoyed this character and the story has some good twists as you go. Perfect modern mystery with a slightly accidental detective who manages to work it all out in the end!
Shirley
Mar 28, 2011 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Like this author--lots of humor and love the setting being in England. Good plot and reasonable character depictions as well.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback

Excellent stuff. Liz Evans gets better with every book. More comments later...

Cathy
Apr 16, 2007 Cathy rated it liked it
If you like the Stephanie Plum books (by Evanovich) you will like this writer.
Rosina
Dec 31, 2009 Rosina rated it it was ok
A bit overly long, and attempts to be too coy, but a fun read.
Highjenks
Mar 28, 2008 Highjenks rated it really liked it
HIlarious! I couldn't stop laughing.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
The best yet in the series!
Karen
Jun 09, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
4.25/5
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
anon88
anon88 rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Eve Andrews
Eve Andrews marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Ellen Mellor
Ellen Mellor marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
sarah
sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Also writes as Patricia Grey
More about Liz Evans...

PI Grace Smith (6 books)
  • Who Killed Marilyn Monroe? (PI Grace Smith, #1)
  • JFK Is Missing! (PI Grace Smith, #2)
  • Don't Mess with Mrs In-Between (PI Grace Smith, #3)
  • Barking! (PI Grace Smith, #4)
  • Cue the Easter Bunny (PI Grace Smith, #6)