Start by marking “Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp” as Want to Read:
Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp

Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp (Blossom Culp #3)

It's Halloween, 1914. Teenage psychic Blossom Culp sneaks into the house where the rest of her class is having a party -- and that's when everything goes haywire. Suddenly Blossom is hurled into a time warp. Her psychic powers have found a way to send her into the future -- our time. But will they be able to send her back?
Published April 23rd 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp

Maggie
Jan 09, 2011 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book of Peck's Bluff City books, starring the fabulous Blossom Culp. It's also the weakest of the four. Though there are some wonderfully humorous scenes, highlighting Peck's fine comic writing, the plot and character development mostly made me scratch my head. This book, and the major characters, really needed some development before this book was written. The book had several great possibilities, mostly unrealized.

This book does, however, give Madame Culp more stage time and
Katie van Langen
This book is so funny! Richard Peck always writes hilarious books and I would recommend his books to anyone. In this book the main character is a misfit fortune teller named blossom who has the ability to travel in time.
I was constantly laughing and I love Blossom and her originality. She is a tough girl who is honest and very decieving at the same time. Great book.
Abby
Jul 09, 2014 Abby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably the one that will feel most dated.
Teadragon
Jun 19, 2017 Teadragon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for that 9 to 10 year old age.
Camille Stanford
Blossom is a unique and stubborn girl with the ability to see the past. However, when she sneaks into a house her mother told her not to go to, everything goes wrong and she is sent into the future, from 1914 to present day. Though she makes a friend, everything has changed, and Blossom wants to go back home to her own time.

An alright read to pass the time, though the main characters are certainly unique. Blossom's mother is a fortune-teller, and Blossom seems to be following in her mother's foo
Emily
Blossom and Alexander are entering high school, and the entire freshman class prepares a haunted house for the Halloween festival. Blossom's mother tells her not to enter the house where the festival is being held, and she's not exactly the type to obey. So she blackmails Alexander into checking out the house, and suddenly finds herself... in the future. The 1980s, befriending a boy named Jeremy who for some reason drew her Gift to him. How will she get home? Not my favorite in this series, but ...more
Melissa
Finally managed to get through the third book in Richard Peck's Blossom Culp series. It DOES NOT compare to the storytelling of the first two. It did have quite a few humorous moments, which made me snicker out loud. However, most of it was just marginally good. I give it three stars because of all the funny parts, but if you are expecting it to be as great as the first two, you will be disappointed. I am still looking forward to picking up the last book in the series at the library tomorrow...
Sahar Siddiqi
May 21, 2011 Sahar Siddiqi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, as with every other book in the series. But there were a few things that annoyed me. Alexander went back to avoiding her, just like in the second book. And the book was too short.

Other than that, the book was awesome! Very amusing indeed. Blossom, just as always, walks to the beat of her own drum. Not to mention that she drags Alexander into all her little adventures (Why are they STILL not together? WHYYYYY????)

I'm really eager to read the next and last book in the series, ca
hpboy13
Jan 23, 2017 hpboy13 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, tetralogy
Blossom Culp is a delightful heroine, wryly observing the weird world around her as only a world-weary kid can. It's amazing that this book, written in the '80s and set in the 1910s, is still totally relevant and relatable in the 2010s - some things about childhood never change. That said, Blossom's detour into the future was clunky and largely pointless, but I didn't care because this was just a fun fast read.
Leisa
Apr 03, 2015 Leisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed the Blossom Culp books since I was a teenager, so rereading them is like visiting an old friend. The 1980s sections of the book are laughable in retrospect (oddly enough, they don't even seem real...I don't remember people talking, dressing, or eating like that!) and painful to read. The only interesting part is meeting Letty Shambaugh's granddaughter! The 1914 parts are, as usual, a lot of fun.
Maya Rock
Apr 29, 2007 Maya Rock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The weakest of the Blossom Culp books but fun. Blossom time travels to the early eighties and you get to see what was cutting edge back then (Atari, I think.) There are some funny scenes...I was kind of annoyed because they never alluded to these characters in the other books and to me it was like this book might as well have not happened.
Kressel Housman
Jun 12, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans, anyone who was a teen in the 80's
This is the funniest of the “Blossom Culp” series, in which Blossom is magically transported to the 1980’s, landing in the room of a computer geek about her own age. The technological references date the book, but most of it is as timeless as Blossom herself. Early scenes in her own 1914 setting are especially funny, and anyone who was a teen in the 80’s will especially appreciate this book.
Donna
Mar 05, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in the Blossom Culp series. Outsider Blossum is snubved by Letty and her friends as they transform an old house into a haunted one for halloween. Blossom and Alexander explore thenhouse ahead of time only to be caqtapulted into the present to be faced with computers and modern technology unfamiliar in their world of 1914.
Natalie
May 12, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was so funny! blossom goes into the future and meets a boy. he talks about things that have been invented. blossom is from the 1910's, and she is going into the 1970's, so she wants to get caught up with what will be in her future [if she hasn't kicked the bucket yet:]. its a feel-good book that won't fail to make you smile [:
Laurie D'ghent
The thing that was most trippy about this book is that it's a girl from the turn of the century being launched into the future, which happens to be the past for us. I enjoyed remembering calling people "grody", but it lost a star for the main character watching the boys skinny dip and another for swearing.
Allie
Jan 30, 2016 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-gems
I teased myself by looking at a Goodreads list called Obscure Children's Vintage Gems. I started off by reading the second book in this series (which was in the Vintage Gems list), but that's all it took. Blossum Culp is downright hilarious. So I knew I had to read them all, and thanks to Open Library, I did. Of course, now I want to own them.
Emily Von pfahl
This is the last in the Blossom Culp books and it is the weakest of the four. I think it is because Alexander only has a bit part in it, but also because Blossom resists the temptation to find out how her life turned out which is disappointing for the reader since this is the last book.
Jessie
Jul 10, 2010 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At the time I read this I didn't know it was part of a series. Perhaps if I had read the first two books then I would have liked it. But this is the only book in the series that I have read and I didn't like it at all. I don't even want to go back and read the series in order.
LaSchelle
I did not realized until I started reading this that it is the 3rd in a series.

Cleaver combination of supernatural gifts, time travel, teen loners and loneliness, inept single parents and junior high school/high school. Loved the Shakespeare Hamlet quotes throughout the book.
Kate
Nothing on Ghosts I Have Been, but still good. I was less interested in Blossom traveling into the future (present) than the past, but I enjoyed how she was able to avenge herself on Lettie Shambaugh's granddaughter.
Margaret von Fizzlewick
The technology in this book is laughable, but I still get a kick out of it.
Nancy
some of the charm of his other books, not good for time travel
Cecilia Rodriguez
Narrated by sixteen year old Blossom Culp, the story is a funny time travel fantasy.
Peck makes repeated reference to Shakespeare's: "Hamlet," which also deals with ghost and haunting.
Gretel
Apr 13, 2013 Gretel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book when i was in the 4th grade, i think. I cant remember the whole story but i definitely remember that i enjoyed it. :)
Aleisa
Mar 13, 2008 Aleisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
Blossom is my favorite Peck character. And that's saying quite a bit.
Kitty Tomlinson
May 31, 2010 Kitty Tomlinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Blossom starts high school and helps at a “haunted house” and travels into the future.
LOL_BOOKS
DEPRESSION-ERA PSYCHIC GIRL AND HER RELUCTANT FRIEND FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACKS SOLVE MYSTERIES
David
May 04, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story with lots of humor.
Pam
May 28, 2008 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had some really funny parts, but between them it was only so-so.
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (Johnny Dixon, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Lizard Music
  • Jane-Emily
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • The Civil War: A History
  • Encyclopedia Brown's Book Of Strange But True Crimes
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • The Unicorn Chronicles (The Unicorn Chronicles #1-2)
  • Double Jeopardy (T*Witches, #6)
  • Lizzie for President (Lizzie McGuire, #16)
  • Roland Humphrey is Wearing a WHAT?
  • Children of the Wolf
  • The Nympho and Other Maniacs
  • Death Dines In
  • London Calling
  • Dusssie
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...

Blossom Culp (4 books)
  • The Ghost Belonged to Me (Blossom Culp, #1)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)