Start by marking “The Selected Poetry of Keats” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Selected Poetry of...

John Keats

The Selected Poetry of Keats

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  3,653 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
This is an entirely new selection of Keat's finest poetry containing all his best known work as well as a sample of less familiar pieces. Keats published three volumes of poetry before his death at age twenty-five of tuberculosis and, while many of his contemporaries were prompt to recognize his greatness, snobbery and political hostility led the Tory press to vilify and p ...more
Paperback, 1 page
Published August 1st 1966 by Signet Classics (first published January 1st 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Selected Poetry of Keats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selected Poetry of Keats

Patricia
Sep 23, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, reviewed
I was introduced to the poetry of John Keats by my eighth grade English teacher. It has been a long time since I've read more than a line or two. It is worth the time to get a little lost in his reveries.
Tim
Nov 07, 2011 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one star rating is essentially a judgment on me. Apparently, I'm too much of a barbarian to enjoy a book of poetry by a famous poet. I'm sure the poems, by and large, are meaningful and probing, but a class and a knowledgeable teacher are prerequisites to a mind expanding read for this reviewer.

Yes, among the 216 pages, I did come across the single line, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever ..." And Keat's musings on nature and the universe were intriguing, thinking back about his time from
Mark Donnelly
Dec 18, 2012 Mark Donnelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoyed finding out about John Keats and I was quite impressed with his ability to write lengthy poetry without once losing my attention. I am talking here about his piece, 'Endymion', which in my view is one of the best poems I have ever read.

Overall, an enjoyable read. I think it would have been nice to receive more of a life history of John Keats, because he was a gifted writer who had his life pulled short when he died of TB at 25.

Jakob Brønnum
Dec 29, 2014 Jakob Brønnum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is just something about Keats. A form of light in the lines seen nowhere else. A clarity. An urge for life itself. So enlightening getting to these primeordeal modern writers in your own pace, mot having been exposed to them in school. Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Browning, Byron. And Keats
Richard Epstein
Nov 19, 2013 Richard Epstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entirely new selection! As though the poet, dead at 25, had written a Collected Works like Browning's or Tennysons. Read 'em all; you've got nothing better to do. I mean that. Literally. Unless you haven't got round to Shakespeare or Milton yet, you've got nothing better to do.
Tom
May 18, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Far and away my favorite poet.
Samuel Coulson
Oct 11, 2016 Samuel Coulson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read only one collection of poetry in your lifetime, consider reading this.
Drew
Jun 12, 2014 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, romanticism
I almost gave this book three stars, since I really loved only a few of the Keats poems contained within, but the book as a whole gave me such a great look at his progression from start to finish. That was one intent of the editor, Elizabeth Cook. She writes in her introduction: "But to read Keats's poetry through in chronological sequence (the principle of this volume) is to be impressed with the astonishing speed with which it matures. Keats effectively produced his life's work in two years; t ...more
ZaRi
Sep 11, 2015 ZaRi added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem
Now Morning from her orient chamber came,
And her first footsteps touch'd a verdant hill;
Crowning its lawny crest with amber flame,
Silv'ring the untainted gushes of its rill;
Which, pure from mossy beds, did down distill,
And after parting beds of simple flowers,
By many streams a little lake did fill,
Which round its marge reflected woven bowers,
And, in its middle space, a sky that never lowers.

There the king-fisher saw his plumage bright
Vieing with fish of brilliant dye below;
Whose silken fins, and
Sarai
The longer poems I listened to on audio, and found that I enjoyed them a lot more when I did that. However, I wasn't completely in love with this collection--I much prefer the poems relating to love, nature, and self-reflection rather than the poems that were inspired by Greek mythology, which were some of the longest poems in the collection and there were several of them so they took up a large portion of the book. These poems just weren't for me.

I did manage to mark down the poems I loved the
Emily
Mar 20, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Keats. I think he is one of the more accessible and approachable poets. Certainly his poetry is hit and miss with some being fantastic and some being mediocre. That he died so young and so tragically (but oh so in the Romantic way of things!) is of course sad but I wonder if that doesn't lend some ethereal magicalness to his writings. I suppose the other way to look at it is that if he would have lived longer he surely would have produced more and greater poems.
Melissa
Nov 07, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This selection includes some of his famous poems, like "Bright Star" and "Ode to a Nightingale." Keats beautiful words still resonate two centuries later. I could swim in a phrase like,

"And still she slept an azure-lidded sleep, In blanched linen, smooth, and lavender’d." from The Eve of St. Agnes.

His musings on death are all the more poignant because he died when he was only 25. I can't help wondering what he would have written if he'd lived longer.
Mikki Joiner
This rating is a personal response to Keats' poetry. It bores me to tears and evokes nothing within me. I love poetry- but only that which makes me feel something and his works don't do that for me. Perhaps this is because I was forced to study it for my VCE literature class but I think it's more because its all about fairy clouds and love. It lacks intensity.
Tom Ireland
Jan 05, 2012 Tom Ireland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is sublime, as is only to be suspected. Dipping into the book, you are borne away on half familiar verses (so embedded in our culture is Keats) and on to entirely unfamiliar ones to delight over and over again.

Read the rest of my review here.
Jen
Nov 15, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So enjoyable to read Keats poetry, even more so than when it was assigned in school. I leisurely read his poems while eating breakfast and drinking really delicious hot cocoa. It was fun looking at notes I took in school about these poems, and hearing in my head the voice of my favorite professor while he talked about them.
Lisa Sweet
Oct 09, 2011 Lisa Sweet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swoon! I can always read Keats. What a master at construction, meter, and rhyme. If you give his poems enough time, I feel they reveal his complex philosophy on life too. It is truly tragic that he died so young and didn't have more time to live his life and expand his craft. Fantastic poetry that's not too hard to work through but ever so rewarding as you do.
Brendan Brooks
hard slog, i forget now why he was classified as a romantic in the sense that a lot of his work was in classical style, rhymes and metre. Then the odes and the pervasive themses of nature and the pastural has him back in the category. The mythology is tough to get through for me.
Hriday
Feb 07, 2008 Hriday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Very touching. To be read with a leisurely mind. But i found the language quite complicated due to myriad references to Greek mythology - so missed out the context altogether. But those few poems i could understand, i appreciated thoroughly.
Sammy
Sep 10, 2016 Sammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
One of my top dozen pre-WWII poets in the English language, alongside Shakespeare, Dryden, Wordsworth, Emerson, Wadsworth Longfellow, Whitman, Dickinson, Tennyson, Christina Rossetti, Yeats, and Wallace Stevens.
Thetravelingpanda
I don't think Keats is one of my favorite poet. I enjoyed most of his poetry especially the one of the nightingale but some of them had too much reference to classics which were a bit drowning his style into a mass of knowledge necessary to read the poems.
Kriangkrai Vathanalaoha
I prefer to the poem called "The Ode to Nightingale" for the rest of the book. It's quite completely thrilled to take a glimpse on it. (Although it's a tough task for a beginner reader, that's for sure.)
Zahra AlQattan
Aug 28, 2014 Zahra AlQattan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" Sweet Hope, ethereal balm upon me shed,
And wave thy silver pinions o’er my head. "
Madalin the Christian Cat Lady
I love Keats works!
Matt Holmes
He aight.
Amy
Sep 15, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wordswordswords
One of my favorite poets -
Phoebe Macdonald
May 11, 2014 Phoebe Macdonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourites were "la belle dame sans merci", "ode on melancholy" and the delightful nonsense verse "on mrs Reynolds' cat".

Will be revisiting.
Michael
This was my first favorite. When I was a young teen, I carried this collection around everywhere I went. I still have it. It's held together with duct tape.
Susan Carter
Sep 20, 2016 Susan Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent compilation from my favorite poet.
Stephen
Dec 11, 2007 Stephen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Keats is one Britt poet you'll inevitably come into contact with when studying literature. His most famous poem, Ode to a nightingale, is probably my favorite of his.
  • Selected Poetry
  • Poetry, Drama and Prose
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • The Metaphysical Poets
  • Selected Poetry
  • Lord Byron: The Major Works
  • The Complete Poetry
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am ...more
More about John Keats...

“What is this world's delight,
Lightening that mocks the night,
Brief as even as bright”
9 likes