Start by marking “Thaw” as Want to Read:
Thaw
Read Book* *Different edition

Thaw

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Ruth is 32-years-old & doesn't know if she wants to be 33. Her ordered, lonely life as a microbiologist is starved of pleasure & devoid of meaning. She decides to give herself three months to decide whether or not to end her life, & we read her daily diary as she struggles to make sense of her past & grapples with the pain of the present.
Published January 1st 2010 by Snowbooks (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thaw

Christine Bode
Stars: 5.0

British author Fiona Robyn has written a visceral, poignant, and often agonizing story of a young woman named Ruth White who at 32-years-of-age doesn’t know whether she wants to be 33. Her small life is unfulfilling, seemingly void of love or meaning, and the death of her mother when she was a young girl haunts her still.

Her relationships are strained and awkward and her self-esteem is almost non-existent, even though she is well-educated and works as a microbiologist. Ruth is very goo
Krista the Bald Avenger
May 31, 2010 Krista the Bald Avenger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Krista the Bald Avenger by: Fiona Robyn
Currently reading the online/blog version of "Thaw"--it is amazing and such a clever way for the author to make this novel accessible to everyone. GREAT format! About a week to go...

This review refers to the online version at read-thaw.blogspot.com.

I LOVED Thaw. I've never read a novel online. I'm an old-fashioned girl who likes to hold a book made of paper, carry it around with me.

Thaw changed all that. I owe it mostly due to Fiona Robyn's brilliant style for this novel--in diary form, one post
Sharon
I couldn't put this one down. Ruth is so real and tragic she made my heart hurt. Some books stay in your head and heart forever, and this is one of them. Profound.
Julie Gengo
Erin Lee
I loved and hated the ending of this book in pretty much equal measures.
Kenetha Stanton
I read this book in one sitting because I grew to care so much about Ruth, the main character, that I couldn't stand the suspense of wondering what she would decide at the end of her three months. Ruth is portrayed in an honest and heartbreaking way as we explore her past wounds and the challenges those create in her current life through her eyes. Her slow reveal of her story in her journal makes her sympathetic and astoundingly real.

The other characters that populate Ruth's life are also drawn
Kristi
Thaw was a powerful and emotional journey. The story that Ruth told the reader through her private journal was so real that I almost felt as if I was invading her privacy. She was a deeply depressed character, and at first the premise that she was spending three months trying to decide if she would end her life was troubling for me. However, after reading several days worth of her thoughts, I was caught up in her life and her thoughts of why she might want to end it.

Fiona Robyn created a hauntin
Redheadjen
Received this in a goodreads giveaway and immediately wanted to follow Ruth's story. As Ruth's story unfolds, you realize why she feels the way she does about life. I really like how her decision has freed her to try new things in life. When my son was diagnosed with cancer, we started realizing how many things we had been putting off or not doing that would make us happy - what are we all waiting for?

I wish I could see Red's paintings - powerful idea - what a way to make you see in the mirror.
I actually give this a 3 1/2 star rating but can't figure out how to give a 1/2 star LOL. Good read but not sure I actually "loved' this book. I think, if we are being honest, we all can relate to this book at times in our lives. Not sure that's such a good thing, but I am being truthful in saying it.
Kathleen
I identified with Ruth in many ways, though not, thank God, the cutting.
Still, in many ways we are much alike, sometimes, it was scary.
I am so glad it was a happy ending for her, at least for awhile. And so, too, with me.
Great book.
Kate Hewitt
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's utterly riveting, even though not a lot happens. I ached for the narrator, absolutely ached for her. Definitely recommended!
Dawn
Following this woman's tragic & lonely life through her journal. The reader is pulled into this book from the very beginning. A very tragic story.
Adri
This was by no means an easy book to read. In fact, I found it to be bitterly painful a lot of the time. There is so much with which one can identify, but there is also so much which stays just below the surface. Often there is a small surge of hope, which is just a quickly dampened. And all of this causes one to sway hither an thither - hope and despair, despair and hope. And in the end it is all left dangling, for each of us to make up our own minds.

Fine writing indeed. My one minor criticism
Maria
The book is written in diary form, one entry for each day that Ruth has given herself to decide whether or not to keep on living. Robyn used the structure to make some powerful statements; some days the entries were really long, and on others all the pages contained was the date.

This book was so beautiful. Every emotion was written so vividly, so creepily clearly. One of my favourite parts is near the beginning, where Ruth is explaining how sadness can just suddenly overtake her:
As I walked th
WifeMomKnitter
Jun 01, 2010 WifeMomKnitter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to WifeMomKnitter by: Fiona Robyn
Shelves: book-splash
The website blurb description:

"Ruth is thirty two years old and doesn't know if she wants to be thirty three. Her meticulously-ordered lonely life as a microbiologist is starved of pleasure and devoid of meaning. She decides to give herself three months to decide whether or not to end her life, and we read her daily diary as she struggles to make sense of her past and grapples with the pain of the present. 'Thaw' explores what makes any of our lives worth living. Can Red, the eccentric Russian a
Joy  Cagil
Thaw is the story of Ruth who suffers from a deep-rooted depression. The depression may have started earlier when she was in an impressionable age, or if it were present already, it was made stronger with by her mother’s long illness and death. Although Ruth puts up a good front, in her misery, Ruth decides to kill herself. From that decision on, her life starts to change and good things begin to happen to her.

When Ruth decides to have her portrait painted as a gift to her father, she meets the
Melee
[Read online here.]

I wasn't planning on reading Thaw so quickly, but I couldn't help myself! It's not so much that I was dying to know how it ended, I was just enjoying the "journey", I suppose, of getting to the end. I really like Fiona Robyn's writing, her prose was quite beautiful in parts.

I'm not sure I ever exactly loved Ruth, the main character. I think because we're a lot more alike than I'd like to admit. Reading her story brought back quite a few memories since I went through some of th
Sassy Brit
Ruth doesn't know if she wants to live or die, so she gives herself 92 days to think about it, choosing to mull over her final decision by writing a diary. Some days are better than others, but just as she is picking herself up and dusting herself down, her father is in a car accident. Now they may never reconcile their differences. And her will to stop cutting herself wavers.

Day-by-day Ruth shares her suffering for all to see, as if when she dies it will be a kind of explanation for what she ha
sisterimapoet
Yet again I find reading a Robyn novel a lot like meeting a new acquaintance. It’s a process of getting to know them, seeing if we hit it off. And I’m still not altogether sure about Ruth, perhaps in part because she’s not that certain of herself. Robyn creates characters that you have to work to get close to, they don’t invite you in easily, and yet it’s hard to walk away from them.

Written entirely in the form of a diary, at times this form seemed to constrain the writing – however, this was o
Kate
A roller coaster ride that leaves one a little disturbed, but is remarkably honest. There are lots of great thought provoking insights which leaves me wondering how much the author has experienced herself.

Certainly worth reading - if for the style alone. Each day is diariesed and really readable. To say more would mean a spoiler alert (which is not my style). Towards the end I found myself speeding up my reading to find out the ulimate answer of Ruths three month quest to decide if she will choo
Janette Jones
My first Fiona Robyn's book and I wasn't disappointed. The flow in this book was incredibly. Instantly you were transported to the diary of some one who didn't quite fit in to society, her hopes, insecurities and faults. Page by page, you were painfully aware of her thought process of wanting to die, willing her to gain confidence or for some one to just befriend her. A very easy read but incredibly thought provoking.
Natalie Richards
This is a really emotional read. Satya Robyn has written a book that I`m sure many people could identify with, I certainly did. Who doesn`t wonder "what is it all about?". The writing is so beautiful in places; one part in particular is haunting to me "What sums do you do to find out whether it`s worth it in the long run, all the hurt? How do you work out whether it`s worth making friends with the snowman before he melts?".
Jodie
Ruth is so flawed and so real. She decides to prove, through journal writing, why her life is not worth living. Whether or not she achieves that goal is up to the reader. Her experiences, feelings and decisions seem so raw and real. I kept reading to discover where Ruth's life would go. She is a well-developed character, and I truly enjoyed this book.
Charlotte Diamandis
The beauty of this book cannot be put into words It is the best book that I have read in ages. You are transported into a whole new world where much of Ruth's life can be related to. The highs and lows guide you through the book and force you to continue reading. At the end you are left in a permanent state of reflection and awe .
Carrie Bray
the beginning was very slow then I had to get to the end to see what happened not be caused I cared but I had to know. I did enjoy the art references and looked up many of them. I think I can identify with the character often so that I think made it too real for me at this time in my life.
Ruth is 32 years old. She lost her mother at 14 and feels as if she is "existing" , not living. Her depression leads her to make the decision to die in 3 months time. During the 3 months she writes a journal that she plans to leave to her loved ones. Worth the read.
Rachel Hawes
I read this a chapter a day on Fiona's blog.

Beautifully written but I ended up really not liking Ruth (the main character) I'm afraid. I just wanted to shake her, tell her to seize life with both hands.

I wonder if that was the point though?
Eileen Holmes-ievers
I really enjoy Fiona/Satya's writing and I felt compelled to follow Ruth on her journey. My only complaint is the ending. Can't really say anymore. There could be triggers for some self-harmers though, so be careful.
Jenifer Jacobs
As a therapist, this felt true true true. So hard but the mindfulness came through. It is terribly difficult to be Ruth, yet you are proud of her for growing.
Lindsey
Good book but slow to get into. The book is done in a journal format and felt very disjointed at times, but overall it's a good read.
Thaw 3 4 Jun 13, 2013 03:21PM
  • Too Jewish
  • Song at Dawn
  • Rebecca
  • Chattanooga
  • By Eastern Windows
  • The Sixth Discipline (Haven #1)
  • Pearl
  • Condemn Me Not
  • Asleep Without Dreaming
  • The Line, the Itch and the Rabbit Hole
  • Don't Wait For Me
  • Nightmare Along the River Nile (Paperback)
  • Still Waters
  • Cocktail Hour
  • Seventy-Two Hours
  • Fairy Tale Lust: Erotic Fantasies for Women
  • Texas Jack
  • 3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White
Satya Robyn is a novelist living in Malvern, the UK. She wrote the best-selling 'The Most Beautiful Thing'. Her new novel is 'Afterwards' is out now. Her author site is here.

She founded Writing Our Way Home with her husband Kaspa and their mission is to help people connect with the world through writing.

She posts a short piece of observational writing called a small stone daily at a small stone.
More about Satya Robyn...
The Most Beautiful Thing Small Kindnesses Blue Handbag The Letters A Blackbird Sings: a book of short poems