Start by marking “The Muse of the Revolution: The Secret Pen of Mercy Otis Warren and the Founding of a Nation” as Want to Read:

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Praised by her mentor John Adams, Mercy Otis Warren was America's first woman playwright and female historian of the American Revolution. In this unprecedented biography, Nancy Rubin Stuart reveals how Warren's provocative writing made her an exception among the largely voiceless women of the eighteenth century.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Muse of the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Muse of the Revolution

Barbara
I found this book interesting, but when I was finished I had no opinion as to whether or not Mercy Otis Warren was important. The main feeling I had was that she held her husband back from doing more to further the causes they both believed in. I would have liked to know the influence of her writings. To me the most interesting parts of the book dealt with her friendship with Abigail Adams, and the contrasts between the two women.
Lindsey Duncan
An in-depth portrait of an obscure figure from the American Revolution, this book skillfully portrays Mercy Otis Warren both in her capacity as a political writer and as an exceptional woman of her time. Much care is taken to portray the life she lived around her famous works and illuminate her as a person. The book is liberally (but strategically) sprinkled with quotes from her letters, poems and plays, and also includes some quotes from reply correspondence.

This book is both informative and en
I thought this book was very interesting. I enjoyed reading about a woman who was literate and outspoken for her time period. The most interesting parts of the book were her correspondence with influential people of the period especially John and Abigail Adams. Reading about daily life during the Revolution and formative years of our governement was enjoyable too. I don't see how she was the "muse" of the period nor how influential her and her husband were at the time. I do think she prevented h ...more
Alex Bugaeff
Great blend of story telling and history. Stuart has a neutral take on this little-known woman of the founding period - no axes to grind.
Anna
This book is an outstanding, well-researched account of the life of Mercy Otis Warren. Not a page goes by without the author quoting from a personal diary or letter. Full of primary sources and detalied research, this book is not only a informational history of Warren's life, but also a fact-filled perspective of the lives of other founding fathers and their wives and the history of the American Revolution and its aftermath. This book is by far one of the most compelling biographies I have read.
Bonnie
I was glad I read this book. I enjoyed learning more about Mercy Otis Warren. She was a fascinating woman and far ahead of her time in many ways. However, I was not enamoured with the writing style in the book and found that it ended very abruptly.
Elizabeth Desole
It's so nice to read about a woman of this time who did more than work behind the scenes. A thorough and for the most part entertaining history of a woman who more than deserves her name to be remembered along with male writers of the revolution
Phyllis
Interesting account of Mercy Otis Warren's influence through her satirical writings, and through her friendship with John and Abigail Adams. Warren's writings had a direct influence on the development of the Bill of Rights.
Marley
This was very interesting. I love the history lesson and that she lived in Plymouth. But I wasn't dying to pick this up and read more. Still, a good read.
Kari
Truly fascinating biography of a very underrated force in the Revolution. Research is impressive!
Vicky
"And thus the last frail reed is broken"- Good read..
Mary Casey
Mary Casey marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Lady Nefertankh
Lady Nefertankh marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Kristi
Kristi is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Sue Lloyd
Sue Lloyd marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Kelly Bridges
Kelly Bridges marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Dori
Dori marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Figmentlady
Figmentlady marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nancy Rubin Stuart is an award-winning author and journalist who specializes in women, biography and social history.

A graduate of Tufts University with a B.A. in English and an M.A.T. from Brown University, Nancy holds an honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters from Mount Vernon College, now part of Georgetown University.

Nancy just won the 2009 Historic Winslow House Book Award on behalf of her lat
More about Nancy Rubin Stuart...
Defiant Brides: The Untold Story of Two Revolutionary-Era Women and the Radical Men They Married American Empress: The Life and Times of Marjorie Merriweather Post Isabella of Castile: The First Renaissance Queen The Reluctant Spiritualist: The Life of Maggie Fox American Empress