Start by marking “All Cats Are Gray” as Want to Read:
All Cats Are Gray

All Cats Are Gray

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  352 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Under normal conditions a whole person has a decided advantage over a handicapped one. But out in deep space the normal may be reversed--for humans at any rate.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 1953)

To ask other readers questions about All Cats Are Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Cats Are Gray

Stephen
Nov 06, 2010 Stephen rated it did not like it
1.0 stars. A pretty pointless short story about a person with a very minor handicap (if you even consider color-blindness a handicap) whose unique view "saves the day" in a most uninteresting fashion. The best thing I can say about it is that it was very, very short (under 10 pages).
Kandice
Jun 27, 2016 Kandice rated it did not like it
There are a bunch of these supposedly classic sci-fi stories in a waiting room I have been frequenting lately. This was a classic only in the sense that it was classically pointless!

I can't even say what was silly about it without spoiling, but, trust me, it's not worth the effort or time.
Ralph McEwen
Salvage of a space hulk that no one could accomplish.

Audio Book MP3 downloaded from

Public Domain stories from Project Gutenberg, that are read by volunteers.
I listen to these short stories while walking to and from work.

Play Duration: 00:15:34
Read By: Gregg Margarite
Dj
Jun 04, 2014 Dj rated it liked it
A short, in fact it qualifies more as a short story than most anything else, quick read. Interestingly enough, the fact that all Cats are gray has nothing to do with the color of the cat, but the fact that they see in gray scale. Still it was a wonderfully fun read and is going to lead me to reading more by the author, who somehow I overlooked growing up.

Would talk more about the book itself, but to do so would be to spoil any of the surprises that the author put forward in the book. And that w
Steve Nelson
Jan 25, 2011 Steve Nelson rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I read this one from a free ePub download. It's the first work by Andre Norton that I've read and I guess I was expecting more.

This is a short story but has an interesting premise that I think could have been expanded into something more intriguing.

I liked it enough to try other works by Norton, but not enough to keep this on my iPad for re-reading.
Kelley
Oct 14, 2011 Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, space-ship, kindle
One of my favorite short shorts stories by one of my favorite authors. Quite different for its time period with a knowledgeable female protagonist and her grey cat. This is one story I wish she had expanded. There is not much detail or background but it encapsulates a beautiful little tale.
Keith
Dec 22, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story by Andre Norton. Original story from Fantistic Universe Science Fiction, August - September 1953. I read it at gutenberg.org/etext/29019.
I read many Andre Norton books when I was young. This is a short introduction to her writing. A pleasant read.
Natalien
Straight-forward very short story; very sci-fi with space and special powers; not life changing or entertaining much. It might have been written as a 'confidence boost' piece for someone with (view spoiler).
Brenda Mengeling
Nov 19, 2011 Brenda Mengeling rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, ebook, 48
Very short, short story with an interesting premise. The writing was snappy, and I liked the cat. It could have easily been expanded, but I don't think anything crucial is missing from the story.
Julie
My first Andre Norton story. It definitely has that "old-school sci-fi" feel - gritty and not really driven by emotion. It was good, though; I will definitely read more of her stuff.
Kat
Apr 24, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This story had a cool idea, but I wish it had been longer. I wouuld have liked to see it fleshed out a bit more.
Uriah
Apr 24, 2011 Uriah rated it really liked it
An early Andre Norton story. A short story, it is an easy read and interesting. The premise could have been expanded.
Chris
What if Alien had cats?

You would get this tale.

Love this story. Short, sweet, very well written.
Clytie Siddall
Mar 12, 2011 Clytie Siddall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, sf
As a disabled person, I love the way this story questions our definition of "able".
Lindsay
Nov 29, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, z2010, kindle
A quick read on my kindle, and quite a nice story.
Andrea
A quick, classic Norton.
Alejandra
Feb 28, 2014 Alejandra rated it did not like it
The title caught my eye, but as soon as I was finished with page 2 I was done with this book...

It completely failed to keep my attention and I couldn't bother to read the rest of it (even though it's only 10 pages)...

My main dislike was that the story is too space-related and too little description to give youself an idea of what's really going on in there and immerse youself in the panorama, plus I didn't get to like any of the characters... *sigh* it's such a pitty because it was so promisin
Jen
Feb 05, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really liked this one. It's short, sweet and to the point. I think what I liked the most about it is the thought of a derelict pleasure craft that none could salvage because of a mystery that caused those who boarded her to vanish or flee unable to communicate what they experienced. A fortune that no one could access. Kind of romantic in a buried, cursed treasure sort of way. Also, one of the characters is a cat. What's not to love? Thank you Project Guttenburg!
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
A derelict spaceship is floating around out there, a fabulous treasure for the lucky sod who manages to capture it. What happened to the crew and passengers? What happened to those who've tried to salvage it over the years?

It reminds me of Asimov's scifi mysteries, which I dearly loved back in the day. Of course, in '53 this would have been notable for having a smart, capable, unattractive female in a starring role. And a cat.

Fun.
deeann linford
Oct 08, 2014 deeann linford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but will hold your attention till the end.

A short space story but as usual spellbinding when told by a master storyteller. Who else can transport a reader from the doldrums in a spaceport dive to-----read and enjoy.
Josie
May 21, 2015 Josie rated it really liked it
I got an e-book version of this. I didn't realize that this was a short story until it ended. I wanted more.
Carla Remy
May 13, 2015 Carla Remy rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Pet cats in space. Haunted space station. This story is silly (1950s), but it delighted me.
Jc
May 29, 2015 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful little tale. It has all the elements a short story needs and nothing else.
◈ ɣεɾɑ ◈
It was alright. Kind of boring, but alright.
Anya
Sep 21, 2013 Anya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A.N.
Mar 19, 2014 A.N. rated it it was ok
5/10. Invisible shades of gray.
Genevieve
Aug 10, 2014 Genevieve rated it liked it
Short story, downloaded from Project Gutenberg.
Angie
Jun 03, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
finished 6/3/14
Daniel Draney
Feb 10, 2014 Daniel Draney rated it liked it
eh, it was interesting, but way too short.
Цветозар Бонев
Tumblr's wet dream set in paper.
This is what you get when you think up a shit idea, forget that an interesting plot has to exist (or a plot at all) and give up writing 2 pages in. Honestly the best part about this "book" is that there's a cat in it (yes, i'm that kind of person).
0/5
Not even literature at this point.
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from the Mabinogion
  • Grace Immaculate
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles
  • Agent of Vega & Other Stories
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition
  • The Gods of Mars/The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #2-3)
  • The Demon You Know (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom #4.5)
  • Space Viking
  • Inconstant Star (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Little Girl Lost (The Valley of Ten Crescents, #0.5)
  • Sleepers Of Mars
  • Dialogues de bêtes
  • Extreme Animals: The Toughest Creatures on Earth
  • Star Light
  • The Dorsai Companion (Childe Cycle, #8)
  • Cats in Space and Other Places
  • Delightfully Twisted Tales: Wisps, Spells and Faerie Tales (Volume Four)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...