Start by marking “Beyond Cosmic Dice: Moral Life in a Random World” as Want to Read:
Beyond Cosmic Dice: Moral Life in a Random World

Beyond Cosmic Dice: Moral Life in a Random World

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Beyond Cosmic Dice offers a new perspective on the purpose and meaning of life free from any divine influence. By rejecting the false premises of religion, readers are free to pave their own road for a better life.
Published June 1st 2009 by Jacquie Jordan (first published April 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Cosmic Dice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Cosmic Dice

William Nist
Oct 10, 2015 William Nist rated it it was amazing
I have personally been looking for a moral foundation broader than Secular Humanism. This book addresses that need by sketching a 'Natural Ethic' that rests on biological evolutionary reality. The issues of just what is "alive", of when homo sapiens became human, the commonalities of all animals on the living continuum, and behavior that can be derived from this analysis, make up the bulk of the work.

Since rejecting any external supernatural moral imperatives, a book like this begins to satisfy
Larry Deutsch
Excellent presentation of the case for secular humanism. Dr. Schweitzer writes with clarity and humour. I look forward to finishing the book and will add a review.

Just finished the book. Highly recommended. It will make you think and reflect.

Book
Jun 24, 2011 Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: atheism-religion
Beyond Cosmic Dice by Jeff Schweitzer and Guiseppe Notarbartolo-di-Sciara

"Beyond Cosmic Dice..." is a philosophical book that looks at the meaning of life through secular eyes. It makes a strong case that humans must create their own ethics without interference of religious dogma. This 258-page book is composed of the following three parts: Part I: Human Kind Inperspective, Part II. Religion and Morality, and Part III. A New Natural Ethic.

Positives:
1. It's an accessible, well-written book tha
Linda
Aug 13, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
It's difficult for me to give an unbiased opinion since the book basically just validates my existing opinions. But despite some pointed comments and snark, the authors do a good job of explaining logically and scientifically how there is a distinct difference between religious morality and natural ethics. They explore how religion can actually prevent us from being the compassionate and tolerant humans were are meant to be (especially dogmatic religion), how we got to this place, and how we can ...more
Erich
Sep 24, 2014 Erich rated it it was amazing
Nice piece of work...I know Giuseppe Notarbartolo, the co-author, and I was pleased to see his sense of humour and life view coming through. It was like having an extended conversation with him but nicely put together with Jeff's arguments as well. A book to dip back into and come back to....
Scott
Aug 28, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
This book makes you think about where we come from as a species, and why we think we're so special. How do we come to morals and society? Hint: we don't need to rely on a god to tell us right from wrong - it's part of our evolution.
Luke Radl
Jan 21, 2010 Luke Radl rated it really liked it
Great book. Nothing really novel to me, it was one of those books that is like a tour of my mind and codifies a lot of my own thought processes into something far more tangible than words I could have used.
Paul Fournier
Sep 05, 2010 Paul Fournier rated it really liked it
Pretty decent book. A little slow paced and tedious in the first chapters. Last two chapters really bring the whole thing in nicely.
Martin Armstrong
Nov 21, 2010 Martin Armstrong rated it liked it
Very informative but I felt like it fell apart in the last chapter.
Sanjiv Mehta
Sanjiv Mehta marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Ryan Urie
Ryan Urie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
John T. Adams III
John T. Adams III rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Matt Neapolitan
Matt Neapolitan rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
John Grahame
John Grahame rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Carthagodelindaest
Carthagodelindaest marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Spencer
Spencer rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2014
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Gillian Canvin
Gillian Canvin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Chad Miller
Chad Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Gwk
Gwk rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2014
Tom Patterson
Tom Patterson marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Ryan Butler
Ryan Butler rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Rok Čančer
Rok Čančer rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Rich Irwin
Rich Irwin marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Skyler Myers
Skyler Myers marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Francis Kayiwa
Francis Kayiwa marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
make a case for secular humanism 1 4 May 12, 2010 06:31AM
2054109
Dr. Jeff Schweitzer is a marine biologist, consultant and internationally recognized authority in ethics, conservation and development. He is the author of five books including Calorie Wars: Fat, Fact and Fiction (July 2011), and A New Moral Code (2010). Dr. Schweitzer has spoken at numerous international conferences in Asia, Russia, Europe and the United States.

Dr. Schweitzer's work is based on h
More about Jeff Schweitzer...

“When Charles Darwin published On the Origin of Species in 1859, he exposed the world to a momentous discovery . For the first time in history, human beings were seen not as creatures of divine origin, but instead, as a product of nature, an animal like every other on the planet. Imagine yourself back in that amazing year. The day before Darwin’s book was published, you wake up thinking yourself the image of God; the next morning you realize you have the face of a monkey. Not everybody immediately embraced this rude demotion from god to goat.” 4 likes
“Human beings are not inevitable, and our brief existence is not preordained to be extended into the distant future. If Homo sapiens is to have a continued presence on earth, humankind will reevaluate its sense of place in the world and modify its strong species-centric stewardship of the planet. Our collective concepts of morality and ethics have a direct impact on our species’ ultimate fate.” 2 likes