Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Queen Victoria was the longest reigning monarch in British history. In this concise biography, Lady Longford, long recognized as an authority on the subject, gives a full account of Queen Victoria’s life and provides her unique assessment of the monarch. Victoria ascended the throne in 1837 on the death of her uncle William IV. In 1840 she married her first cousin, Prince...more
Published May 1st 2009 by The History Press (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Queen Victoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Victoria

H. P. Reed
One of the better biographies of Queen Victoria, this was beautifully written, well researched, with meaningful notes and references. Lady Longford has respect but not reverence for her subject, and is able to make, where possible, Victoria's motives and actions clear without using psychological speculation or her own inference. A highly entertaining read.
Sue
Fascinating, but written in that oblique English way of referring to things by other than their real names ... e.g. lots of references to VR's difficult 'temperament', her lack of control over her emotions and the effects of 'the change' - presumably menopause! Probably not surprising given that the book was first written in the 60s and has recently been re-released, but still rather frustrating for the contemporary reader! After I finished the book I felt that now I had the basic sweep of thing...more
Amy
I really enjoyed this book. It helped connect a lot of dots for me. We don't often get a "big picture" of Queen Victoria. A lot of the stuff I've seen and heard of her was caricature. There was a lot more to her life and times than I had seen on the surface.

This book was also great for a concise summary. Most of the time, if I just want an introduction or an overview, I have to read a kids book, but this wasn't a tone that was talking down to me like a kid. I appreciated that.

The down side was t...more
Naghmeh
It was a good book and the writer had explained all the events very well. but I read the persian version and the translator some wheres had showed some historical faults of writer and had written that the writer's mistakes were intentional because she is English and so she has tried to cover some facts for example the fact of England's colonization in some african countries and India and some of England's mistakes in wars. But I couldn't judge it because I haven't read about English' history a l...more
Brian
As a blurb on the cover states, Longford's "Queen Victoria" is an excellent introduction to the life of the longest-reigning British monarch. This slim (114 pages) volume covers Victoria's life from birth to death, provides insight into her personal life and discusses her love of Prince Consort Albert, her deep friendship with loyal retainer John Brown, the births of her nine children, and the politics of her time. The best part of this introduction (interesting as it is), is the style in which...more
Megan Bodwell
It was a fairly good introduction to the life of Queen Victoria, however at only 118 pages of text, it was very much cramming too much information into too short a book. There was no room for explanations of people, places, or events. This was detrimental because quite often the book jumped back and forth between dates. As is the case with many biographies, the tone is very dry and more concerned with spitting out facts than creating a story. I do love researching Queen Victoria, so I overlooked...more
Lori
This book was intriguing in the early to middle chapters, where the author presented more fully developed stories/relationships from Victoria's life. Towards the end, however, the chapters became more like the rattling off of lists that fit the chapter's theme. Not altogether uninteresting, but certainly not reading what I would call engrossing.

Overall, I think the fact that I finished a book of this length must be some testament to the ability of the writer and the worthiness of the subject.
Pauline Walters
This is a hefty tome and although I am a fast reader, it took me a while to finish it. It's a comprehensive account of Victoria's life and I'm not sure you would ever need to read another volume. I hadn't realised that she was so needy and just how poor a mother she was but that's putting a twenty first century bias onto a woman who died not long after my grandparents were born. I'm glad I read it and would recommend it to anyone who has some reading stamina.
Beth Withers
Thankfully, this was a short book. I felt like I was drop-kicked right into British history. I didn't understand much of what went on because so much of the book wasn't about Victoria but the politics during her reign. If your English, then this might be more beneficial, but with my sketchy knowledge of English political history, this wasn't as helpful as I wished it to be.
A very readable biography and incredibly detailed for the length. Of course, not much historical detail was possible given how short the book is, but a very fair introduction to the life of Queen Victoria and a good lead-in to a longer work.
Ashkan Ansari
تنها می توان بگویم بخشی از تاریخ است که به گونه ای سرگرم کننده سرهم شده است. خواندنش بد نیست ولی آنچنان نیست که دوباره آن را بخوانم
Catherine
Very comprehensive, almost unncessarily so. Managed to keep my interest even during dry discussions of Home Rule.
Rachel Peterson
This is a wordy read...energy sapping almost. I will go back as topic interests me
Nazgol
I like Victoria.Her love toward his husband and their relationship are admirable.
Tahereh
این کتاب فوقالعاده هست
به نظرم اطلاعات نویسنده واقعا بالاست.
Steve Alker
Dull, detailed and worthy, rather than engaging!
Thomas Carson
Thomas Carson marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
FeReSHte
FeReSHte marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sarah Wagner
Sarah Wagner marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Phyllis A
Phyllis A marked it as to-read
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Ngaio
Ngaio marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • Queen Victoria
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
  • The Young Victoria
  • Her Little Majesty: The Life of Queen Victoria
  • An Uncommon Woman - The Empress Frederick: Daughter of Queen Victoria, Wife of the Crown Prince of Prussia, Mother of Kaiser Wilhelm
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Ladies in Waiting: From the Tudors to the Present Day
  • Becoming Queen
  • Victoria's Daughters
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • The Life and Times of Grigorii Rasputin
Elizabeth Harman was born on 30 August 1906. She was the daughter of Nathaniel Bishop Harman. She married Sir Francis Aungier Pakenham, 7th Earl of Longford, son of Thomas Pakenham, 5th Earl of Longford and Lady Mary Julia Child-Villiers, on 3 November 1931. She died on 23 October 2002.
Her married name became Pakenham.

The Elizabeth Longford Prize for Historical Biography was established in 2003 in...more
More about Elizabeth Longford...
Wellington, Volume I: The Years of the Sword Wellington The Oxford Book of Royal Anecdotes Wellington, Volume II: Pillar of State Victoria